WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 25, 2008; 12:00 PM

Washington Post staff writer Jason La Canfora was online Thursday, Sept. 25 at noon ET, to take your questions about the Commanders, their win against the Cardinals and their game this weekend against Dallas.

Jason La Canfora: Hey there everybody. Hope all is well and thanks for stopping by. I'm sure I will get a lot of questions on a particular topic, so I'll say what I can about it right away and then we can address Dallas Week and all that comes with that.

Okay, have at me.
Pittsburgh: Jason you are very entertaining and you get the fans excited. The Cerrato incident seemed like you were out to get him specifically and not just good investigative reporting. I will go on faith for now that is all it was, good investigative reporting as there are always two sides to every story, sometimes more.

Besides scoring more points than Dallas what will the Commanders have to do to win and if you had to pick someone that will be a hero next Monday we are not thinking about who will it be? (ie: Horton, New Orleans game)

Jason La Canfora: I'm glad you asked about that. I did not charge anyone with tampering. My only purpose in contacting the league was to find out in general how its rules might come into play if a team official comments on a radio show about a player or coach under contract to another team.

As for the game, these rivalry matches often have a way of bringing someone expected to the forefront, eh? I think that is the Skins win, Rocky McIntosh may have to be a big part of that. His knee seems to be finally alright, he's getting better each week, he has a knack for prying balls loose and I get the sense he likes the big stage.

He nearly had a takeaway in Dallas last year - replay changed that - and I think he may get a few cracks at Whitten. If, or some other LB, he can control that guy it would be a huge.

Jason La Canfora: It's gonna be tough. I loved some of the push Griffin and Golston generated up the middle last week. They're going to need more of that with Carter now easily doubled, chipped, or generally derailed.

Marcus Washington could end up being a huge factor on third downs. He's played with his hand down before, and practiced with the D Line a lot last year, and I would imagine Evans could go inside on third downs - as is his norm in the nickel - and Washington could be that rush end on the left side.

Jason La Canfora: He's still finding his way, and the biggest issue is the position he plays. Cooley is a Pro Bowler and Yoder is very good as a second option. Todd knows the offense, has good hands and is a more powerful blocker than Davis right now.

He's too valuable not to have in the 2 TE sets and yes they run a few plays to try to get Davis downfield a bit, but his role is limited for now. Last week in the goal line situations Zorn went with Lorenzo Alexander as a tackle eligible instead of some 3 TE stuff.

He's got a climb but has a lot of natural talent and spends a lot of extra time working with Rennie Simmons after practice, which can only help.

Jason La Canfora: I think it's huge, also. I blogged about it a lot yesterday.

Adding the Jones brothers (okay, they're not related but you get the drift) - Felix and Adam - has given a new dimension to Dallas' special teams. They are a handful to deal with.

I think Durant Brooks needs to have a big game, as a holder and a punter, and the Skins need to find a way to get more out of the punt return game (I hear Santana Moss could be more involved in that regard).
Do you see Blache blitzing the heck out of Romo on Sunday? If you give Romo the time, he will pick apart any defense. Also, having said that, do you think Landry be shadowing Witten and/or T.O.? Thanks. Go Skins.

Jason La Canfora: I agree with Taylor out a four-man pass rush might not cut it, but the Skins are also going to need numbers back in the secondary.

This is a bend-don't-break D. They want to take away the big play above all else. Even under Williams, who was much more of a blitz advocate than Blache, they didn't blitz Romo much as all last year. His quick release can really burn you, and a guy like Felix Jones can kill you as a safety valve on screens.

I don't see them being super aggressive on the blitz to be honest. They faced two high powered passing teams the past two weeks and didn't blitz much.

They want to utilize their coverage skills and man up on people. Maybe they bring the linebackers a fair amount, and a safety a few times, but I don't think it will be a big part of what they plan to do.

Thanks!

Jason La Canfora: I don't think its a coincidence. Shawn Springs is a zealot about what his boxing training does for his body. Stephon Heyer worked out with Springs's trainer, too, boxing, and rehshaped his body.

I definitely believe there is something to it. A lot of the Skins do boxing training at Commanders Park on Fridays, and I think it's paying off.

Jason La Canfora: He is definitely a speed rushing threat but needs to continue getting bigger, adding more moves, etc.

Chris is a tremendous human being who overcame great adversity to even reach this level, and a guy you can't help identifying with.

He needs to keep making plays on special teams and yes, he will get some duty on third down as well in certain situations. He's a lot like Chris Clemons, who used to be here (except with better knees and with far superior output on special teams) and Clemons went from marginal guy who's career seemed to over to getting a big payday from the Eagles last offseason.

