WVU vs. USF

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Bulls let me down last week against UConn but we get the Mountain People here at Ray Jay for one last Big East slugfest. WVU probably still makes the Sugar Bowl, but they won't forget their tussle with the Bulls.

USF really didn't deserve to win the Big East after that showing against UConn, but hopefully Coach Leavitt will have them primed and ready next season...with hopefully a new QB. Julmiste is simply horrible.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I meant to thank the Bulls for losing that game and basically letting WVU clench the East. :D

On the upcoming game....

For your teams sake I hope they can stop the running game of WVU or it is going to be an upsetting night for you.

QB White, RB Slayton have become a dynamic duo of a running threat to heed and on occasion FB Schmidt makes a game interesting in the run game as well.

However if your team can stop the run....then WVU will be hurting as their passing game stinks IMO.

So here is to a good game and no serious injuries. :cool:

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
I meant to thank the Bulls for losing that game and basically letting WVU clench the East. :D

On the upcoming game....

For your teams sake I hope they can stop the running game of WVU or it is going to be an upsetting night for you.

QB White, RB Slayton have become a duel running threat to heed and on occasion FB Schmidt makes a game interesting in the run game as well.

However if your team can stop the run....then WVU will be hurting as their passing game stinks IMO.

So here is to a good game and no serious injuries. :cool:

Hey...that sounds exactly like USF. Stop RB Andre Hall and you'll win.

It should be a great night for a game. BTW, I believe USF can still win the Big East if they beat WVU and Louisville beats UConn. Tiebreakers. Boy would the nation love that or what? LOL.

sporadic

Reaction score
Go WVU!!!! And if they don't win by 10, I think i'm gonna cry...all parlays run through WVU for this old boy.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
WVU has impressed me this year.

In that in games that they might stub their toe in the past, they have come out and methodically taken care of business.

Cinn., UConn, Pitt

QB Pat White has made a difference.

Consider this: West Virginia was averaging 24.2 points and 351.8 yards per game in its first six contests against Syracuse, Wofford, Maryland, East Carolina, Virginia Tech and Rutgers. In their last four since White orchestrated WVU’s 17-point fourth-quarter comeback against Louisville, the Mountaineers have averaged 43.5 points and 415 yards per game. On the ground West Virginia is averaging a staggering 314.3 yards per contest. That’s worth repeating: on the ground West Virginia is averaging a staggering 314.3 yards per contest.

WVU looks to be for real this season.
I guess we'll see what USF has got.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I'm not impressed by WVU. What would be their most impressive win of the season? Beating Rutgers? That's the only team they've beaten other than Louisville that has a winning record.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stan, you must be talking about USF, not WVU. We stomped Louisville.

Tell you the truth, I didn't think USF would be as good as they are right now with that scrub at QB. I hope beyond hope that there is a viable replacement to Andre Hall.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StanleySpadowski said:
I'm sorry but I'm not impressed by WVU. What would be their most impressive win of the season? Beating Rutgers? That's the only team they've beaten other than Louisville that has a winning record.

It is not so impressive of WHO they have beat...it is how they have won this year.

You have to realize they have a redshirt freshman QB, a true freshman running back who started as the 4th string RB in the year and only started the last few games but is putting up amazing stats.

This is a team that literally runs, runs and runs and honestly is terrible in the passing game...if they get hot passing it is a rare thing.

Plus early on with that young offense they have made turn overs after turn overs and still came back to win in a fashion that says they dominated the opposing team.

This team in some games has done everything to lose and yet still won the game.

No the impressive thing about them is...they should not be this good this early with the young QB and RB...they have exceeded expectations and I only see good things for them next year.

Now as far a bowl games...may make fellow WVU fans angry...but they suck in bowl games and have a terrible record for the last many years.

But once again if you seen how they have won, and with the young players in key positions they have won with...I just do not see how you could not be impressed.

It is one thing to look at a schedule and scores...it is another thing to actually watch all the games and know the players. :cool:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
When I said I was impressed, I was comparing this years performance to past WVU teams.

Although I am not sure what you would have them to do, they can only play the team that is on the schedule.

No, the most impressive win would be the come from behind win over Louisville.

While Rutgers & Louisville are the only teams WVU has defeated with a winning record, had UConn, Pitt, Maryland & East Carolina beaten WVU instead of the other way around they would have winning records.

