Would you take Kouandjio in the 2nd?

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
You don't have to buy into Parnell and Weems as starters in 2015; however, Free is serviceable for 2014 and Parnell is at least serviceable as the backup. They liked Weems enough to keep him on the 53 man roster all season as a developmental player.

It's one of the few positions that to me,that is probably best to wait and address it in the 2015 draft. If you're going to try to develop a guy like Weems, you might as well commit to doing it. Drafting another OT would like squeeze him off the roster.

It's the opposite situation at OG. They have Zero depth there. They could stand to add both a legit backup and a developmental player.

Waiting to address OT in any capacity until the 2015 draft means either a) need to re-sign Free, b) Parnell/Weems starts, or c) rookie draft pick starts. That's really painting yourself into a corner IMO. That said, I'd only take a guy who is purely a tackle if he's a very nice value. Kouandjio would be that at #47, but I generally agree that the OG situation is a bit rougher. Perfect solution is selecting a guy capable of playing both (Martin, Bitonio, Billy Turner, Mewhort, Brandon Thomas). This way the guy provides depth at both OG/OT, can challenge to start at OG in 2014, and can do the same at RT in 2015.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Waiting to address OT in any capacity until the 2015 draft means either a) need to re-sign Free, b) Parnell/Weems starts, or c) rookie draft pick starts. That's really painting yourself into a corner IMO. That said, I'd only take a guy who is purely a tackle if he's a very nice value. Kouandjio would be that at #47, but I generally agree that the OG situation is a bit rougher. Perfect solution is selecting a guy capable of playing both (Martin, Bitonio, Billy Turner, Mewhort, Brandon Thomas). This way the guy provides depth at both OG/OT, can challenge to start at OG in 2014, and can do the same at RT in 2015.

I would love it if they draft Billy Turner and/or Brandon Thomas. They could both play either OG or RT.

You omitted the option of signing a free agent if Parnell or Weems don't show to be quality replacements for Free.

Basically there are many options at OT; whereas, the OG options are much more limited.
If they pass on Cyrus Kouandjio, they could:
Draft an OG/OT combo player like Turner or Brandon Thomas that could be the RT in 2015.
Parnell or Weems steps up and takes the job. They have another full year to get opportunities.
Sign a free agent OT in 2015
Draft an OT fairly early in 2015.

The options to have a legit backup OG for 2014 are:
Sign a free agent off the scrap heap.
Draft one in 2014. It probably has to be a 3rd or higher to be ready as a rookie. Maybe a 4th rounder but it's risky with an older QB with back issues.

Drafting a guy like Billy Turner could solve both issues.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
I would love it if they draft Billy Turner and/or Brandon Thomas. They could both play either OG or RT.

You omitted the option of signing a free agent if Parnell or Weems don't show to be quality replacements for Free.

Basically there are many options at OT; whereas, the OG options are much more limited.
If they pass on Cyrus Kouandjio, they could:
Draft an OG/OT combo player like Turner or Brandon Thomas that could be the RT in 2015.
Parnell or Weems steps up and takes the job. They have another full year to get opportunities.
Sign a free agent OT in 2015
Draft an OT fairly early in 2015.

The options to have a legit backup OG for 2014 are:
Sign a free agent off the scrap heap.
Draft one in 2014. It probably has to be a 3rd or higher to be ready as a rookie. Maybe a 4th rounder but it's risky with an older QB with back issues.

Drafting a guy like Billy Turner could solve both issues.

Fair enough. There are options. To kill two birds with one stone, we're likely looking at Martin, Bitonio and Billy Turner. I think a couple others (Mewhort, James) may also be able to play both and be decently ready as a spot starter in 2014 as well. I love Thomas, but the knee injury means he isn't a help to us this year.

So Martin (1), Bitonio (2) or Turner (3) if we're looking for the OG/RT combo to provide dual depth or start at RG in 2014 and take over RT in 2015.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair enough. There are options. To kill two birds with one stone, we're likely looking at Martin, Bitonio and Billy Turner. I think a couple others (Mewhort, James) may also be able to play both and be decently ready as a spot starter in 2014 as well. I love Thomas, but the knee injury means he isn't a help to us this year.

So Martin (1), Bitonio (2) or Turner (3) if we're looking for the OG/RT combo to provide dual depth or start at RG in 2014 and take over RT in 2015.

Also, I could see Dozier being ready as a backup OG in 2014 with a possibility of playing RT in the future.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
Also, I could see Dozier being ready as a backup OG in 2014 with a possibility of playing RT in the future.

Dozier is a tougher sell to me as a potential RT. Not impossible, but I remember being a bit iffy on his athleticism when I watched him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not before some other guys if they are there but I think he could be a consideration. He doesn't pick up stunts very well and that is a concern IMO. He is usually covered up by a TE so it's hard to really know how much technique he has right now. He's interesting and if healthy, he's very interesting but he might be a little bit slow, I don't know.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dozier is a tougher sell to me as a potential RT. Not impossible, but I remember being a bit iffy on his athleticism when I watched him.

Yes, he is a step below a guy like Turner but he plays with good strength/leverage and strong hands. He's more athletic than some NFL RTs like Loadholt and Fluker.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes, he is a step below a guy like Turner but he plays with good strength/leverage and strong hands. He's more athletic than some NFL RTs like Loadholt and Fluker.

I think he has plenty of agility to play RT. I agree with you there.