Chris is a hard worker and his day may come, too.

Jason La Canfora: I think Rocky may say a fair bit of him, and in zone Horton may be the guy to pick him up down field.

No doubt it's going to be one of the 2-3 biggest match-ups in the game. I am with you on that.

Jason La Canfora: He should be a guy who contributes this season, no doubt. They have a veteran O Line, so no shame in him not starting. But he should be a body on special teams at least.

He's a bit of a tweener and has to really learn the guard position, I think, but right now I don't see him as as tackle. His play certainly slipped later in camp and the more he faced real NFL players.

The Skins are not young at all at the guard position, and the expectation should be he takes over one of those spots in 2009 or 2010 given where he was selected.

Jason La Canfora: They like what Rock gives them in other aspects of the punt team but I agree that he could use a shot here at some point.

James Thrash is doing better this week and Zorn expects him to resume a normal role in the offense this week after doing primarily teams work last week. Thomas will get his shot to run those fly patterns though.

Jason La Canfora: it really is pretty amazing isn't it?

And then you add the way McIntosh has started to look right, last week in particular and it's even more remarkable.

A lot of coaches around here figured they would be going into the season without three of the four top young talents on that defense this season, and would have to start over to some degree, but their recoveries have been stunning.

You have to give full marks to the surgeons and trainers here, and especially to those two young men for being so diligent in what was an arduous recovery.

Jason La Canfora: Wow, thanks for checking in brother.

Are you a Macabi supporter? Israeli football (re:soccer) has taken some big strides in recent years.

I think the Skins have a chance to win this game, certainly. If they can play turnover-free ball as they have been, make big plays, protect the QB -- that's a great recipe to win.

Now, it's much more difficult to do all of that on the road, but anything can happen in these grudge matches. It should be a great game, and one worth staying up late to see (or getting up early, whichever it may be).

Jason La Canfora: That would certainly be the most positive thing in this trade off. He lacks Heyer's quickness in pass pro, but is a more abrasive force in the run game.

As we've noted in the paper and on the blog, this has been a decidedly "left-handed" team on the ground and it won't be there forever. I'd go with that as my bread and butter too, behind Samuels, but better balance is essential.

Jason La Canfora: I think Springs will man up on him with Landry shaded that way over the top. They can't go crazy trying to truly double him, because they Whitten eats you alive and screens to Barber and Jones as well.

It will be a similar approach to what worked against Arizona and New Orleans, I figure.

Jason La Canfora: I think so.

The end around for Thomas, the Randle El play, even the TD pass to Yoder all had some misdirection and the element of surprise at play.

Zorn seems to have a good feel for when to call them and when not to (Saunders tended to get them blown up on first down).

Jason La Canfora: It would be a stretch, but not impossible.

Justin Geisinger? Now that's no chance.
Falls Church, Va.: Taylor "balked at surgery"? He just got a second opinion! That's one of the dumbest headlines I've read in the Post. I doubt you wrote the headline, so what would your headline have been?
washingtonpost.com: Taylor Balked at Emergency Surgery

Jason La Canfora: Well, he put it off for several hours and hoped his body would heal and he could delay it at least until 7 a.m.

Is balked horrible? I don't think so. Awful hard to get procrastinate in a headline.

I don't have anything to do with that process, and for good reason. I stunk at it even back in my old college editing days. It's an art form and there are some crazy space regulations and trust me, it ain't easy.

We are blessed with an outstanding copy staff and those guys and gals have saved my backside too many times to list.

Jason La Canfora: I think they will continue to tweak the roles of both players and I could see a time soon where Horton is more of the base guy in their standard two-deep operation.

Even with Jon Jansen in for only a series or two against the Cardinals, the difference in offensive production and Campbell's confidence was clearly noticeable.

What do you think?

Jason La Canfora: Hey brother, thanks for the support.

I'm not sure JC starts flinching or anything like that when Jansen comes in, or that the RT will make or break the confidence of the O. Could have been a coincidence.

Jon is getting more reps in practice at starting right tackle this week, so that should help with timing, etc. No doubt I expect the Cowboys to attack that area and get Ware on that side of the field quite a bit. The Skins are going to have to run a fair amount of 2 TE sets I believe, and Jansen will need some help.

Heyer is in uniform today, though we don't get to watch practice so I can't report yet how much or how little he is doing. He may be able to play, and either way I think Dallas will take its chances attacking the right side with Samuels on the left.

Jason La Canfora: Neither side, really.

