X-Mas Mock-Early Projection (Rds 1-4)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

Here is my first mock of the yr, since it's so early, just the first 4 rd for the Cowboys, including the two expected comp picks. My projection is the current draft slot of 8, which is subject to change:

1-Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech (elite potential, but needs more polish)
2-Trevon Moehrig S TCU (early on not a fan of the safety class, but he is currently the #1 at the position)
3-Chaz Surratt LB North Carolina (Future Starter at the Mike)
3C-Aidan Hutchinson DE Michgan (See him here in many big boards, can play end and also kick inside)
4-Jordan Davis NT Georgia (2 Down run player who is hard to move)
4C-Tyler Vrabel T Boston College (Developmental Tackle with NFL Bloodlines)

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I'd prefer Surtain but Farley or PS would be a major upgrade either way...Surrat is a freak! But do you think he'll be there in the 3rd?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

Here is my first mock of the yr, since it's so early, just the first 4 rd for the Cowboys, including the two expected comp picks. My projection is the current draft slot of 8, which is subject to change:

2-Trevon Moehrig S TCU (early on not a fan of the safety class, but he is currently the #1 at the position)
3C-Aidan Hutchinson DE Michgan (See him here in many big boards, can play end and also kick inside)
I like it, I would prefer Surtain I fear injury histories

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Merry Christmas!

Pretty damn good. We get alot better with this haul

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'd prefer Surtain but Farley or PS would be a major upgrade either way...Surrat is a freak! But do you think he'll be there in the 3rd?
Surratt is currently rated 75 on draft network's big board, our 3rd rd selection right now is at pick # 76. He could very well improve his stock throughout the pre-draft process.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Pretty damn good. We get alot better with this haul
Adding two high level DB's should greatly improve our secondary who has given up the most receiving TD's in the entire league. I wanted to target more anchor type defensive lineman who have the ability to play in any scheme. This will allow our linebackers to play more clean behind them.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Surratt is currently rated 75 on draft network's big board, our 3rd rd selection right now is at pick # 76. He could very well improve his stock throughout the pre-draft process.
Surratt should have a lot of upside. Set high school records as a QB and started his college career as QB. Once Mack Brown got back to UNC he moved Surratt to LB. This was just his 2nd season as a LB. His brother Sage is a heck of a WR who opted out this past season at Wake Forest

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Surratt should have a lot of upside. Set high school records as a QB and started his college career as QB. Once Mack Brown got back to UNC he moved Surratt to LB. This was just his 2nd season as a LB. His brother Sage is a heck of a WR who opted out this past season at Wake Forest
He is an ascending prospect due to lack of experience at the position. A perfect player to groom/develop to take over for Jaylon in another year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

Happy Holidays... Your mock draft just shows how much trouble we have on our defense. We need to improve at every position. I think Suratt won’t make it past the 2nd round. Farley could be a top 5 depending on his combine. He is 6’2 and if he runs under a 4’4 at the combine look out.

Hardline

Reaction score
I don't know much about Farley but pairing Surtain with ex Alabama CB teammate Travon Diggs sounds intriguing to me.
I love getting Moehrig in the second round because he actually will probably go late first round.

Hopefully we end up picking higher in the draft and our options open up.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Happy Holidays... Your mock draft just shows how much trouble we have on our defense. We need to improve at every position. I think Suratt won’t make it past the 2nd round. Farley could be a top 5 depending on his combine. He is 6’2 and if he runs under a 4’4 at the combine look out.

Happy Holidays!

-Surratt could very well rise and be a more 2nd rd player. Ohio State's Browning maybe more likely in that range.
-Don't agree about Farley. Okuda was the more finished product last yr, where Henderson tested real well at the combine, believe he was selected 9 by Jax, where Okuda went in the top 5. See a similar outcome with Surtain/Farley.
-Without a doubt, this team needs mass reinforcements for their defense on every level.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Happy Holidays!

-Surratt could very well rise and be a more 2nd rd player. Ohio State's Browning maybe more likely in that range.
-Don't agree about Farley. Okuda was the more finished product last yr, where Henderson tested real well at the combine, believe he was selected 9 by Jax, where Okuda went in the top 5. See a similar outcome with Surtain/Farley.
-Without a doubt, this team needs mass reinforcements for their defense on every level.
As crazy as it might be if we draft in the top 8 we might get to chose between Parsons, Farley, and Surtain. The offensive players seem to be rated the highest in this year’s draft. The problem is we need two of the three.

817Gill

Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

This would be heavenly. You hit every need in order from most to least important IMO and using that comp pick on a developmental T is money.

In a perfect world we get to trade back from our first pick so we can double dip at CB. Would love Farley first then double back for Wade and Moehrig at the top of round 2.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This would be heavenly. You hit every need in order from most to least important IMO and using that comp pick on a developmental T is money.

In a perfect world we get to trade back from our first pick so we can double dip at CB. Would love Farley first then double back for Wade and Moehrig at the top of round 2.
It would be nice to plug away needs, but as you know the draft can be unpredictable the majority of the time. It will depend who is available at the time of our selections and where they sit on the team's draft board.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
As crazy as it might be if we draft in the top 8 we might get to chose between Parsons, Farley, and Surtain. The offensive players seem to be rated the highest in this year’s draft. The problem is we need two of the three.
It's very possible to draft one of the corners and fill the starter need at linebacker sometime during day three. Right now, I think Bolton is the better player then Parsons, but has nowhere near the the upside potential. It's very similar to the Surtain/Farley discussion in my mind, low floor or high ceiling debate.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Merry Christmas!

Like you've been discussing with people in the thread, mark me down as another who thinks we will see Surratt get richer than our 3rd rounder.

I've also seen mocks featuring Hutchinson as high as late first.

Players all over the place, that's what happens when we mock... in December... in the year a lot of prospects didn't even play...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Like you've been discussing with people in the thread, mark me down as another who thinks we will see Surratt get richer than our 3rd rounder.

I've also seen mocks featuring Hutchinson as high as late first.

Players all over the place, that's what happens when we mock... in December... in the year a lot of prospects didn't even play...
Yes, very early as the off-season has even yet begun. Basing my picks on current big boards at this time, which will certainly change in the coming months leading up to the draft.

conner01

Reaction score
I think Surtain will go ahead of our. Him and Farley are close in terms of projected postion, but Surtain is widely considered the #1
Surtain is most nfl ready now
Farley has the highest ceiling
I think at 8 both will be there but we will see
Scouting them right is gonna be important and it’s not gonna be known for 3 years or so which is best