Wreckage of U.S.S. Indianapolis, Lost for 72 Years, Is Found in the Pacific

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
that is the trap of Wiki. A lot of the time all you really need to know is there; but sometimes there is more and its not. Always check the footnotes and use a second source.
Copy 666!
But I fished my primary info from the history of war link I posted, I seldom go to wiki unless it's info on an obscure player or something similar.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
that is the trap of Wiki. A lot of the time all you really need to know is there; but sometimes there is more and its not. Always check the footnotes and use a second source.
Footnotes are key, 666. Indeed, brother.

And sometimes, when checking said footnotes, you come across even more interesting articles than the wiki page, itself. Some prints from newspapers, in particular.

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
Yes, over 350. 900+ survived the sinking, however it took 5 days to get to them and the difference perished from exposure, thirst..fish attacks.
I watched a documentary on the USS Indianapolis sinking, years back. In it, they interviewed a man who had been on one of the rescue boats. He stated that when they lifted the survivors into the ship, their skin would sluff off in sheets, causing immense pain, due to being in the water and oil slick for days. The man said, through sobs, that their cries still haunted him. I will never forget hearing this. It touched me like only a handful of things do.. that you will never forget throughout your life.

haleyrules

Reaction score
I watched a documentary on the USS Indianapolis sinking, years back. In it, they interviewed a man who had been on one of the rescue boats. He stated that when they lifted the survivors into the ship, their skin would sluff off in sheets, causing immense pain, due to being in the water and oil slick for days. The man said, through sobs, that their cries still haunted him. I will never forget hearing this. It touched me like only a handful of things do.. that you will never forget throughout your life.
That sounds so terrible.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Capt of the ship got railroaded. Took a kid with a project to press the issue before he got cleared of all wrong doing by WJC

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
As this is now a tomb for US servicemen, I hope they leave alone. Here come the scavengers.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
As this is now a tomb for US servicemen, I hope they leave alone. Here come the scavengers.
That research vessel that operated the untethered drone was pretty secretive as to its exact location and stated it would take a highly Advanced Salvage operation that consists of millions of dollars in technology,its as safe as being on the moon(IMO)