I understand where both are coming from and I'm not the type to get all worked up about two dudes exchanging some heated ideas over the air. It went on a little long, but I didn't think it was a big deal at all.

That kind of stuff happens sometimes. It's inevitable.
West Falls Church: As admirable as the D is playing, they still miss #21. I don't think opposing teams fear this defense.
It was just last season, I think, where #21 flat laid out TO during a game, and we never heard from him after that.

Jason La Canfora: No doubt about that. You can't replace that guy. Period.

To see them play this well without him is special, and, again, especially to be able to get what they are out of Rogers and McIntosh.
Earlier in the chat you mentioned Rocky Macintosh as someone who could possibly have a big game against Dallas. On the flipside, who do you see on offense possibly coming up big this week for the Skins?

Jason La Canfora: If I'm calling plays I'm taking 4-5 deep shots to Moss. I'm going to test those safeties. Get him on Henry's side when you can and get after it.

Jason La Canfora: It's going to be pushed to the limit in this one. Dallas is just huge on that side of the ball, and the Skins by no means have a massive front seven.

It's going to take a lot of work from the safeties to contain that dude. He's a headbanger man, like an Earl Campbell type (with less girth). He runs with such abandon that I'm not sure he'll have the longest career, but man will there be some memorable highlight runs to look back on.

It's a 4:15 game, so I expect the fans to be plenty lubed up by then.

Jason La Canfora: Yeah man, that's a lot of time to throw back the Shiner Bocks.

It's going to be quite the atmosphere I imagine.
Derwood: Seems to me that the best way for the Skins to scheme Dallas is to try to take away one thing (the run or the pass) and make them one dimensional. If you had to choose between stifling the run game or using lots of nickel to blanket receivers, what do you think gives the best chance of winning?

Jason La Canfora: That's the rub, it's almost impossible to take away either. I think they continue to play coverage and more zone on second and third down, have one safety down as much as possible and go with Springs trying to man up on TO so there is a safety free to keep an eye on Whitten.

It's tough, for sure.

It'll come down to big plays - making a few on offense, trying to prevent the quick-strike on defense, and winning the turnover battle.

Dallas is pretty legit all around. Again, I'm not sold on their deep pass coverage, but other than that it's hard to rip them for much.
NY, NY: JLC--after seeing Devin Thomas catch that touchdown pass (I almost blacked out at the bar screaming) and then feeling pretty deflated when it was called back due to Heyer's penalty, I felt like Devin was starting to get more acclimated to the offense. Plus I swear on one play, Devin was wide open over the middle and JC just checked down to another receiver for a minimal gain. What are your thoughts on Devin's progress overall?

Jason La Canfora: I think you nailed it. He was indeed open deep a few times ... But after his rough preseason and tendency to make mistakes, he needs to build up the trust of his QB.

If he could get himself up to speed on the playbook and be able to run more routes as well, that would help. But does seem to be making some strides.
Marthas Vineyard: Follow up to the Billy McMullen cut... Because the Seahawks snapped him up so quickly would it seem plausible that Zorn was against the cut? And quickly contacted Holmgren with a heads-up that the leading pre-season receiver (NFL) was going to be available. Would seem also plausible then, that Vinnie made the "cut" decision?? Not the head coach?

Jason La Canfora: I'm not sure I follow that one. Zorn certainly made it clear the day before cuts that he believed McMullen had made his team, but once you're actually getting down to the final 53 things are still in flux.

I think Zorn would have definitely loved to start with 6 WRs if at all possible, especially given where Thomas and Kelly were at that point, but they had to make some tradeoffs.

I would have put Jackson on the practice squad and kept McMullen, but I don't have any knowledge of that being entirely a Cerrato thing. I never really probed around on it - and I still think you could get by with Jackson on the practice squad even now - but I don't think you can put all of that on one guy.

Plenty of people found it beyond fishy that all 10 rookies made the roster, me included, and especially given how obvious it was that many of them would be inactives and some could have gone to the practice squad without much fear of them being signed elsewhere. And certainly the hand of management was involved in all those decisions, as Zorn said as much.

But I can't put the McMullen release on one guy. And I don't think there's any wayt Zorn would have pushed him to Seattle, because, trust me, Zorn knows he could have definitely needed a free agent receiver real soon, and Billy would have been at the top of their emergency list.
Boulder, CO: Jason, pretty much any casual viewer of Cowboys games has noticed that deep-center route their receivers love to run. Are the Skins' DBs prepared to defend that without leaving gaping holes in shorter yardage routes (that guys like Witten love)?
I'm assuming that if fans see this the Skins' D has noticed too.

