WUSA says Skins prohibiting tailgate interviews.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
WUSA says Skins prohibiting tailgate interviews

Since I mentioned this on Twitter, might as well put it here, too. I was watching WUSA-9's 11 pm Tuesday night broadcast, and after a piece about Commanders fan dissatisfaction and the recent ban on signs, the program cut back to anchor Derek McGinty in the studio.
"Tonight the Commanders have seemingly escalated things again; they've banned media interviews with tailgating fans on FedEx Field property," McGinty said. "They told our sports director Brett Haber that this has always been team policy, but when he pointed out that we and other stations, including their very own broadcast partners, have in fact always talked openly to tailgaters, there was, well let's just say, no further explanation."
I suppose I'll try to follow up on this Wednesday.
Commanders blogger Matt Terl posted this comment in his Skins Blog.
It's not a new policy, and it's not all media. Specifically, TV interviews cannot be conducted in the FedExField parking lot because they have a tendency to draw a crowd -- especially at night games -- and cause even further traffic issues. The issue flared up at Monday's game because one of the networks tried to set up a TV truck in the parking lot several times, even after being told that was not permitted.
TV interviews (without trucks) CAN be conducted on the sidewalks outside the stadium.
This should not affect bloggers (or Boggers) or print reporters who want to walk around and talk to tailgaters. And I'm told this policy has been in place for the entire life of FedExField.
var entrycat = 'Media, Commanders'By Dan Steinberg | October 28, 2009; 1:05 AM ET