Would you

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
..consider moving up in the draft if Brian Cushing started slipping?

I've seen him going anywhere from 15th overall to the first few picks in the 2nd round. If he started slipping to the bottom of the first round and we did not have to overpay to do it, would you move up?

6-4/255 4.6 40 time

Cushing has not just played but started at SS, both DE spots, and all three LB spots while at USC. He can cover, rush the passer, and his hits are legendary. I think he could come in and start at RILB right away. I feel he is the player we all HOPED Bobbie Carpenter would be.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2589219 said:

I've seen him going anywhere from 15th overall to the first few picks in the 2nd round. If he started slipping to the bottom of the first round and we did not have to overpay to do it, would you move up?

6-4/255 4.6 40 time

Cushing has not just played but started at SS, both DE spots, and all three LB spots while at USC. He can cover, rush the passer, and his hits are legendary. I think he could come in and start at RILB right away. I feel he is the player we all HOPED Bobbie Carpenter would be.
He looked good the last couple of games I saw him play, he does have a lot of help on that team. I admit to buying into the bobby Carp hype also, did not realize how much the rest of the team covered for him not look what we have. I feel so used on some of this hype....

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I'm concerned about his relative inexperience at LB, his injury history as well as the quality of surrounding teammates. He projects better at OLB, because he gets beaten up when playing in those tight spaces. Taken together, he would have to drop pretty far for me to pull the trigger and trade up.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2589398 said:
I'm concerned about his relative inexperience at LB, his injury history as well as the quality of surrounding teammates. He projects better at OLB, because he gets beaten up when playing in those tight spaces. Taken together, he would have to drop pretty far for me to pull the trigger and trade up.

He definitely had some talent around him but I'd rather he made plays with all that talent, which he did, then sit back and get lost amongst them. I'm not sure what you mean by his inexperience at LB. He has always been a LB. He was just so talented that even as a freshman Pete Carrolll was trying to find ways to get him on the field. That's why he played some SS as a freshman and started his sophomore year at DE. He was the Rosebowl MVP as a sophomore.

This is why I could see him playing ILB for us. The 3-4 is about verstaility and disguising your intentions. This kid can do it all. With Bradie James on one side, DeMarcus Ware on the other, and Jay Ratliff in front of him I think he would be a monster.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Brian Cushing I don't think we trade up for him although he has a lot of versatility

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
no, keep the picks. imo, we'll need a SS, ILB, OL, DL, OLB, CB before we start training camp, so let's not put all our eggs in one basket.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2589219 said:

6-4/255 4.6 40 time

If they were 100% sold on the guy being a starter from day one, it would be worth it. We dont have many needs, but ILB and FS are definitely two of them. Maybe DE depending on what happens. If they are sure they can acquire a starter at any of those positions by moving up, its probably worth it (say, into the late 20's or early 30's)

I'd be more interested in the other USC LB, but I know he probably wont fall anywhere near far enough us for us to have a chance at him.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I wouldnt be opposed to this at all..If they do their homework and decide that this guy can start at MLB then they should do it!!..I just dont want another Barbie on the team...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
some pics

ncf_g_cushing_300.jpg
brian_cushing_300_250.jpg

rosebowltlp02m_300.jpg

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Hey Chris..how well do USC LB's usually transistion into the NFL?? I know Lofa is doing well..River's remains to be seen..Do you really have faith in Cushing, or are you just a homer? Because I've seen him play and he seems to do well, but not spectacular.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2590033 said:
Hey Chris..how well do USC LB's usually transistion into the NFL?? I know Lofa is doing well..River's remains to be seen..Do you really have faith in Cushing, or are you just a homer? Because I've seen him play and he seems to do well, but not spectacular.

Rivers won a starting job as a rookie and was doing well before he broke his jaw. Maualuga will be a beast and I believe Cushing will be a AJ Hawk /Chad Greenway type player at the next level. Besides Lofa and Rivers some other USC linebackers who have done okay in the NFL.. Clay Matthews (SR), Junior Seau, Willie McGinest, and Chris Claiborne come to mind.

So to answer your question.. Yes. I'm a homer and I have faith in Cushing. I'm a Cowboys fan first. I wouldn't want a player from USC or anywhere unless I thought they would be a great Cowboys player.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
no thank you to the USC LBs....I am however, intrigued by DBs Cary Harris and Josh Pinkard. I know very little about them, but from what I have read, they seem to be very solid pro prospects and both can be had on the second day....especially Pinkard.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Do you think Cushing could come in and start MLB alongside James and be productive?..if hes anything like Greenway or Hawk than I would be all for that..Takes care of the MLB position and maybe allow us to hit the FA market to add some depth in other area's

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Biggems;2590328 said:
no thank you to the USC LBs....I am however, intrigued by DBs Cary Harris and Josh Pinkard. I know very little about them, but from what I have read, they seem to be very solid pro prospects and both can be had on the second day....especially Pinkard.

Pinkard was awarded a 6th year of eligibility and is returning to USC. Harris was having a great week of practice for the Shrine game but I didn't see him in the game at all. Not sure if he was hurt at one of the last practices.