WR Roy Williams wants to remain a Lion

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Receiver Williams wants to remain a Lion

Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- Roy Williams wants to play again this season -- and several more after it for the Detroit Lions.

Williams, the Lions' top receiver, will miss Sunday's game against Dallas because of a sprained ligament in his right knee. There are four games left in the regular season, and Williams hopes to get back for the last game at Green Bay.

Williams also wants to remain a Lion after the 2008 season, the last season on a five-year contract he signed when the Lions drafted him on the first round in 2004.

Williams talks often about his roots in Odessa, Texas. He played at the University of Texas. But he has no desire to play for any NFL team except the Lions, Williams said Wednesday.

"I don't think that's an issue," Williams said. "(Detroit) is my second home. Just because I talk about Texas and the Texas Longhorns and Odessa in every interview doesn't mean I want to go play for Odessa Whatever.

"If I wanted to leave, I'd say I want to leave. That's not a problem."

Williams was injured in the first half of the last game at Minnesota. The injury will not need surgery.

"I've still got to rehab it and stay with it -- see what happens," Williams said.

"I want to come back this season. It's tough. I've never been in this situation. I'm optimistic. Hopefully, I'll be back."

Brandon Middleton, a receiver on the practice squad, was signed to the 53-player active roster. He fills the spot left vacant when defensive back LaMarcus Hicks was put on injured reserve.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I believe him. I mean, who wouldn't want to spend thier entire career a Lion?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyWay;1814066 said:
I believe him. I mean, who wouldn't want to spend thier entire career a Lion?
I was thinking the same thing. I call BS, but felt the article was worth sharing.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Just because every thought I have is about Texas doesn't mean I want to leave Cold *** Detroit.

jumanji

Reaction score
i don't think he's flip flopping....there was an article a few days ago in detroit that predicted he would leave because he wants to come home. i'm sure the fans lit up talk radio up there and he had to come otu and say this to calm the folks down.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Translation: I'll say this so they won't put the franchise tag on me and if they don't, CYa wouldn't wanna be-ya.

wick

Reaction score
With a back-peddle like that, maybe the Lions should try him at corner.

rlgiv

Reaction score
What else is he gonna say? He has to deal with the media and his teamates. We'll see at the end of the season but, unless the Lions franchise him he will walk. I am sure he sees himself as a pretty good player and can be a vital role in another teams championship run which he will never get in Detroit.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1813903 said:
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Receiver Williams wants to remain a Lion

"I don't think that's an issue," Williams said. "(Detroit) is my second home. Just because I talk about Texas and the Texas Longhorns and Odessa in every interview doesn't mean I want to go play for Odessa Whatever.

Yet again, he manages to talk about Texas and his love for his home State.

;)

Brad0Walker

Reaction score
I cannot think of one reason why a talent like that who grew up in a small texas town where people are nice and weather is warm (too warm sometimes) would ever want to live an a god forsaken arm pit of the U.S. Detroit. I cannot honestly think of a place i would rather Not live. Maybe Baghdad, or somewhere in a warring country of africa, maybe antarctica, but other than that, not really. Another point, this guy played for odessa permian, a legendary texas high school football team, tradition of winning. The Texas longhorns, a tradition of winning. Now hes playing for one of the losingest franchises in NFL history, who has never won anything, even with barry sanders.

Im not calling the man a liar, I am just questioning why he wants to be there

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I believe Williams if a loyal person and wants to work hard for the team that drafted him.....good to see actually

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
I saw an interview with WR Roy and they asked about his contract and what not. They said there are rumors flying that you may wear a star on your helmet next year. Is this true? Roy smiled and said I would love that but honestly I would be happy wearing anything but a Lion on my helmet.