Xavien Howard

Flamma

Reaction score
Mods, I didn't see this thread in the fan zone because it doesn't belong there so I didn't check. Feel free to delete this post.

kskboys

Reaction score
Problem is, they Jerry Jones'd Byron, paying a good player like a great one. Byron is a good CB, but Howard is clearly better. It's not really that close, IMO.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Xavien will likely play for Miami at least this year and LIKE IT. I don't see how he has any leverage. Miami doesn't have to do anything.With all the uncertainty in the NFL I see no team offering a kings ransom for him and then they would also need to resign him/extend him to big money. Nobody wants to do that at this time. He should shut up and play under the deal he signed. As much as I would love to have him in Dallas, its just not conceivable.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Problem is, they Jerry Jones'd Byron, paying a good player like a great one. Byron is a good CB, but Howard is clearly better. It's not really that close, IMO.
to your point, we let Byron go because he wanted a Kings ransom. We simply wont do that nor should we. We cannot afford him.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
What I don't get is how his agent knew the details and didn't tell Howard they needed to get a better deal. Almost all players rely on the agent to get the max payoff because the NFLPA and the agent of course want the most money too.

I can understand Howard being confused but his agent should not have been, and he should not have done the deal.

Howard is at partial fault too not being more aware and having the ability to fire his agent for taking a bad deal too so he should honor it. Remember any team now knows he could flake out of new contract too and decide to hold out so that should make him somewhat less a desirable signing.

Flamma

Reaction score
What I don't get is how his agent knew the details and didn't tell Howard they needed to get a better deal. Almost all players rely on the agent to get the max payoff because the NFLPA and the agent of course want the most money too.

I can understand Howard being confused but his agent should not have been, and he should not have done the deal.

Howard is at partial fault too not being more aware and having the ability to fire his agent for taking a bad deal too so he should honor it. Remember any team now knows he could flake out of new contract too and decide to hold out so that should make him somewhat less a desirable signing.

At the time of his signing after the 2018 season, I don't see how that was a terrible contract. It was 5 years 75M, a hair under 40 million guaranteed. As I look closer at his contract I think I can take a guess at what his major malfunction is.

He's got 3 years left on his contract, is out of guaranteed money, is 28 years old, and can be cut at any time. He's worried he's not going to see the last year or two of his contract. Almost certainly not the last year. So he's attempting to get more right now, while he can.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
At the time of his signing after the 2018 season, I don't see how that was a terrible contract. It was 5 years 75M, a hair under 40 million guaranteed. As I look closer at his contract I think I can take a guess at what his major malfunction is.

He's got 3 years left on his contract, is out of guaranteed money, is 28 years old, and can be cut at any time. He's worried he's not going to see the last year or two of his contract. Almost certainly not the last year. So he's attempting to get more right now, while he can.
I remember hearing the news of his deal and thinking how did the Dolphins get him on that cheap of a deal for probably a top 3 CB in the NFL.

But whatevs, he isn't going to be able to get the maximum paid CB yearly amount every year.

This reminds me a little of La'veon Bell being so bullish on getting paid as highest paid in his position that he literally went out of the NFL a year then the contract he signed still wasn't what he was demanding in the first place. He lost a ton for really no reason.

Most teams are not like the Cowboys that always cave in and give the max contract in the NFL at the time of signing no matter what the holdout or injury situation is.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Open market for a Money 5 position is almost always gonna lead to over paying. Thats an advantage Jones had that Howard didnt

Flamma

Reaction score
I remember hearing the news of his deal and thinking how did the Dolphins get him on that cheap of a deal for probably a top 3 CB in the NFL.

But whatevs, he isn't going to be able to get the maximum paid CB yearly amount every year.

This reminds me a little of La'veon Bell being so bullish on getting paid as highest paid in his position that he literally went out of the NFL a year then the contract he signed still wasn't what he was demanding in the first place. He lost a ton for really no reason.

Most teams are not like the Cowboys that always cave in and give the max contract in the NFL at the time of signing no matter what the holdout or injury situation is.

I agree with you, that's why I said it wasn't a terrible deal.

My guess is that Byron won't be there after the 2022 season. Howard has to be there an extra season to make what Byron is making. Expressing his unhappiness may have hurt his chances. But if he kills it again this year I doubt they cut him.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score

He got that deal cause he had a couple of knee injuries, and the team talked him into the team friendly deal.

Then turned around and paid Byron the kings ransom, and when he outplayed Byron they said...oh well cool bro keep it up

kskboys

Reaction score

Google is your friend.

At the time of the deal, Howard's deal was a record setting deal, making him the highest paid CB in NFL history. I think you're misremembering this one.

kskboys

Reaction score
He got that deal cause he had a couple of knee injuries, and the team talked him into the team friendly deal.

Then turned around and paid Byron the kings ransom, and when he outplayed Byron they said...oh well cool bro keep it up
Team friendly? Highest contract of all time paid to a CB.