Video: Xavier Woods was a captain for the Cardinals game

Zordon

Reaction score
According to the Cowboys Break he was made a captain for the game a week after saying it's unrealistic to go hard every game.

Bucky was dumbfounded by this and said the entire culture of the DB room is broken and that Xavier being able to get away with his comments without being reprimanded has set a terrible precedent.

This whole episode is good as they discuss Cowboys culture, but particularly the beginning with Bucky. He seems disgusted with the team.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Bucky also brought up a good point about McCarthy trying to overcorrect his coaching and become a "player's coach" instead of a disciplinarian.

Somebody has got to be the bad cop.

blueblood70

Reaction score
did i miss the quote, what exactly did woods say and what was the reprimand?

blumayne38

Reaction score
According to the Cowboys Break he was made a captain for the game a week after saying it's unrealistic to go hard every game.

Bucky was dumbfounded by this and said the entire culture of the DB room is broken and that Xavier being able to get away with his comments without being reprimanded has set a terrible precedent.

This whole episode is good as they discuss Cowboys culture, but particularly the beginning with Bucky. He seems disgusted with the team.

Looks like If I show up to practice everyday I may be captain!!!! Just for participating!!

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
did i miss the quote, what exactly did woods say and what was the reprimand?
He said it's impossible for defenders to go 100% for 70 plays. But tbh it sounded more like a realistic observation than a personal belief for justifying going half speed. But that was my take. More like what you acknowledge among other NFL players, not something you mention to the fans or the media.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
What do captains really do other than stand in the middle of the field and shake the opposing players’ hands while smiling for the camera? One lucky one gets to call heads or tails.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He said it's impossible for defenders to go 100% for 70 plays. But tbh it sounded more like a realistic observation than a personal belief for justifying going half speed. But that was my take. More like what you acknowledge among other NFL players, not something you mention to the fans or the media.
oh right i remember that now i blew it off, i knew what he meant.

its like everyone piling on JSmith on that Hopkins play that he had no shot of every catching Hop, and hop beat his CB not Smith thats not smiths guy and so he only went half speed behind the play..so Now in two angles on threads here Jsmith is made fun of for not going full sprint to never catch up anyway.. what the friggin heck do fans expect , you make fun of guy who plays im guessing 90% of the defensive snaps and you expect him to hit the after burners to chase a Fast WR in full stride way head of you and about ZERO chance to catch him but exert unnecessary energy chasing the play?

this is what woods meant, sometimes you dont run full speed on all 70 plays that you are on the field for for reason beyond your control..it happens..

Fans are the issue around here , expectation are far and away out of control..

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
oh right i remember that now i blew it off, i knew what he meant.

its like everyone piling on JSmith on that Hopkins play that he had no shot of every catching Hop, and hop beat his CB not Smith thats not smiths guy and so he only went half speed behind the play..so Now in two angles on threads here Jsmith is made fun of for not going full sprint to never catch up anyway.. what the friggin heck do fans expect , you make fun of guy who plays im guessing 90% of the defensive snaps and you expect him to hit the after burners to chase a Fast WR in full stride way head of you and about ZERO chance to catch him but exert unnecessary energy chasing the play?

this is what woods meant, sometimes you dont run full speed on all 70 plays that you are on the field for for reason beyond your control..it happens..

Fans are the issue around here , expectation are far and away out of control..
That is probably the best summary for what that statement actually means in gametime. Not tired, "it" happens basically.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That is probably the best summary for what that statement actually means in gametime. Not tired, "it" happens basically.

its fact fans think the players all need to to gassers all game even if they are far out of plays and no matter how fast they ran they would never make it to help..theres 11 guys on the field for a reason and play sides of the field have that sides responsibility and most of the non play side have no shot to catch some of these plays.

if fans cant understand that , well its on them..

fivetwos

Reaction score
I knew what he meant at the time.

However, maybe be bright enough to know what a bad look that's going to be.

Maybe thats why they cant grasp Nolans defense.

Either way, Woods cant be gone fast enough.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What do captains really do other than stand in the middle of the field and shake the opposing players’ hands while smiling for the camera? One lucky one gets to call heads or tails.
Nothing, but it's the idea of being rewarded after that mess....regardless if he was misunderstood or not.

That's the culture in Dallas though. They probably wanted to coddle him and make him feel better.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Could Woods be a starting safety on another team in this entire league?
I think this is a legitimate question, yet not only is he a starter here, but also a team captain.
My RIP father, also a die hard Cowboy fan his entire life is rolling in his grave.