WR Torrey Smith reportedly received a third or fourth round projection from the N.F.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
ACC Kickoff Notebook: A Different Summer?
By Seth Hoffman
Sunday, 25 July 2010 19:11
http://www.insidemdsports.com/index...-different-summer&catid=42:football&Itemid=81
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Torrey Smith feels like this summer has been different. From extra film study to the enthusiasm in drills to the leaner and quicker builds of those around him, Maryland’s junior wide receiver can see a renewed and refined approach.

“I feel like we say we work hard every summer, but there’s been no summer like this one,” he said.

But there’s a hint of caution in Smith’s voice. A year ago the July and August optimism faded as the losses piled up during the season. The implied but unsaid question, then, is as relevant as ever as Smith heads into his fourth season at Maryland:

How does he or any player know if the summer work will pay off with victories in the fall?

The simple and obvious answer is that any number of factors—beginning with injuries—can alter the course of a season as quickly as it begins. And, of course, each of Maryland’s 12 opponents has also put in a summer of hard work.

Smith and senior linebacker Alex Wujciak, the Terps’ representatives at the ACC Kickoff here in Greensboro, N.C., consider that when reviewing what they’ve done since the end of spring practice in late April. But they shared the opinion that the team’s efforts will have a tangible effect come fall.

The most noticeable of their offseason work began before spring practice, when strength and conditioning coach Dwight Galt instituted a lean mass program. Each player’s body fat and composition was measured in detail, and Galt and the coaching staff tailored individual routines for each player to reach his target weight and makeup.

The result has been a slimmer and more agile group, especially among the linemen.

“I feel like we focus more on things that we didn’t,” Smith said. “Like finishing--no one bends over during workouts. That’s even out there in the desert heat we got going on. It’s just a bunch of mental things we feel like will be able to help us in the long run.”

Wujciak said lifts have been cut back to three days a week, conditioning and quickness workouts are four times a week and yoga and stretching exercises have been incorporated into the routine.

The weekdays are capped off with a grueling Friday, which is simply titled “Work Day.”

“Those workouts have been some of the toughest I’ve ever had to go through,” he said.

Wujciak added that the seniors have organized extra film sessions, which “we’ve never really done before.”

Smith, who is roommates with quarterback Jamarr Robinson and wide receiver Adrian Cannon, said players are increasingly open to criticism from each other. Wide receivers Kerry Boykins and LaQuan Williams, who live on the same floor as the three roommates, pop in occasionally to go over the playbook and watch film.

On Thursday, nearly the entire team participated in a series of competitions for Uplifting Athletes, an organization that helps fight rare diseases. Smith boasted that the offense won a majority of the events, such as tire flip, tug of war and sled relays.

It was the first time Maryland has hosted the fundraiser. Smith saw it as another team-building exercise, another sign this summer really has been different.

But Smith paused, acknowledging the real test of its success will come beginning Sept. 3 against Navy.

Don Brown’s Defense, Year Two

A year ago this time, there was widespread optimism surrounding defensive coordinator Don Brown’s aggressive system. But the learning curve turned out to be steep, and a slew of key injuries didn’t help.

Maryland finished the year 83rd in total defense, 98th in scoring defense, 105th in pass efficiency defense and 66th in rushing defense.

Wujciak said Sunday that while he was somewhat surprised at the struggles last year, he feels he and the rest of the defense have a much better grasp of the system.

“If you look at it going into last year, we really didn’t have half the stuff we have in right now,” he said. “He had to take it slow so people can learn and improve on the basics before we got into stuff that was more complex. I think now, going through another spring ball, it really helps a lot of guys. Everything slows down for them. I know a big thing for me was finding out what everyone else was doing, like the d-line and the DBs—I think it helps everyone play better.

“Last summer what the DBs were doing was like a different world to me. Obviously I didn’t do spring ball last year, but now I know what Kenny [Tate]’s doing, I know what Antwine [Perez]’s doing. It just helps me do my job better.”

Mr. Smith Goes to the Draft?

During year-end meetings after last season, coach Ralph Friedgen suggested that Smith submit his paperwork for the NFL Draft in order to receive some feedback.

Smith, who led the team with 61 receptions for 824 yards and broke his own ACC record for kick return yards with 1,309, said he was graded out as a third- or fourth-round pick.

But he never had any intentions of leaving school.

“I knew I was going back anyways,” he said. “That wasn’t even an option. That was just to toy around a little bit. …

“My goal since I’ve been little is to graduate from college, so I wouldn’t do anything until I did that.”

Smith said he is on track to graduate in December.

A Navarre-Like Spring for Vellano

In the spring after the 2007 season, defensive lineman Jeremy Navarre dominated and drew rave reviews from the coaches. He was deemed unblockable.

The reviews this spring for Joe Vellano, a defensive tackle who played for the first time last season, have been similar.

“That guy came out of nowhere in spring ball,” Wujciak said. “He literally just dominated the offense—every practice, every scrimmage, everything. He kind of had an injury history and he’s finally healthy and he’s ready to get after it.”

Vellano had a shoulder injury his freshman season and broke his foot in the preseason last year, which kept him out of the first seven games. He played the final five games and recorded a tackle.

But he came alive in the spring, and Friedgen said at the time he performed the best of any defensive player. So do the expectations Navarre carried to the next fall compare for Vellano?

“Kind of, but [they’re] two different players,” Wujciak said. “Joe’s very quick and I think he’s going to thrive in this defense with a lot of moving around. He’s really good with his hands. Meanwhile what Jeremy did—he was just bigger and stronger than everyone else. It wasn’t fair.”

Virtual Reality?

Maryland’s offense is already running differently with Robinson at quarterback than it did with Chris Turner under center. At least in the video game world.

Smith said he’s played NCAA Football 11, and with Robinson “I just take off. His speed’s up there—I just take off in the video game.”

The question, then, is will Maryland’s real offense resemble the virtual one? In other words, will there be more designed quarterback runs and option plays?

“I think we’ll see a little bit of it,” Smith said. “It’s not we’re going to do Georgia Tech or Navy or anybody. But I think you’ll see it here and there.”

Freshman Standouts

Smith: Offensive tackle Max Garcia; defensive back Jeremiah Johnson; and safety Titus Till.

Wujciak: Safety Matt Robinson. “He’s like 6-3, 220. He’s bigger than Kenny [Tate]. That’s saying something. He’s a big dude. He’s a good athlete too.”