WVU vs Maryland at 12 est on ESPN2

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should be a good game both are ranked.
WVU is ranked higher but Maryland has spanked WVU the last few times we have played.

This is the one team that scares me on the schedule.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1881428

Harris, WVU been waiting for this one

By Joe Bendel
Special to ESPN.com

A little thing like a hamstring injury won't keep West Virginia senior Kay-Jay Harris from playing in the Game of the Year on Saturday against visiting Maryland.

"Listen," said Harris, the Mountaineers' gregarious and talented tailback. "I'm going to have a slumber party in the training room -- that's how long I plan to be in there. I'm sleeping there every night. Come on in. Bring your friends. I'm staying 'till they fix me up."

If you've surmised that the Maryland game means everything to Harris and the Mountaineers, you would be right. For one, No. 8 West Virginia has a score to settle with the Terrapins after getting humiliated the past three meetings, including losses of 34-7 and 41-7 (Gator Bowl) in 2003.

More importantly, this is a signature game for the Mountaineers (2-0), an opportunity to show the nation (ESPN2, Noon ET) that they are BCS title-game worthy.

No. 19 Maryland (2-0) could end up being the only ranked team the Mountaineers play this season, which means they must make their case to the pollsters in convincing fashion.

Harris, 6-foot-1, 235 pounds, is well aware of those facts.

"This is our over-the-hump game," said Harris, who expects the Mountaineer Field rowdies to be out in full force in an effort to intimidate a Maryland team making its first road appearance. "If we win, we can ride it to the Orange Bowl. And we've definitely had that sour taste in our mouths the last nine months since the Gator Bowl loss. ... We're going to burn the boats when we go into battle this time."

Burn the boats?

Kay-Jay Harris plans on playing despite a tweaked hamstring.
"It means we won't need them anymore," he said. "We'll be there to stay."

A healthy Harris could fortify a West Virginia running attack that ranks third nationally at 356.0 yards per game. Harris produced 337 of those yards on 25 carries in the Mountaineers' 56-23 season-opening victory over East Carolina, but managed just seven yards on two carries last week before leaving with the hamstring injury in a 45-20 win over Central Florida.

"I was so frustrated when I got hurt," said Harris, whose backup, Jason Colson, ran for 108 yards and a touchdown in his absence. "I'm sitting on the sideline, watching and thinking, 'I could run for 200 more yards in this one.' Now, I'm hungrier. I can't wait to get out there this week and show what I can do."

Asked if he's capable of surpassing his Big-East record rushing total of two weeks ago, Harris said, "why not?" He then asked sports information director Shelly Poe what the single-game NCAA rushing record is. She told him it was 406 yards, set by LaDainian Tomlinson of TCU in 2000.

"I could have had that the first game if I didn't come out with nine minutes left," he said. "That was one drive, two tops."

Harris is the elder statesman on the Mountaineers, a 25-year-old former minor-league baseball player who made his name on the Tampa playgrounds with a 42½ vertical leap and gravity-defying dunks. He and Houston Rockets star Tracy McGrady were high school rivals.

He's seen a lot, been through a lot. And he tries to be a steadying influence for his younger teammates.

"Whatever I can do to help," Harris said.

Harris realizes that quarterback Rasheed Marshall, who is coming off a 14-of-18, 225-yard effort against Central Florida, needs to overcome his 0-3 record against Maryland.

Marshall was outplayed by WVU transfer Scott McBrien last season in both meetings. Marshall threw for 112 combined yards; McBrien, who has graduated, threw for 601.

"Kay-Jay keeps all of us together," Colson said. "Just having a guy around like that makes it better for us."

Harris, like coach Rich Rodriguez, said the Mountaineers consider themselves major underdogs against a Maryland team that struggled in the opener against Northern Illinois (23-20), but easily handled Big East member Temple (45-22). They like that way, too.

"That makes us want it more," Harris said. "We have something to prove to these guys, to the country."

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adam "Pac Man" Jones gets the int...next play Kay Jay Harris runs it in for a TD....WVU 7-0 over Maryland....for now.

