Writing .MTS files to DVD

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just got a new Canon HD camcorder.

I used it for the first time at an airshow. I'm now interested in some video editing and then burning to DVD.

The camera records to .MTS files.

In the past, I have used Windows MovieMaker as a quick way to throw a movie together. Obviously, I can't use this software with .MTS files without downloading a MTS to WMV converter.

I know we have some unbelievable video editors as members here. Do you have suggestions?

I have done a lot of google'ing to see that the best thing to do to not lose the quality is burning to a Blu-ray, unfortunately I do not have a blu-ray burner.

I'm not a techie by any means as you can tell.

Thanks for the help.

63echo

Reaction score
Aikmaniac;3900614 said:
Just got a new Canon HD camcorder.

I used it for the first time at an airshow. I'm now interested in some video editing and then burning to DVD.

The camera records to .MTS files.

In the past, I have used Windows MovieMaker as a quick way to throw a movie together. Obviously, I can't use this software with .MTS files without downloading a MTS to WMV converter.

I know we have some unbelievable video editors as members here. Do you have suggestions?

I have done a lot of google'ing to see that the best thing to do to not lose the quality is burning to a Blu-ray, unfortunately I do not have a blu-ray burner.

I'm not a techie by any means as you can tell.

Thanks for the help.

Maybe not much help here, but I use Sony Vegas for my MTS files. It's a great program and well worth the $70 for the consumer version. I've also heard good things about DVD Flick (free!), but I haven't bothered with it since I've already got my solution. FWIW, the files I end up burning to DVD look pretty sharp. It's not Blu Ray quality obviously, but they still look really good.

Also, this may not interest you much (and you likely already know), but if you plan on moving a lot of your stuff to optical, Blu Ray burners are getting pretty cheap and it might be a worthy investment to go along your your new camera. There's a Lite On on Amazon right now for about $65.00.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Well, if you have a blu-ray player (not a burner) you can still burn the files to DVD as an AVCHD and keep them HD. They will play back on a blu-ray player.

I usually use Nero to do AVCHD since it's a pretty simple (yet limited) way to create a menu based AVCHD (DVD and blu-ray as well).

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I have a Canon and I finalize my files and it converts them to usable formats...

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
trickblue;3901031 said:
I have a Canon and I finalize my files and it converts them to usable formats...

Stupid question notice:

What do you mean by finalizing your files?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Aikmaniac;3901047 said:
Stupid question notice:

What do you mean by finalizing your files?

I'll have to check my menus as i haven't used mine in a few months. DVD's that come out of the Canon aren't playable on a standard dvd player. When your disc is full you convert them over (I thought it was finalize) and they are playable anywhere or you can edit them with standard software...

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
trickblue;3901058 said:
I'll have to check my menus as i haven't used mine in a few months. DVD's that come out of the Canon aren't playable on a standard dvd player. When your disc is full you convert them over (I thought it was finalize) and they are playable anywhere or you can edit them with standard software...

Gotcha.

The Canon I have actually stores the files on the camera's hard drive or SD card.

I'm just trying to keep as much of the quality as possible when burning to a DVD. It sounds like I'll need to buy a Blu-ray burner and burn them that way.

Also, I've noticed in the editing software I do have that the preview of the video is really choppy. Is that due to my laptop not being fast enough to keep up or the software saving resources when showing the preview?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Aikmaniac;3901340 said:
Gotcha.

The Canon I have actually stores the files on the camera's hard drive or SD card.

I'm just trying to keep as much of the quality as possible when burning to a DVD. It sounds like I'll need to buy a Blu-ray burner and burn them that way.

Also, I've noticed in the editing software I do have that the preview of the video is really choppy. Is that due to my laptop not being fast enough to keep up or the software saving resources when showing the preview?

You don't need a blu-ray burner, just a blu-ray player for AVCHD. AVCHD is burned on DVDs, but plays at HD resolutions on a blu-ray player. Unless you have a lot of footage and need the extra space, that should be fine. Of course if burners are only $65, then I'd definitely go that route. It's a lot less than I paid for mine about 2 years ago.

63echo

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3901722 said:
You don't need a blu-ray burner, just a blu-ray player for AVCHD. AVCHD is burned on DVDs, but plays at HD resolutions on a blu-ray player. Unless you have a lot of footage and need the extra space, that should be fine. Of course if burners are only $65, then I'd definitely go that route. It's a lot less than I paid for mine about 2 years ago.

Yeah, burners are getting super cheap. The LG I bought 6 months ago has had its price halved. I've been playing this game for quite some time so I don't know why I'm always surprised when prices drop like that, but I am.

The media is still pretty expensive though, at over $1.00 a pop. Expensive coasters.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
63echo;3901762 said:
Yeah, burners are getting super cheap. The LG I bought 6 months ago has had its price halved. I've been playing this game for quite some time so I don't know why I'm always surprised when prices drop like that, but I am.

The media is still pretty expensive though, at over $1.00 a pop. Expensive coasters.

Cheaper than DL-DVDs though. I can spare $1 for 25 GB.