WR Options

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Whether Glenn will be able to return or not remains to be seen. If the reality is that Glenn will never suit up in a Cowboys uniform again, what other options do we have for this year and for the future? It goes without saying that we need someone with enough speed to stretch the field. For the remainder of this season, we have a few prospects in Austin and Stanback that might be able to fit that role, but there is not any proof that the coaching staff trusts them with this responsibility.

The trade deadline has passed and we failed to capitalize on players such as Chris Chambers who would have been more than serviceable as a #2 option.

That leaves the free agency and frankly speaking, the pickings are slim. There are rumors floating around that Antonio Bryant might be brought back from the dead to fill this role, but there is no evidence that he is even in football condition let alone having the mental capacity to deal with playing as a team member again.

As the weeks go by, it’s going to become increasingly harder to put up the same numbers that we have earlier in the season with the same scheme. So what options are there?

The truth is, there may not be many options for this year other than to hope the young-ins show vast improvement and are able to crack into the game time lineup.

For next year, we have positioned ourselves to have 2 picks in the first round. We could use one of those picks to draft a young stud WR such as Jackson, Sweed, or Doucet. But do we really want to spend a 1st rounder on a WR? Someone posted a chart last year that showed that first round WRs are a bigger gamble than any other position. For an example, look no further than the Detroit Lions. How many picks were wasted on WRs that were full of potential only to crap out? C. Rogers? M. Williams? You can say that they broke even with C. Johnson and R. Williams, but even that is a 50/50 chance, one that we cannot afford to gamble with.

I would much rather use the free agency to draft a sure thing such as disgruntled WR Chad Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Those guys are #1 WRs by themselves. Can you imagine what that would do for our offense immediately? We could then use those picks on other positions of need such as CB and RB, depending on what happens with Jones in the offseason.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Randy Moss is a FA I believe. I will be surprised if he signs with anyone but NE, but he could command big $$ this off-season. Anyone still questioning his ability to impact an offense?

SacredStar

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1739680 said:
Randy Moss is a FA I believe. I will be surprised if he signs with anyone but NE,

You never know.

Moss' dream of playing for the Cowboys could become a reality if he really wants to wear the star and join the tradition that Dallas offers him.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
SacredStar;1739687 said:
You never know.

Moss' dream of playing for the Cowboys could become a reality if he really wants to wear the star and join the tradition that Dallas offers him.

Couldn't the Pats put the franchise tag on him?

Zman5

Reaction score
I can't see us signing "the other 81" as long as the "origional 81" was still here.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
SacredStar;1739687 said:
You never know.

That opportunity passed when we didnt get in on the 4th rounder for Moss at a paycut.... Jerry didnt think he could have TO and Moss....
f

First Irvin kept Moss away...
Now TO kept Moss away.... just wudnt meant to be

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
it must be really frustrating for Moss to not be able to play for the Cowboys. i mean Yomick is right, first it was irvin now its T.O.

i doubt a player/person like Moss is over the fact of not beeing a Cowboy'.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
kØwbØy;1739950 said:
it must be really frustrating for Moss to not be able to play for the Cowboys. i mean Yomick is right, first it was irvin now its T.O.

i doubt a player/person like Moss is over the fact of not beeing a Cowboy'.

On one level I would agree.... but I think he has tucked that away into the back of his mind. In other words... he has gotten over it...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Moss is having a career year, why would he want to leave. Pioli and the Cheater believed in him and gave him a chance. He signed a below market contract to go to Foxboro.

I would guees if he plays season at this clip he will be rewarded and paid. And I believe the tag applies.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
we need to steal from the playbook of the '00-'06 Pats, they had 1 good receiver and the rest were average, yet they were still able to move the ball consistently in the passing game, they also run a timing-based O, so we wouldn't have to reach that far to have a similar passing attack

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jdub2k4;1739676 said:
The trade deadline has passed and we failed to capitalize on players such as Chris Chambers who would have been more than serviceable as a #2 option.
Just a reminder, we have the 2nd highest scoring offense in the league without Glenn or Chambers.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Maybe Jerra should show Glenn some love and some "security" by waving some hard cash they way he did with Ellis.
And Glenn was waaay more productive than Ellis in the past couple of years.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are we having Wide receiver problems that I do not know about?

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Are we having problems with our passing game?

Isn't Romo on track to pass for 4,500 yards and 35 TDs (Cowboys single season record)?

Isn't TO on track for 1,200+ yards and double digit TDs?

Isn't Witten on track for 1,200+ yards (realistically 1,000 yards) and 8-9 TDs?

Isn't Crayton on track for 900 yards and 8-9 TDs?

Does those these numbers (all without T Glenn) sound like we are suffering from passing game so much that there was a huge need to make a trade?

I love T. Glenn and I think he'll be back next year, hopefully fully healed, I could see us draft a very good prospect WR next year's draft but for this year, we are doing just fine. Our passing game is least of our problems now, I would be more concerned with defensive side.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1739860 said:
No because he's an unrestricted free agent....

Dude, what are you talking about? The franchise tag is FOR unrestricted free agents to be! Why would you tag a restricted free agent? He can't leave if you match any salary offers he gets and of course why would you tag someone who is under contract in the first place?

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Do people think Sam Hurd is a viable WR down the line? What happened to him? He had that awesome TD catch the first game of the season, then disappeared.

Bernard Berrian and Bryant Johnson are FA's at the end of the season. Both guys are nice deep threats.

glassjaw

Reaction score
Here are most of the street free agents available at WR.

Jeremy Bloom
Alex Bannister
Antonio Bryant
Kelly Campbell
David Clowney (R)
Doug Gabriel
Az-Zahir Hakim
Cortez Hankton
Taylor Jacobs
Frisman Jackson
Bethel Johnson
David Kircus