WR Jason Avant blazes a 4.80 40

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

NFL | Avant's Pro Day results
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:42:26 -0800

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Michigan WR Jason Avant (hand) measured a height of 6-0 1/2 and a weight of 209 pounds at his Pro Day. He ran the 40-yard dash twice with a time of 4.80 seconds, but it is possible the cast on his hand hurt his performance. He will run the 40-yard dash again in the near future. He ran the short shuttle in 4.19 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.02 seconds while measuring a 35 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-4 broad jump.

Finally, a WR that I'm faster than :cool:

tm1119

Reaction score
look at Boldin a couple years ago. this means nothing. but that being said Avant still wont be a good NFL WR.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
Boldin wasnt that slow, lol. Can't have questionable hands and run THAT slow.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
tm1119 said:
this means nothing

If it meant nothing then why did he run it, why did so many scouts show up, why do they show up year after year after year?

It may not mean anything to you, but it means something to the people that will be investing $$$'s into these prospects.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Avant is one of my favorite wideouts in this years draft.
He s an excellent, solid #2.

tm1119

Reaction score
Boldin ran a 4.7 40. wich is still terrible for a WR and look how he turned out.

and it means nothing because how often does a reciever run a straight pattern 40 yards down the field with nothing affecting him? good route running beats speed in almost every case.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Can't catch, can't run, a bad combination for Wide Receiver.

ghst187

Reaction score
tm1119 said:
Boldin ran a 4.7 40. wich is still terrible for a WR and look how he turned out.

and it means nothing because how often does a reciever run a straight pattern 40 yards down the field with nothing affecting him? good route running beats speed in almost every case.

Yeah but Avant can't hold Boldon's jock. Boldon was a freakish talent and athlete who's numbers suffered because their QB sucked horribly. In fact, Boldon was a backup QB. If you saw Boldon play in college, he was the only gamechanger FSU had and he was a stud.
Avant has had decent QBs and never stepped up as U of M's #1 guy. He drops some easy passes, something Boldon NEVER did. Plus, Avant just flat out isn't a big playmaker. He can't create on his own or after the catch. Boldon could do both. Boldon played a lot faster than his 40 time and that was obvious if you saw him play. I was screaming at the tv when we let him slip by.
Avant isn't ever going to be more than a #3 IMO. He's just not a dynamic player. I'd take Travis Wilson or Greg Jennings over Avant everyday of the week. More big playmaking ability and will be better value picks.

tm1119

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Yeah but Avant can't hold Boldon's jock. Boldon was a freakish talent and athlete who's numbers suffered because their QB sucked horribly. In fact, Boldon was a backup QB. If you saw Boldon play in college, he was the only gamechanger FSU had and he was a stud.
Avant has had decent QBs and never stepped up as U of M's #1 guy. He drops some easy passes, something Boldon NEVER did. Plus, Avant just flat out isn't a big playmaker. He can't create on his own or after the catch. Boldon could do both. Boldon played a lot faster than his 40 time and that was obvious if you saw him play. I was screaming at the tv when we let him slip by.
Avant isn't ever going to be more than a #3 IMO. He's just not a dynamic player. I'd take Travis Wilson or Greg Jennings over Avant everyday of the week. More big playmaking ability and will be better value picks.

i completely agree with you. look at my first post i said that Avant wont be a good NFL WR. its just that the person who made the post was acting like a slow 40 time can make or break a WR's career and i used Boldin as an example against that.

ghst187

Reaction score
tm1119 said:
i completely agree with you. look at my first post i said that Avant wont be a good NFL WR. its just that the person who made the post was acting like a slow 40 time can make or break a WR's career and i used Boldin as an example against that.

Ok. I agree on that point then.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
So Jerry Rice ran a 4.74...

and Emmit Smith ran a similar time...

the greatest WR ever to play the game and one of the greatest RBs ever, as well...

40 times mean squat.
It's all about ability and intelligence.

I think Avant has both.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
So Jerry Rice ran a 4.74...

and Emmit Smith ran a similar time...

the greatest WR ever to play the game and one of the greatest RBs ever, as well...

40 times mean squat.
It's all about ability and intelligence.

I think Avant has both.

For every Jerry Rice there are three or four Rashawn Woods. Some players are able to overcome slow forty times. If two recievers in college have produced similar numbers at the collegiate level, the fastest guy should and will be picked first.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
Again, you cant have inconsistent hands and be THAT slow. Not a good combination at all.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
By the way, Bolden ran a 4.5 something at his pro-day work out, please don't make me find the link.. (too lazy right now, but I read it when I was doing research on receiver 10 yard dash times)

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
You guys haven't seen much of Avant apparently.
I'm no Michigan buff but I've seen enough of him to know that his hands are not suspect. They're some of the best in this draft.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
You guys haven't seen much of Avant apparently.
I'm no Michigan buff but I've seen enough of him to know that his hands are not suspect. They're some of the best in this draft.

Qwick,

You and I definately disagree on Avant. I have seen a lot of him. He does make the ocassional big play but will drop a lot as well. Not to mention he disappears in games. Something about Michigan players doing that sort of thing in this years draft class. Of Michigan's receiver corp, I'd rather have Breaston or Manningham(of course neither are in this draft)