WR problem our own fault

jman

Reaction score
cowboyeric8 said:
I was simply stating a type of hypothetical, and getting the quality names of people we let go. Jeez I didn't figure I would get some of you in such an uproar.

I only saw one quality name on your list and you miss-spelled his name.

It's Keyshawn not Keyshaun. And I was sad to see him go.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
cowboyeric8 said:
Ok I really hope this whole TO thing works out for the good of the Cowboys, but the lack of veterans and people with experience is our own fault.

We have traded, cut, or let go these four guys, that I would gladly take back in a heartbeat.

Joey Galloway (Bucs #1) He tore it up last year, and I would easily put him in #1 spot
Antonio Bryant (49ers #1) Easily a good #2
Peerless Price (Bills #1) A servicable #2 or #3
Keyshaun Johnson (Panthers #2) A good #1 or #2 and who didn't like the way he played last year?

Granted the Bills and 49ers aren't very good. But 2 of those guys I would rather have than TO.

I'm just saying the WR mess is our own fault.

Of course this is just my opinion.

I wouldnt take of those guys ahead of TO, and niether would any other NFL GM

Keyshawn fit the scheme but wasnt explosive enough to provide many (if any) big plays...nobody game planned for him

Galloway was too one dimensional in this offense

Price was horrible

Bryant is the only one on the list I wish we could have kept because he has talent and upside, but it just didnt work out

David

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
cowboyeric8 said:
Ok I really hope this whole TO thing works out for the good of the Cowboys, but the lack of veterans and people with experience is our own fault.

We have traded, cut, or let go these four guys, that I would gladly take back in a heartbeat.

Joey Galloway (Bucs #1) He tore it up last year, and I would easily put him in #1 spot
Antonio Bryant (49ers #1) Easily a good #2
Peerless Price (Bills #1) A servicable #2 or #3
Keyshaun Johnson (Panthers #2) A good #1 or #2 and who didn't like the way he played last year?

Granted the Bills and 49ers aren't very good. But 2 of those guys I would rather have than TO.

I'm just saying the WR mess is our own fault.

Of course this is just my opinion.

how could you have both galloway and johnson? that was a trade of equal value.

(I wouldn't take AB back...he is on his 3rd team and might be 4th or 5th or 6th in the works. Price!! PRICE!!!! are you kidding me. you lost all credibility with that one.

jay cee

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
You are aware that we traded one of the guys on your list for another one aren't you?
Yeah, but Keyshawn was going to be cut by the Bucs, so the Cowboys could have kept Galloway and signed Johnson.

I would rather have Galloway and Johnson over Owens myself.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Did anyone catch the part of the PC yesterday where a reporter said AB gave BP credit for helping him grow up and that he owes him a lot? I was actually pretty impressed by that because he gains nothing by saying it. I've always thought AB was a punk but maybe, just maybe he's growing up. He's the only one on that list worth talking about anyway.

But people need to take a deep breath and try to understand the situation. Do we have enough even without TO to be a competitive team week in and week out? I think so. Do we have enough without TO to be an elite, home field advantage throughout the playoffs team without TO? Er....no. Look at the Bengals last night with the OL and arsenal of weapons they have and you see what an elite offense looks like. We might not be quite that even with TO but we could be scary good. Even if it takes TO half the season to be fully comfortable in this offense and with DB, that's ok. But the possibilities are a lot more exciting with him than without him in terms of getting where we want to go.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Eric, I understnd and share in your frustration over the WR situation since Irvin left. Some bad decisions were made and the Cowboys did not draft and develop a receiver during the end of the last decade. In recent times, however, some better decisions have been made. Getting Terry Glenn for a 6th rounder was imho, an absolute steal. Galloway has great speed, but is not a great route runner. He was traded for Johnson, who is a great route runner, but does not have great speed. In terms of the current roster, we will have Owens, a proven pro, Glenn (see above) Crayton, a 7th rounder who, before his injury, was shaping up well. Add Rector and Hurd and you have a pleasant dilemma. All of these guys can catch footballs and I'm not even mentioning Green, Copper, and Miles, who may also factor in. Add to this list the TE's who are also looking good and maybe, just maybe, you're looking at a postion of strength on this team for the first time in quite a while.

BTW, how's the jaw? ;)

Eddie

Reaction score
At this moment, TO is the Man! Heap on the TO manlove.

The moment he's no longer a Cowboy is the moment everyone turns on him.