Now I got to stay off the puter and watch the game. :cool:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Adam "Pac Man" Jones gets the int...next play Kay Jay Harris runs it in for a TD....WVU 7-0 over Maryland....for now.

Now I got to stay off the puter and watch the game. :cool:
I got my fingers crossed for ya, BP.

13-10 Maryland with nine min to go, but WVU mounting a nice drive

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Congrats, BP!!!!

Nice overtime win!!

Thanks....talking about sweating bullets.

Man alive we cause 5 turnovers and have to win in OT.

Oh well we got that Maryland Monkey off our backs and if WVU can just stay focused they have a good chance at going undefeated and winning the Big East....and I have to admit I want them to whip up on BC to send them out of the Big East in style ;)

BTW...Why is BC still in the Big East...they do not officially move to the ACC till next season?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Oh well we got that Maryland Monkey off our backs and if WVU can just stay focused they have a good chance at going undefeated and winning the Big East....and I have to admit I want them to whip up on BC to send them out of the Big East in style ;)

BTW...Why is BC still in the Big East...they do not officially move to the ACC till next season?
Haha, bring it on, BP.

I'm gonna be nice to ya because your OTHER college team is now 0-3. :D

Yep, the move for the Eagles is next year.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Haha, bring it on, BP.

I'm gonna be nice to ya because your OTHER college team is now 0-3. :D

Yep, the move for the Eagles is next year.

Yes Marshall lost again. I was doing some channel surfing today.

But once again I am proud of Marshall...they go back to back against two top ten teams and lose by a combined 10 points.....If we just had Watts still I think we could have one at least one of them...but oh well that is the way the cookie crumbles.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Yes Marshall lost again. I was doing some channel surfing today.

But once again I am proud of Marshall...they go back to back against two top ten teams and lose by a combined 10 points.....If we just had Watts still I think we could have one at least one of them...but oh well that is the way the cookie crumbles.
BP, the sports announcers have been mentioning how close all Marshall's games were, and the level of competition they've been facing.

I don't think anyone who is half way paying attention thinks they stink.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Hey BP .. what a sweet finish !!

As I mentioned to you privately, I went to the game.

I was really worried, because MD actually had taken control of the game in the second half I felt.

I was furious when we jumped offsides on that 4th down. Dumb.

I remembered what it was like to be a Mountaineer fan when they blocked our FG attempt to win the game.

Our weakness is still inconsistentcy at QB. At least from a passing perscpective. He seems to run the offense well, and he is a great runner himself. But he still misses too many open receivers which just wastes a down.

I think their young QB grew up a little as the game went on.

I am still concerned about VT, Pitt, BC, ... maybe even UConn.
Isn't that game up there?

Anyway, winning is better than losing any day so even though it was ugly, I will take it.

Later.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WV Cowboy said:
Hey BP .. what a sweet finish !!

As I mentioned to you privately, I went to the game.

I was really worried, because MD actually had taken control of the game in the second half I felt.

I was furious when we jumped offsides on that 4th down. Dumb.

I remembered what it was like to be a Mountaineer fan when they blocked our FG attempt to win the game.

Our weakness is still inconsistentcy at QB. At least from a passing perscpective. He seems to run the offense well, and he is a great runner himself. But he still misses too many open receivers which just wastes a down.

I think their young QB grew up a little as the game went on.

I am still concerned about VT, Pitt, BC, ... maybe even UConn.
Isn't that game up there?

Anyway, winning is better than losing any day so even though it was ugly, I will take it.

Later.

I agree about the QB's weakness and we have talked about that before....I wish they did a flea flicker play every now and then but who knows if it would work as his accuracy is so sporadic.

Also....as of Now I am not going to worry about pitt...will have to wait till towards the end of the season to see if they turn things around.

VT and BC IMO are two teams that may trip us up, however if the team can stay focused they should do well.

BTW...LaTunaNostra is a BC fan...so when you get a chance you have to razz her ;) :D