So part of the reason they don't have winning records is because WVU beat them.

How can you hold that against WVU ?

I look at how they won, ... did they hang on at the end, did they look bad while beating a weak team, or did they come out and own the game from the opening drive until the end of the game ?

This team has impressed me by the way they have taken care of business.

I think WVU has a chance to beat USF, and they are projected to play LSU in their bowl game, which I have my doubts that they can beat LSU, but we'll see.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Look at the entire state of the Big East though. What would you claim as the most impressive out of conference win for any team in the conference. The worst team in the Big 10, Illinois, who lost every Big 10 game by an average of something like 30 pts a game beat Rutgers, an uppper echelon Big East team.

I have seen better than a half dozen WVU games this year, mostly bits and pieces, but nonetheless, I watched the entire Backyard Brawl and realize that rivalry games don't always give the full picture, but Pitt is terrible. They were ranked one of the five worst teams in the country at one point after getting hammered by Ohio. That's not a typo, not Ohio State, Ohio.

I guess we could wait until WVU gets rolled in a BCS bowl to prove my point, but that'd prove nothing because WVU always gets rolled in their bowl game.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StanleySpadowski said:
Look at the entire state of the Big East though. What would you claim as the most impressive out of conference win for any team in the conference. The worst team in the Big 10, Illinois, who lost every Big 10 game by an average of something like 30 pts a game beat Rutgers, an uppper echelon Big East team.

I have seen better than a half dozen WVU games this year, mostly bits and pieces, but nonetheless, I watched the entire Backyard Brawl and realize that rivalry games don't always give the full picture, but Pitt is terrible. They were ranked one of the five worst teams in the country at one point after getting hammered by Ohio. That's not a typo, not Ohio State, Ohio.

I guess we could wait until WVU gets rolled in a BCS bowl to prove my point, but that'd prove nothing because WVU always gets rolled in their bowl game.

You say you are not impressed...due to the conf and the other teams.

Point WVUCowboy and I are making is that WE are impressed due to expectations and young players on a team.

That is what it boils down to in my mind.

I never claimed they are the best team in football or comparable to other teams in other conferences.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
BP, You're no fun to argue with when your reasonable. :banghead:

I will say that the USF/WVU game is the most important football game in the history of the Big East.

USF wins and it'll be tough explaining why the Big East deserves an automatic BCS bid, following so close on the heels of a mediocre Pitt team earning one.

I honestly see the BCS bid gone at the next contract and a football oriented school like WVU bolting a basketball heavy conference for somewhere else.

I wonder if any BCS conference might be looking for one more school????

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StanleySpadowski said:
BP, You're no fun to argue with when your reasonable. :banghead:

I will say that the USF/WVU game is the most important football game in the history of the Big East.

USF wins and it'll be tough explaining why the Big East deserves an automatic BCS bid, following so close on the heels of a mediocre Pitt team earning one.

I honestly see the BCS bid gone at the next contract and a football oriented school like WVU bolting a basketball heavy conference for somewhere else.

I wonder if any BCS conference might be looking for one more school????

Personally I hate any Automatic bids due to conference....I don't think it is fair and don't care for it...but I don't make the rules.

The big east really got killed with VT and Miami leaving to the ACC and the only thing they could do was make up for it in Basketball.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So...did Pat White (QB) impress you with his running ability?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing WV's two freshman RB's ...... I have heard good things about them.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40 said:
I'm looking forward to seeing WV's two freshman RB's ...... I have heard good things about them.

Well...I guess you can call the QB a RB...because he sure isn't much of a passing QB lol.

Last week he had over 200 yards rushing....and this last game he had 171 yards rushing.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Well...I guess you can call the QB a RB...because he sure isn't much of a passing QB lol.

Last week he had over 200 yards rushing....and this last game he had 171 yards rushing.

Hey he's just a Freshman.....Sounds like a QB I know from Texas, V. Young, He always ran for more Yds than he passed in his Fresh & Solph, years. :)

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good game WVU. The 'Neers did well on 3rd down conversions. The USF defense folded on 3rd and longs...it killed me.

Oh well...off to the world-renown Meineke Car-Care Bowl. LOL

Good luck in the Sugah.