Writing a book, I need your opinions....

bconngemini

Reaction score
My name is Ethan Hollingworth and I'm writing a book (tentive title is "The World's Opinion on the World's Game") and am looking to gather opinions of people from every continent about soccer and how different cultures reflect on the game and how soccer reflects on globalization.

I'm looking to gather as many opinions as possible, and I need America's opinion of soccer. What is your general impression of the sport, and what kind of things does it bring to mind?

Also what do you believe shaped these views? (for example whether you are pro or anti globalization)

Thanks in advance :)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Pretty fun sport to play, incredibly boring to watch. I used to play soccer and simply could not stand to watch it.

Speaking for myself, I get sick and tired of how soccer is shoved down the American sports fan's throat every couple of years like we "must watch soccer because it's the world's game" and if you don't like it, then you're some type of jingoistic xenophobe. Also, the entire "these are the world's greatest athletes" falls flat when you're watching football players that are 6'3", 250 pounds and can run a 4.5 forty.

Anyway, every few years the soccer craze will come up and you'll hear about how it's the fast rising game in terms of popularity in the US, but I just don't really buy it and have very little reason to watch it.

YAKUZA

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I was a goalie in Junior Soccer and was the All Star Goalie for my age group. No one scored on our team all year. That might lead you to think I was pretty good. You couldn't be more wrong.

I was by far the worst player in the league. I just happened to be on the team with the best player in the league, a kid named Roy who was from Bolivia or Columbia and he was better than kids 3 and 4 years ahead of him, maybe even older.

I think I had to block only 3 shots all season. Most games I could have taken a nap in goal because all the action was on the other side of the field.

To this day it pisses me off that I was given an award for that. It soured me on the game forever. I couldn't understand (and still don't) how the organizers could think I was the best Goalie in the league. Then it occurred to me that they probably didn't even watch the games. I wouldn't have either. Boring.

You might think this is uncommon. I'm going to disagree. I once read a story about a soccer game in London where a thick fog rolled in. It was so bad that Officials suspended the game. 20 minutes later the Goalie for one of the teams came into the locker room. He was unaware that play had been suspended and no one noticed he wasn't in the locker room.

I can relate. Horrible sport IMO. I wouldn't take free tickets to the World Cup unless I knew I could sell them for at least a ham sandwich.

bconngemini

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the opinons so far, I'm sure they will ruffle the feathers of foreign readers of my book :)

Also, can you guys please tell me if you see soccer being replaced by american sports in the next 50 years in Europe and elsewhere? For example, will football (NFL) and basketball replace soccer as the most global sports?

Carl23

Reaction score
I played soccer every season, and sometimes on multiple teams during the same season, for 26 years. I love it. I regulary watch matches on TV and religiously follow all of the major Cups.

I feel that soccer, unlike american football, is a difficult game for Americans to enjoy because of the instant-reward society that we (Americans) currently live in. There seems to be a perception by many American Football players that soccer players aren't *tough* and don't necessarily have to be coordinated. While it's hard to argue with that logic when you see all of the diving, fake injuries, and such, I do think that you have to be extremely tough to play the sport. Behind basketball, I think that soccer players are the most coordinated atheletes in any sport. You've got to be able to contort your body from head to toe at times to properly strike a ball.

I also enjoy watching internation games that pair up teams that play differing styles of play. It's awesome to see an incredible ball-control team like Argentina play against a long-ball team like Germany or combination team like Nigeria.

and...of course....skills. I could watch Ronaldo (Portuguse version) all day. The things that he is able to do with the ball...at the speed he is able to do it....is nothing short of miraculous. It's unfortunate that teams/refs don't allow him to play his game (he gets fouled so frequently that it can ruin the fun of watching the match).

I frequently download replays of *great* matches via the various torrent sites. I don't care if I know the score already...I just love watching amazing play/goals/saves...

woodsonfan84

Reaction score
im really not into soccer, i dont dislike it in any way, it just doesnt interest me that much. the only time i was interested was during the world cup. other than that i wont watch it.

AtlCB

Reaction score
I tried to get into soccer during the last world cup, but the game simply wasn't that exciting. I also understand very little about the game. When I grew up, nobody played soccer. My high school didn't even field a soccer team.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Hotcarl23;2263155 said:
I played soccer every season, and sometimes on multiple teams during the same season, for 26 years. I love it. I regulary watch matches on TV and religiously follow all of the major Cups.

I feel that soccer, unlike american football, is a difficult game for Americans to enjoy because of the instant-reward society that we (Americans) currently live in. There seems to be a perception by many American Football players that soccer players aren't *tough* and don't necessarily have to be coordinated. While it's hard to argue with that logic when you see all of the diving, fake injuries, and such, I do think that you have to be extremely tough to play the sport. Behind basketball, I think that soccer players are the most coordinated atheletes in any sport. You've got to be able to contort your body from head to toe at times to properly strike a ball.

I also enjoy watching internation games that pair up teams that play differing styles of play. It's awesome to see an incredible ball-control team like Argentina play against a long-ball team like Germany or combination team like Nigeria.

and...of course....skills. I could watch Ronaldo (Portuguse version) all day. The things that he is able to do with the ball...at the speed he is able to do it....is nothing short of miraculous. It's unfortunate that teams/refs don't allow him to play his game (he gets fouled so frequently that it can ruin the fun of watching the match).

I frequently download replays of *great* matches via the various torrent sites. I don't care if I know the score already...I just love watching amazing play/goals/saves...
I don't think you could be more wrong in the bolded opinion. I fail to see how 'instant gratification' has anything to do with enjoying soccer or football more. I seriously doubt perceived toughness has anything to do with it either. Baseball is a very popular sport in the US, and baseball players have the reputation of being the biggest pansies of any of the major sports.

Football is our sport! To us, the sport has everything. The sport has toughness, plenty of excitement, and involves more strategy than any other major sport.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Dude, write a book about something people care about.....

Maybe something like, "Where do farts go"?

DALLAS D

Reaction score
Unlike many of my fellow cowboy fans, the sport roots in my family are in football (soccer), and although i must say american football is the best sport in America, i couldnt say i enjoy it more than soccer. Watched my first world cup when i was 8 years old and never looked back (US World Cup 94). Although i know american football will never leave the number one spot, i have high hopes that one day america will embrace the sport of the world. The world cup is like a months worth of superbowl/playoffs games, ive heard of factories and communities coming to a hault to watch their country play Ive been around people that were so tense during the game they nearly ate the wrapper with their sandwich. Of course i happen to be mexican american. So my views are different. I can say i was surprised when i went to an LA Galaxy game and saw how well Beckham has brought people to the stands. What baffles me is baseball. i dont know what people see in baseball now thats a boring sport. For me it will always be futbol and football.

DALLAS D

Reaction score
Hotcarl23;2263155 said:

Zinadine zidane was always up for a show, and germany plays with such speed and coordination. i share your love for the game. But i do believe its the roots that hold the tree, and our schools and colleges have yet to plant the seeds of soccer.