Would you take last year's trade in this year's draft?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Last year, we dropped from 18 to 31 (13 spots) and picked up the 74th pick (12th pick, 3rd round) and while everyone hated the value, the results speak for themselves. What I am curious is how would you react if we dropped again 13 or so spots and picked up a top 10 or so 3rd round pick?

Just to make it simple, SF wants to trade up for a WR and offers the 30th pick+77th pick for our first.

Personally, I think it may be worth it again considering the number of D-line prospects that should go in the first round. If we feel not enough separates the 2nd tier guys, then we could get an additional starter with a trade.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. I didn't like the value for that trade last year, and don't like it now. We did a nice job of selecting underrated talent with both picks, but that's not something you can or should count on in putting your team together.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Yep,a early 3rd is fine by me if we move into the late 20s.

XxTDxX

Reaction score
Hard to say before free agency and the combine.. A trade back is more of a spur of the moment thing than a trade up.. It really depends on who is there.

But If we were to trade back I think we would get more than what we got last year simply because this is a better draft so there should be an equal amount of people looking to move each way rather than last year where everyone was trying to bail out of the early picks.

Iron_Man

KevinU
Reaction score
Probably, I think there is more value between picks 25-44. However, you would have to see who is available at pick 16.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Last year, we dropped from 18 to 31 (13 spots) and picked up the 74th pick (12th pick, 3rd round) and while everyone hated the value, the results speak for themselves. What I am curious is how would you react if we dropped again 13 or so spots and picked up a top 10 or so 3rd round pick?

Just to make it simple, SF wants to trade up for a WR and offers the 30th pick+77th pick for our first.

Personally, I think it may be worth it again considering the number of D-line prospects that should go in the first round. If we feel not enough separates the 2nd tier guys, then we could get an additional starter with a trade.

Absolutely. I do that trade this year, assuming that there's nothing at the 16th pick that we have to have.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
This year, if we drop down 13 spots, I'd want at least a) a second or maybe b) a third and a fourth. The first round in last year's draft was pretty poor as a whole. Not a lot of super talent there, especially the top ten. Last draft, the second and third round players were nearly as good as the 2nd part of the first round.That is why teams weren't offering much to move up. This year, there are a lot of good players well into the late first round. Although, this draft is really, really deep well into the 4th round. So, who knows. I'm guessing if Bortles is there then the Cowboys will have multiple offers and can have a bidding war.

funkytown

Reaction score
Its hard to say unless we knew who was available. But its hard to imagine who could possible still be around at 16/17 that would make us regret trading out.

Who would force you to stay? Outside of the top guys like Clowney, Manziel, Watkins, Matthews, etc.

To keep it realistic, i'd have to say C.J. Mosely. He fills a need at LB and playmaker. It would be hard to swallow passing him up, especially because LB is pretty thin in this draft.

I'd love to have Mike Evans, but this draft is so deep at WR. You can get a solid guy all thoughout the draft. Would be much easier passing up on a postion that is deep such as WR or DT.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Its hard to say unless we knew who was available. But its hard to imagine who could possible still be around at 16/17 that would make us regret trading out.

Who would force you to stay? Outside of the top guys like Clowney, Manziel, Watkins, Matthews, etc.

To keep it realistic, i'd have to say C.J. Mosely. He fills a need at LB and playmaker. It would be hard to swallow passing him up, especially because LB is pretty thin in this draft.

I'd love to have Mike Evans, but this draft is so deep at WR. You can get a solid guy all thoughout the draft. Would be much easier passing up on a postion that is deep such as WR or DT.

We have interest in Robert Meachem and Nate Burleson. I think Miles is gone and we fill WR in free agency.