Jason La Canfora: Yeah man, and they routinely gut teams sitting back in Cover-2 with it (they got the Skins like 3 times with it last year, Fletcher included).

You're picking your poison all around and Blache is going to need to have another superior day Sunday. You've got to know the tendencies, be constantly processing what it most likely based on down and distance, gamble a little bit, and at times get lucky.

Blache was in the zone last week, that's for sure. He called a helluva game and his secondary executed expertly.

Jason La Canfora: If they win this game, then you have to say this puppy is wide open.

Everyone but the G-Men would have a loss, and they are going through a lot of turmoil over there all of a sudden.

Thanks as always for the great questions and for keeping me on my toes. Sorry for those I could not get to, and as always, you can get me on the blog - Commanders Insider - or on email - lacanforaj@washpost.com.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the game.

Cheers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2008/09/23/DI2008092301513.html

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2286095 said:

Even with Jon Jansen in for only a series or two against the Cardinals, the difference in offensive production and Campbell's confidence was clearly noticeable.

What do you think?

Jason La Canfora: Hey brother, thanks for the support.

I'm not sure JC starts flinching or anything like that when Jansen comes in, or that the RT will make or break the confidence of the O. Could have been a coincidence.

Jon is getting more reps in practice at starting right tackle this week, so that should help with timing, etc. No doubt I expect the Cowboys to attack that area and get Ware on that side of the field quite a bit. The Skins are going to have to run a fair amount of 2 TE sets I believe, and Jansen will need some help.

Heyer is in uniform today, though we don't get to watch practice so I can't report yet how much or how little he is doing. He may be able to play, and either way I think Dallas will take its chances attacking the right side with Samuels on the left.

sacase

Reaction score
They Actually think that McIntosh is going to cover witten? LOL please.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2286095 said:
Derwood: Seems to me that the best way for the Skins to scheme Dallas is to try to take away one thing (the run or the pass) and make them one dimensional. If you had to choose between stifling the run game or using lots of nickel to blanket receivers, what do you think gives the best chance of winning? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2008/09/23/DI2008092301513.html

Remember the Packers amazing gameplan that went all out to defend against our two biggest receiving threats? We transformed into dominant power rushing team.

Against Philly our run game wasn't doing much. So all we did was pass for 300+ yards and 3 tds, and threw in a kickoff return td.

What I'm looking forward to now is a game where our defense just dominates and wins the game for us.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
The skins gave up 5 yrds a carry to Arizona. If they don't commit a safety to the box Barber will have a field day.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy from New York;2286182 said:
The skins gave up 5 yrds a carry to Arizona. If they don't commit a safety to the box Barber will have a field day.
I hope so. If their safeties commit to the run, Owens will have a field day too.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
that's the worst, most homer analysis I've seen--Dallas should win by 20--the only way the Skins are close is if the breaks all fall their way

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2286095 said:
Albany, NY: JLC - what's the scoop on Fred Davis - we haven't heard much about him lately.

Jason La Canfora: He's still finding his way, and the biggest issue is the position he plays. Cooley is a Pro Bowler and Yoder is very good as a second option. Todd knows the offense, has good hands and is a more powerful blocker than Davis right now.

He's too valuable not to have in the 2 TE sets and yes they run a few plays to try to get Davis downfield a bit, but his role is limited for now. Last week in the goal line situations Zorn went with Lorenzo Alexander as a tackle eligible instead of some 3 TE stuff.

He's got a climb but has a lot of natural talent and spends a lot of extra time working with Rennie Simmons after practice, which can only help.

wait, I thought COoley and Fred Davis were the best TE tandem in the league?

not

Witten/Bennett>>>>Cooley/Dav****

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
bobtheflob;2286145 said:
Remember the Packers amazing gameplan that went all out to defend against our two biggest receiving threats? We transformed into dominant power rushing team.

Against Philly our run game wasn't doing much. So all we did was pass for 300+ yards and 3 tds, and threw in a kickoff return td.

What I'm looking forward to now is a game where our defense just dominates and wins the game for us.
I'd love to see the defense dominate them too, but I also want our offense to be unmerciful in scoring on them.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
HoosierCowboy;2286193 said:
that's the worst, most homer analysis I've seen--Dallas should win by 20--the only way the Skins are close is if the breaks all fall their way

Actually this is pretty unbiased compared to what else they have here. It's amazing looking at the differences in how the Washington media handles the Commanders versus who the Dallas media handles the Cowboys. I can almost guarantee you I'll see people picking the Commanders to win when I read the paper tomorrow.