WP: Sean Taylor's Attorneys to File Motion to Dismiss

SkinsFan26

Reaction score
Like I said, the guys who stole from Sean are career criminals. They had been arrested before the incident last June, too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/03/AR2006040300666.html

The attorneys for the Washington Commanders' Sean Taylor intend to file a motion to dismiss the felony assault charges against the safety during a hearing today, while the prosecution contends there are insufficient grounds for such a request.
Taylor was charged with three counts of felony assault with a deadly weapon last year, each of which can carry a three-year mandatory minimum sentence. He is scheduled for an April 10 trial. Richard Sharpstein, one of three lawyers representing Taylor, said he was finalizing the motion last night.

Sharpstein said that alleged victims in the case have been arrested for thefts, drug possession and other charges within Dade County (Fla.) since the incident with Taylor, and that the prosecution failed to present this information to them as is their obligation; prosecutor Mike Grieco said he was unaware of the arrests until the defense presented the information, and is confident the case will go to trial as scheduled...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
And you posted this here... why?

This is the COWBOYS forum. For COWBOYS news.

You want to put this in the SPORTS forum.

You do realize you're at a cowboys forum, right?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why this forum is allowed to be dominated by Commander fans and Commanders posts.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
SkinsFan26 said:
Like I said, the guys who stole from Sean are career criminals. They had been arrested before the incident last June, too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/03/AR2006040300666.html

The attorneys for the Washington Commanders' Sean Taylor intend to file a motion to dismiss the felony assault charges against the safety during a hearing today, while the prosecution contends there are insufficient grounds for such a request.
Taylor was charged with three counts of felony assault with a deadly weapon last year, each of which can carry a three-year mandatory minimum sentence. He is scheduled for an April 10 trial. Richard Sharpstein, one of three lawyers representing Taylor, said he was finalizing the motion last night.

Sharpstein said that alleged victims in the case have been arrested for thefts, drug possession and other charges within Dade County (Fla.) since the incident with Taylor, and that the prosecution failed to present this information to them as is their obligation; prosecutor Mike Grieco said he was unaware of the arrests until the defense presented the information, and is confident the case will go to trial as scheduled...

This is exactly the motion I would want if my name was Taylor. :laugh1:

burmafrd

Reaction score
Since this all HAPPENED AFTER TAYLORS little run and shoot, and since they have only been ARRESTED, nothing more, the motion is a joke.

SkinsFan26

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Since this all HAPPENED AFTER TAYLORS little run and shoot, and since they have only been ARRESTED, nothing more, the motion is a joke.

I am not an attorney, so I don't know if the motion will pass.

BUT...

If the prosecution did not reveal this information about their key witnesses, the defense has been at a disadvantage in assembling their case. The motion makes a lot of sense.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
SkinsFan26 said:

BUT...

If the prosecution did not reveal this information about their key witnesses, the defense has been at a disadvantage in assembling their case. The motion makes a lot of sense.

Sorry to burst your bubble bro. But the charges brought against Taylor have nothing to do with the criminal background of the "victims". He's charged with felony possession of and brandishing a firearm, right? :p:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
SkinsFan26 said:

BUT...

So you are saying that Taylors defense team did not know something that the Commander Trolls on this board where saying a week ago? Sean Taylors in REAL trouble if the tolls on this board know more than his lawyers about the case :lmao2:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what their history is.

Shoot a murderer in cold blood, your going to jail...Point a gun at a felon, your going to jail.

So Mr. Taylors attorney is trying to file a motion saying Taylor can pull a gun on a person who has been arrested for a crime in the past.

The article said they had been arrested in the past, didn't say anything about a conviction.

Lets not forget that Taylor has been arrested in the past before for drunk driving. He was not convicted but was arrested.

Another question I haven't heard anyone ask. Did Taylor even have a gun permit in Fl ?

I have one in CT. In transporting a gun, even with a permit I must keep the gun in a locked place and the ammo in a different location. Surprised that hasn't been asked as to wether he had a permit and how it was transported.

SkinsFan26

Reaction score
From PFT

TAYLOR PROSECUTION ON LIFE SUPPORT

The lawyers for Commanders safety Sean Taylor have filed a motion to dismiss the felony assault charges pending against their client, based on allegations that the prosecution failed to disclose evidence that Taylor's alleged victims have been arrested for thefts, drug possession, and other crimes since June 2005, when Taylor allegedly pointed a gun at them, after they allegedly stole his ATV.

