Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
W. Virginia files lawsuit against Big East
Updated: October 31, 2011, 5:28 PM ET​

W. Virginia files lawsuit against Big East

By Andrea Adelson​

ESPN.com​

West Virginia filed a civil lawsuit against the Big East on Monday in an attempt to exit the conference in 2012 to join the Big 12, squarely blaming commissioner John Marinatto for the instability of the conference.​

In the 14-page suit filed in Monongalia County Circuit Court in West Virginia, the university claims it should not be held to the 27-month waiting period required of all departing teams. West Virginia alleges, "The Big East Conference and its commissioner, through their actions, breached their contract to WVU and nullified and voided the bylaws."​
The reason the Big East breached its contract? West Virginia alleges that nothing was done to protect the remaining six football playing schools once Pitt, Syracuse and TCU left. That created such instability, that the lawsuit alleges Cincinnati, Rutgers and UConn engaged in discussions with the ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Big Ten.

Source: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...john-marinatto

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I hope all of this does not backfire on WVU.

I also hope they don't regret jumping from a big fish in a little pond to a .... well, you know.

In the Big 12, I think our first string will be ok on both sides of the ball, but depth week in and week out playing that schedule may be an issue until we can get deeper at the OL and DL.

But this should help recruiting overall, and in that region specifically because Holgorsen has contacts all over down there.

Here we go, let the ride begin!

Aikbach

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4220603 said:
I hope all of this does not backfire on WVU.

I also hope they don't regret jumping from a big fish in a little pond to a .... well, you know.

In the Big 12, I think our first string will be ok on both sides of the ball, but depth week in and week out playing that schedule may be an issue until we can get deeper at the OL and DL.

But this should help recruiting overall, and in that region specifically because Holgorsen has contacts all over down there.

Here we go, let the ride begin!
WV will be a good addition to a strong conference, I wouldn't worry.

MC KAos

Reaction score
the big east also sued to keep them for 27 months. if the big 12 adds louisville, they will have no leverage with so many teams leaving

Rogah

Reaction score
MC KAos;4224380 said:
the big east also sued to keep them for 27 months. if the big 12 adds louisville, they will have no leverage with so many teams leaving
Oh I dunno. I think a contract written and signed is pretty good leverage. It doesn't seem to me the WVU has much chance of winning especially if Syracuse and Pittsburgh adhere to the 27 month rule.

But, as is so often the case with these things, a little money will go a long way towards making a resolution.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Rogah;4224469 said:
Oh I dunno. I think a contract written and signed is pretty good leverage. It doesn't seem to me the WVU has much chance of winning especially if Syracuse and Pittsburgh adhere to the 27 month rule.

But, as is so often the case with these things, a little money will go a long way towards making a resolution.

very true, i think what the other schools that end up leaving do is key