Same old story.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
But people need to take a deep breath and try to understand the situation. Do we have enough even without TO to be a competitive team week in and week out? I think so. Do we have enough without TO to be an elite, home field advantage throughout the playoffs team without TO? Er....no. Look at the Bengals last night with the OL and arsenal of weapons they have and you see what an elite offense looks like. We might not be quite that even with TO but we could be scary good. Even if it takes TO half the season to be fully comfortable in this offense and with DB, that's ok. But the possibilities are a lot more exciting with him than without him in terms of getting where we want to go.
Nicely said.

I'll just add that T.O.'s hamstring (and Crayton's ankle, and Glenn's feet) has allowed guys like Hurd and Rector to get lots of reps and these young guys look like they could become contributors. All things considered, I'd rather have Rector than Peerless Price, Joey Galloway (at his age, he doesn't have much of future), and AB (more baggage than talent).

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Isn't Peerless Price the genius who last week missed a practice because he couldn't read the practice schedule correctly? Even Rod Woodson, who's usually pretty polite on Total Access, was laughing at that. (Can you imagine the uproar if TO had done THAT?!)

Eddie

Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
I'd rather have Rector than Peerless Price, Joey Galloway (at his age, he doesn't have much of future), and AB (more baggage than talent).

Spoken like only a Cowboy fan would.

I think the rest of the NFL would disagree.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
stealth said:
peerless price got the shaft here, he coulda been a great number two for us especially considering his past with bledsoe. parcells never gave him the chance.

Again with the "Parcells didn't give _______ a chance" theories... Most players have to EARN their chances with BP by performing on the practice field. Price didn't do that plain and simple.

I just don't get the theories that BP doesn't give his players every chance to do the job... Does he not want his team to be the best it can be? I guess he just holds personal vendettas against players for no reason, even if they could help the team.

jay cee

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Spoken like only a Cowboy fan would.

I think the rest of the NFL would disagree.
I'm a diehard Cowboy fan, and I would never say that.:D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we would have drafted better years ago, instead of just trading down specifically for depth we would probably be better off today.

We could have had a QB on the roster behind Aikman to groom and take over for Aikman.

We could have had a WR groomed to take over for the play maker instead of wigging out when he got hurt and retired.

So...I think it is more the idea of what we could have been doing a few years that helped create such a problem for so many years.

Eddie

Reaction score
jay cee said:
I'm a diehard Cowboy fan, and I would never say that.:D

Me neither.

I just like pointing out these ExtremeSkin-type of statements. :)

Reaction score
I see NO problem with the talent we have at WR. In fact, I am amazed at how many UFA WRs we have who are of NFL calibur. I have gone on record blasting the team for their poor record regarding obtaining quality offensive linemen, so I will give credit, also, when it is due.

As was mentioned earlier, the injuries to TO, Glenn, & Crayton actually turned out to be a Godsend for two reasons:
  1. None of the injuries are career threatening, or even cause for putting them on the DL.
  2. Backups & rookies like Hurd, Rector, Austin, and Copper have gotten many more reps in practice, and in preseason games than they otherwise would have-giving Parcells & Co. a better look at who has the "stuff".
When you look at the way Glenn is absolutely tearing it up, even against double teams, and how Hurd, Rector, & the rest are showing up, it really gets me excited about the future. Before all the injuries, all people could say was how we don't have any young, quality WRs for the future. Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I believe Hurd, Rector, & either Austin or Copper will make up a VERY strong & deep WR corps. To tell you the truth, I'm pulling for Austin. I mean, how can a team from Texas cut a kid named Austin??

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Forgive me for not feeling all warm and fuzzy with TO, Glenn, and Crayton, they have prior injuries, and well TO is TO. And after that we have unprovens, though I think they can be successful.

I'm actually happy with the WR situation, I'm just stating the guys we have let go.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Of your list, Galloway is the best, but he didn't fit what Parcells wants. Parcells trusts Glenn and only Glenn; if Galloway wasn't going to be a possession WR then he was a decoy to Bill.

Galloway is kicking arse in Tamp Bay, so it was a very good move for him to get out of Dallas.

As for Price and Bryant-- these guys are bad and I'd rather take a chance developing my own talent than depend on either of them.

Keyshawn was excellent and I'd have loved to have kept him. I guess with Glenn and TO on the team Keyshawn would feel left out. I'm intrigued by the idea of him as a second TE as someone mentioned earlier, but he's not going to consistently block DE's and that makes him one-dimensional which somewhat defeats the purpose of the position.