"Once this kind of information comes to my attention I have an obligation to turn it over," prosecutor Mike Grieco said, "but only once that information comes to my attention. And it was never brought to my attention. Somebody in law enforcement knew, but it's a big county and there are hundreds of arrests every day, and I was unaware of any of this."
Hang on a second, Mike. These subsequent arrests supposedly occurred within Dade County, not North Dakota. How in the world is knowledge of these arrests not imputed to the prosecutor's office in, um, Dade County?
Sure Grieco didn't actually know about it. He didn't want to know about it. And his office doesn't apparently have a system in place to funnel to the prosecutors information regarding arrests and other potentially significant developments involving the alleged victims of crime and other persons of interest.

But it should. Otherwise, guys like Griece could conveniently stick their heads in the sand and then hope that the defense lawyers never find out on their own that the victims have some unsightly warts on their butts.

Think of it this way. If Sean Taylor had been arrested on other charges since June 2005, Grieco's cell phone would have been playing the theme from 21 Jump Street within minutes.

Even if Taylor's lawyers can't secure a dismissal of the felony charges pending against the former Miami Hurricane, the fact that the alleged victims are of apparently questionable character will make it much harder to secure a conviction via the criminal standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. To meet that threshold, the jury must believe that the alleged victims are completely telling the truth and that Taylor is completely lying.

So even if the subsequent arrests ultimately aren't admissible to impeach the credibility of the alleged victims, our guess is that it'll be very difficult to coax a compelling performance out of them on the witness stand.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
SkinsFan26 said:
From PFT

The lawyers for Commanders safety Sean Taylor have filed a motion to dismiss the felony assault charges pending against their client, based on allegations that the prosecution failed to disclose evidence that Taylor's alleged victims have been arrested for thefts, drug possession, and other crimes since June 2005, when Taylor allegedly pointed a gun at them, after they allegedly stole his ATV.

"Once this kind of information comes to my attention I have an obligation to turn it over," prosecutor Mike Grieco said, "but only once that information comes to my attention. And it was never brought to my attention. Somebody in law enforcement knew, but it's a big county and there are hundreds of arrests every day, and I was unaware of any of this."
Hang on a second, Mike. These subsequent arrests supposedly occurred within Dade County, not North Dakota. How in the world is knowledge of these arrests not imputed to the prosecutor's office in, um, Dade County?
Sure Grieco didn't actually know about it. He didn't want to know about it. And his office doesn't apparently have a system in place to funnel to the prosecutors information regarding arrests and other potentially significant developments involving the alleged victims of crime and other persons of interest.

But it should. Otherwise, guys like Griece could conveniently stick their heads in the sand and then hope that the defense lawyers never find out on their own that the victims have some unsightly warts on their butts.

Think of it this way. If Sean Taylor had been arrested on other charges since June 2005, Grieco's cell phone would have been playing the theme from 21 Jump Street within minutes.

Even if Taylor's lawyers can't secure a dismissal of the felony charges pending against the former Miami Hurricane, the fact that the alleged victims are of apparently questionable character will make it much harder to secure a conviction via the criminal standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. To meet that threshold, the jury must believe that the alleged victims are completely telling the truth and that Taylor is completely lying.

So even if the subsequent arrests ultimately aren't admissible to impeach the credibility of the alleged victims, our guess is that it'll be very difficult to coax a compelling performance out of them on the witness stand.

So... what you are saying is that "those criminals are worse than our criminal"...

Taylor is the son of a Peace Officer... he KNOWS better...

His run-ins with the law obviously show his lack of character...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
SkinsFan26 said:
From PFT

Just goes to show you that you shouldn't go to Pro Football Talk for legal analysis. Simple arrests aren't filed with any district attorney's office, until they are indicted.

Also their characterization of the reasonable doubt standard is way off. BARD means that you believe the accused is guilty, and there is no reasonable doubt in your mind. It doesn't mean you have to believe that the victims' testimony is completely false, or that a criminal defendant is completely lying.

And the last paragraph is ludicrous. Just because a witness has been arrested has no bearing on what kind of testimony they give on the stand, especially when that evidence of the arrest isn't admissible. Do you think the jury just has a hunch that they've been arrested?? Many witnesses have been arrested before, and still can give perfectly credible testimony.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Circuit Judge Mary Barzee denied a defense motion to dismiss charges against Washington Commanders player Sean Taylor, whose trial is scheduled for next week.
Attorneys for the former University of Miami star argued that the aggravated assault charges should be dropped because they claimed Miami-Dade prosecutor Michael Grieco failed to tell them that several of the alleged victims and witnesses had been arrested in unrelated cases.
Taylor was arrested last June in south Miami-Dade on charges he pointed a gun at three men he believed had stolen an all-terrain vehicle from one of his friends.
His trial is slated to begin Monday.

;)