WR trades revisited

BobSacamano

Reaction score
AJ Brown is worth $20M per. Cooper is not. Your contract is a huge part of your trade value
Dallas could have received a bit more in compensation if they ate his salary which they were clearly hoping to avoid.

nobody

Reaction score
The cowboys already made it known Amari was going to be released

whos trading a first round pick for someone they know is getting cut?

Also you have to factor in Amaris contract you trade the player you trade his contract as well

not all trades are the same

It's worse than that. They sort of badmouthed him, then made it known he'd be released, then sought a trade. It was the absolute worst strategy to take when trying to trade a player for anything of value.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So the cowboys trade Amari Cooper for a throwaway 5th round pick.

the titans trade AJ brown for a 1st AND 3rd round pick.

Can anyone explain how the cowboys did a good job with their trade considering?

and we can’t use the contract excuse because Brown then immediately got a massive extension from the team that traded for him (eagles)

Also, the ravens traded Hollywood brown for a first rounder.

The cowboys got FLEECED in trading Cooper for a 5th. FLEECED
its really not that complicated. we are stupid

HungryLion

Reaction score
They traded him because they did not think he was worth the amount he was being paid. Period.

If they felt he was a 20m a year WR they would not have traded him. Period.

The fact that they were over the cap is ONLY because they knew they did not want to keep Cooper. If they had wanted to keep Cooper they would have restructured the deal and kept him (could have gotten the deal down to right around what the dead money hit is right now for trading him), but they did not feel he was worth the contract. The fact that they felt that was something the entire league knew because they did not restructure him. High salary deals are great because they give you cap flexibility but they are not so great if you want to hide what you are doing and maximize trade value.

For context of why they felt he was not worth this deal, Adams effectively signed a 3 year deal for 22m per and Hill signed a 4 year deal for 24m per. Godwin basically is playing for the same money as Cooper and has already shown to be more consistent. They decided not to overpay for inferior production and traded him for what they could. Whether you agree or not he was not playing like a 20m a year WR. Period.

Lol you’re a great apologist for the FO’s failures. Good for you.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
1) It was pretty clear that the Titans were looking to move him. They balked at Brown's contract request.

2) Brown is a FA after this season and is demanding a massive contract (and got it from Philly), so his contract status at the time of the trade wasn't actually better than Cooper's. And the Browns promptly restructured Cooper making his contract more palatable.

Jerry and Stephen got depantsed.

There is much more context to it than this though. Cleveland had to restructure Cooper the moment they got him because he’s on year 3 of a 100m$ deal. On the flip side, rookie contracts cannot be dissolved by new deals as per the CBA, therefore Brown must play out his rookie contract before the extension kicks in. That means he’s still making Pennies this year, and likely also a low salary cap hit year 1 of the extension due to guarantees. It won’t be until 2024 when AJ Brown starts affecting our cap flexibility. If AJ brown was on a big contract right now, we likely don’t trade for him, as the salary cap hit is too severe. We paid for some level of salary cap freedom, versus Dallas who had to drop Cooper one way or the other due to his salary cap hit.

On top of that, Cooper is 3 years older than Brown. He only just turned 24. Because of the restructure that was necessary in absorbing Cooper’s contract, it’ll be harder for Cleveland to move on from Cooper anytime soon, and he’ll be in his 30’s when the contract ends.

All of that plays a factor.

HungryLion

Reaction score
There is much more context to it than this though. Cleveland had to restructure Cooper the moment they got him because he’s on year 3 of a 100m$ deal. On the flip side, rookie contracts cannot be dissolved by new deals as per the CBA, therefore Brown must play out his rookie contract before the extension kicks in. That means he’s still making Pennies this year, and likely also a low salary cap hit year 1 of the extension due to guarantees. It won’t be until 2024 when AJ Brown starts affecting our cap flexibility. If AJ brown was on a big contract right now, we likely don’t trade for him, as the salary cap hit is too severe. We paid for some level of salary cap freedom, versus Dallas who had to drop Cooper one way or the other due to his salary cap hit.

On top of that, Cooper is 3 years older than Brown. He only just turned 24. Because of the restructure that was necessary in absorbing Cooper’s contract, it’ll be harder for Cleveland to move on from Cooper anytime soon, and he’ll be in his 30’s when the contract ends.

All of that plays a factor.

Sure. But there’s also a massive massive difference between a 5th round pick. And a 1st and a 3rd.

if the cowboys got even just a 3rd for Cooper. We aren’t having this conversation at all right now. Most likely. Most of us cowboys fans would have been like “alright I’ll take that”

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

and we can’t use the contract excuse because Brown then immediately got a massive extension from the team that traded for him (eagles)

They created a scenario where they were going to get fleeced. Once they smeared the player, it was doubtfull he would redo his contract with Dallas. They created a market where teams where basically just giving up picks so they didnt have to compete with others on the open market.

