WR draft class

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Bizwah;2649139 said:
I'm disappointed that the NFL Network only showed one WR group.

We didn't get to see any of the pass receiving drills that included Barden, Maclin, Heyward-Bey, etc....

I think there will be some good WRs in this draft. Not just WRs drafted high, but WRs that have nice NFL careers.

I would love to see a guy like Kenny Britt fall to us...pipe dream of course. Robiskie is looking like a nice prospect. I've seen a lot of him. He's made some fantastic catches. He might be available to us in round 2 or 3.

I'm beginning to really like that Thomas guy from AZ. I really didn't pay much attention to him until guys on the board were pumping him up.

They showed Barden plenty at Senior Bowl practices and drills. Most felt he was wayyy too stiff for Wr. But they love him in Cali. He put up awesome numbers at Cal-Poly.

I am sure we'll get some of this other WR groups drills either on nfl access tonight or mixed in to other coverage as the week progresses. I just tivo it all and fast forward to the drills.

I don't think watching Bey would do much for me. This is a guy whose coaches told him as a freshmen he might want to just stick to track. He is still a really raw Wr type. He runs like a track star and I just don't see that transitioning well to play WR where body control and whatnot are so important. I much prefer Wrs who run 4.5's but with ease and can change directions on a dime.

Thomas didn't display good hands and we did see him today in plenty of drills.

Britt or Robiskie would be awesome but we have other fish to fry in round 2 :(

Bizwah

Reaction score
jterrell;2649171 said:
They showed Barden plenty at Senior Bowl practices and drills. Most felt he was wayyy too stiff for Wr. But they love him in Cali. He put up awesome numbers at Cal-Poly.

I am sure we'll get some of this other WR groups drills either on nfl access tonight or mixed in to other coverage as the week progresses. I just tivo it all and fast forward to the drills.

I don't think watching Bey would do much for me. This is a guy whose coaches told him as a freshmen he might want to just stick to track. He is still a really raw Wr type. He runs like a track star and I just don't see that transitioning well to play WR where body control and whatnot are so important. I much prefer Wrs who run 4.5's but with ease and can change directions on a dime.

Thomas didn't display good hands and we did see him today in plenty of drills.

Britt or Robiskie would be awesome but we have other fish to fry in round 2 :(

I missed the Sr. Bowl. I got to watch Barden play this year against Wisconsin. Your assessment is pretty sound. He just didn't look natural. He's was just so much bigger than the DBs on him.

He's strictly developmental.

Most of the WRs we'll be in position to draft will have warts. We have to really do our homework.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell;2649127 said:
Barden is a bit stiff for WR imho. He didn't look very good at any of the change of direction stuff in the drills.

But that size can't be taught.

Would be a good red zone target for someone if he can get to their active roster.\
** might be a really good h-back type if he can block at all.

I don't get what you mean by stiff however, he's 6'6 I don't think we should expect a Wes Welker type of guy...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2649458 said:
I don't get what you mean by stiff however, he's 6'6 I don't think we should expect a Wes Welker type of guy...

stiff in that he's such a big target, isn't all that fast, and is all straight-line, it's going to be hard for him to creat seperation

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2649471 said:
stiff in that he's such a big target, isn't all that fast, and is all straight-line, it's going to be hard for him to creat seperation

True he'll need to bulk up and get strong at the point of attack and learn how to use his body to gain leverage. I don't care if he burns his man or catches the ball with a man draped on his back as long as he gets the job done. 4.57 isn't bad unless I'm mistaken it's better than Boldin's time.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2648927 said:
Very fast for McKinley...he will definately see his stock rise since the guy has a reputation of being a good route runner with nice hands.

Kenny has been great at South Carolina, has played through a lot of injuries,and battled double coverage and teams best corners. He's played with some really poor QBs and teams, and managed to still make plays.

I like him more than I did Sidney Rice when he came outta SC, and I thought Rice was going to be a playmaker before getting sent to WR-hell in Minny.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
thewireman;2649797 said:
Do you guys think the Cowboys will draft a WR?

Not with our 1st pick in the 2nd rd unless a top prospect slides but yes I think Dallas will look at the WR in the draft.

DFWJC

Reaction score
slotshot;2648690 said:
Like many of you, I have been lounging about watching the Combine. I am interested in another opinion(s). This WR class is quite a bit better that I expected...or am I off base. A couple of the non-top-names did well (Iglesias, Robiskie, etc...), and there do seem to be a number of guys that may be studs at the next level.

I've said more than once that this year's WR class is very solid. I've heard a select few on this board rail about how weak this year's "skill position" class is.
We'll see about that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
jterrell;2649038 said:
Speed??
Do not waste time with supremely fast 40's here. The pro bowl WRs had more 4.7 guys then 4.4 ones and they didn't have a single WR who ran under a 4.4 make the Pro Bowl this year.

Just some trivia.....

Steve Smith (4.38) made the Pro Bowl.
Larry Fitgerald (4.48 - 4.53)
Reggie Wayne (4.35 -4.45)
Andre Johnson (4.4 - 4.43)
Roddy White (4.45)
Brandon Marshall (4.5 - 4.55)
Wes Welker (4.6)

Only one 4.7 guy on the pro bowl roster...Anquan Boldin.

I will say this. if the guy is big and physical and had great hands, the 40 time is much less important. Or, is he is the very unique Wes Welker.

PuttinUp6

Reaction score
:starspin hey i also posted this on another thread....im new to tha board....a WR i would LOVE to see the boys look at would be Cameron Luke, WR, Texas State.....he is an amazing athlete....can catch anything....ive seen him play a few times and im amazed by his athleticism each time.....

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
DFWJC;2649925 said:
Just some trivia.....

Steve Smith (4.38) made the Pro Bowl.
Larry Fitgerald (4.48 - 4.53)
Reggie Wayne (4.35 -4.45)
Andre Johnson (4.4 - 4.43)
Roddy White (4.45)
Brandon Marshall (4.5 - 4.55)
Wes Welker (4.6)

Only one 4.7 guy on the pro bowl roster...Anquan Boldin.

I will say this. if the guy is big and physical and had great hands, the 40 time is much less important. Or, is he is the very unique Wes Welker.

fitzgerald ran a 4.63 at the combine.