I have to image if they didnt smear Cooper, they could have gotten a day 2 pick. Im not sure of the details of his redone deal, but he was never a 20 million per guy. The guarenteed years of his deal averaged 17 million, and that isnt alot for a WR of his caliber

stiletto

Reaction score
It's looking like one of the worst trades they've ever done next to the Roy Williams/Galloway debacles. Cooper's contract also looks like a complete bargain now...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Sure. But there’s also a massive massive difference between a 5th round pick. And a 1st and a 3rd.

if the cowboys got even just a 3rd for Cooper. We aren’t having this conversation at all right now. Most likely. Most of us cowboys fans would have been like “alright I’ll take that”

I wonder if you had gotten more if you waited until this WR frenzy had started. I think all of this goes back to Kirk setting the bar for a #2 WR at 19m$ per. Once everyone realized that was the new norm, #1’s became solid gold

HungryLion

Reaction score
I wonder if you had gotten more if you waited until this WR frenzy had started. I think all of this goes back to Kirk setting the bar for a #2 WR at 19m$ per. Once everyone realized that was the new norm, #1’s became solid gold

Poor vision on the front offices part. They’re supposed to anticipate what the markets will be like. They miscalculated badly.

Adreme

Reaction score
Lol you’re a great apologist for the FO’s failures. Good for you.

No I just see reality. Reality does not care about your feelings. I am sorry you cannot handle being wrong but you were. I have given numbers to back my claims whereas you cannot because there are no numbers to back your claim. Your claim is just basically ignore reality and just "figure it out" but the world doesnt work like that. There are a lot of failures this front office had but the way they handled Cooper was not one them. I am sorry you are incapable of viewing things outside of your absolutist bubble.

HungryLion

Reaction score
No I just see reality. Reality does not care about your feelings. I am sorry you cannot handle being wrong but you were. I have given numbers to back my claims whereas you cannot because there are no numbers to back your claim. Your claim is just basically ignore reality and just "figure it out" but the world doesnt work like that. There are a lot of failures this front office had but the way they handled Cooper was not one them. I am sorry you are incapable of viewing things outside of your absolutist bubble.

I don’t need to give you numbers. The salary cap options the cowboys had that did not include cutting Cooper were widely reported prior to the league year starting. They were easily able to get under the cap without even touching coopers contract, if they wanted to. It’s a fact.

I have basic logic. The cowboys DID NOT have to cut Cooper. They had other options at their disposal. They chose to let the whole world know he was going to get cut and then trade him for peanuts instead.

again it’s basic logic. The front offices made choices.

Btw, please tell me how pointing out that the cowboys had choices and made poor choices is an “absolutist bubble”. I’m literally saying the cowboys had choices that didn’t involve getting rid of Cooper. You’re the one saying they didn’t have choices. That’s the absolutist mindset.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Because Cooper isn't as good as AJ brown. He's older with injury issues, and questions about his big play ability. Dude was getting paid 20 mil and hasn't played like that except a rare season here or there.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Because Cooper isn't as good as AJ brown. He's older with injury issues, and questions about his big play ability. Dude was getting paid 20 mil and hasn't played like that except a rare season here or there.

The only thing you said that’s true is that Cooper is older.

Brown has never been consistently more productive than Cooper and has also missed a bunch of time with injuries.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
While that is probably true (it was personal), why not do the smart thing and NOT tank his value by leaking nonsense about his effort
They did not intentionally tank his trade value......they DO NOT know what they are doing!!!!!!!!

And for anyone that thinks it will get better if/when Jerry is no longer with us....it will NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
The only thing you said that’s true is that Cooper is older.

Brown has never been consistently more productive than Cooper and has also missed a bunch of time with injuries.

Thats the difference. You can be young with injury issues and inconsistent production because you have potential. The older you get then the less potential you have. Cooper is unlikely to better then what he is. A supreme route runner with an inability to stay on the field and questionable hands. AJ Brown has potential to become more, hence why he was traded for more then Cooper. Cooper should have never been given 20 mil. But the cowboys were stuck with no replacement, and already burned a #1 pick for him when he was... you guessed it Younger. Could the Cowboys have gotten more? Maybe, but they were up against a clock and even if Jerry didn't say anything everyone saw the writing on the wall during the season. It was clear and obvious he wasn't gonna be be here much longer with the way Gallup had been playing and 1st round draft pick Lamb. You guys can continue complaining if you want, but there were alot of things working against the cowboys. The fact that they got anything for him should be a plus considering what happened with Collins.

Creeper

Reaction score

Timing is everything, and so is marketing. Right after losing the playoff game to the 49ers, the Cowboys front office started complaining about Cooper lowering his value every time they blamed him for the loss. Then they let slip they would trade him or cut him! Imagine if the Brown didn't come forward with an offer? Would Jerry really have just cut him? If Jerry waited until the draft or even after, he could have gotten more for Cooper. The same is true with Collins. There was no need to dump Collins like they did since they don't see the CAP save until June 1. The Cowboys were impulsive with both players and it hurt them.