XBOX or PS2?

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
I just bought a PS2 but I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

I only like sports games like football, baseball, soccer and basketball.

Which system has the better sports games?

The reason why I picked the PS2 because it seems like they have more of a variety of sports games. Is that true?

And onething that turned me off about the XBOX is the controller thing looks big, I wonder if it's tough playing Madden on it.

I'm wondering if I should return the PS2 and pick up the XBOX

THANKS!

ChrisFul

Benched
Reaction score
Tenkamenin said:
I just bought a PS2 but I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

I only like sports games like football, baseball, soccer and basketball.

Which system has the better sports games?

The reason why I picked the PS2 because it seems like they have more of a variety of sports games. Is that true?

And onething that turned me off about the XBOX is the controller thing looks big, I wonder if it's tough playing Madden on it.

I'm wondering if I should return the PS2 and pick up the XBOX

THANKS!

For Sports games? You messed up. Xbox all the way.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
AceofSpades said:
Run back to the store before its too late. :eek:
Yea, you are playing with outdated technology. Performance wise there really isn't a comparison, imo. However, XBox is known for sports, car racing, and FPS. PS2 is really known for RPGs and Platformers.

Also, the S controller is real cool, I like it better then the ps2 controllers but I have big hands.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think there is a better game on the planet than "Halo" for the X-Box.

Just a magnificent game...

But of course it's a first-person-shooter as opposed to a sports game.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Yea, you are playing with outdated technology. Performance wise there really isn't a comparison, imo. However, XBox is known for sports, car racing, and FPS. PS2 is really known for RPGs and Platformers.

Also, the S controller is real cool, I like it better then the ps2 controllers but I have big hands.

Arent both platforms changing in the next year? ps3 and then a new xbox version? I thought I heard that at one point.. I could be remembering incorrectly though

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I don't think there is a better game on the planet than "Halo" for the X-Box.

Just a magnificent game...

But of course it's a first-person-shooter as opposed to a sports game.
So true, that game is pure genius! It is scary to think that Halo 2 suppose to surpass it in every way.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Arent both platforms changing in the next year? ps3 and then a new xbox version? I thought I heard that at one point.. I could be remembering incorrectly though
To the best of my knowledge nothing concrete has been stated, so far rumors but nothing official.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
To the best of my knowledge nothing concrete has been stated, so far rumors but nothing official.

I've been thinking about getting the xbox but didn't want to do it if it was just going to be replaced this year or next.

I am gathering from those on this board that they feel its a vastly better system for gameplay.. Obviously getting used to the controller would be tricky.. but no different than trying to get used to this game compared to madden.

I will chalk it up to not being used to this and the difference in keypad designation.. but espn seems to me to be a little more mechanical at least on the ps2 version...... but the graphics are very good.....

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
I've been thinking about getting the xbox but didn't want to do it if it was just going to be replaced this year or next.

I am gathering from those on this board that they feel its a vastly better system for gameplay.. Obviously getting used to the controller would be tricky.. but no different than trying to get used to this game compared to madden.

I will chalk it up to not being used to this and the difference in keypad designation.. but espn seems to me to be a little more mechanical at least on the ps2 version...... but the graphics are very good.....
Personally I wouldn't buy the Xbox for just one game. Now if you are looking for the best console for FPS (Halo 2 will change the world, lol), sports, superior graphics, and a hacker free online experience then it would be a worthy investment.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Personally I wouldn't buy the Xbox for just one game. Now if you are looking for the best console for FPS (Halo 2 will change the world, lol), sports, superior graphics, and a hacker free online experience then it would be a worthy investment.

Well, I wouldn't either... I do tend to play the sports games mostly from EA..

If I purchase xbox will I have to purchase a modem for the xbox or does it come as a package of some sort? and is there a subscription or anything of the sort for xbox live?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Well, I wouldn't either... I do tend to play the sports games mostly from EA..

If I purchase xbox will have to make purchase a modem for the xbox or does it come as a package of some sort? and is there a subscription or anything of the sort for xbox live?
I should have added that you will need a broadband connection and a XBL subscription (MRSP is the price of a game I think it is $50 bucks). However, I know several people who have been playing with the free XBL coupons or through XB connects since forever. Personally I think it is worth it minus EA but I will hold my final judgement about EA sports on the XBox until Madden is release because they completely dropped the ball on NCAA 2005. :mad:

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I have a PS2 and I find it to be average, but acceptable. I like my friend's XBOX better, but maybe that's just because you can only get Extreme Beach Volleyball on the XBOX. :p

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I guess it really doesn't make a difference to me which system specs are most updated. I've been playing video game consoles since the Atari 2600 so I can appreciate just about anythying. It's the games that I'm after.

Tenk, the big difference between the PS2 and Xbox is that EA Sports games work better on the PS2. EA Sports games are designed for the PS2 and then ported to the Xbox. That means the controller makes more sense (try using the Xbox trigger system for jukes and stiff arms, it sucks!), and the game has less tech problems (see NCAA 2005 on Xbox).

Honestly, if you're just going for sports games and you enjoy EA Sports the most, you're fine with the PS2. What should probably influence your decision the most is what other video games do you play. Most of those sports titles are basically the same on all platforms and designed for the more popular PS2 so you really don't get the Xbox technology advantage except for the case of a game like ESPN Football which is designed for the Xbox first and then ported to the PS2.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
I should have added that you will need a broadband connection and a XBL subscription (MRSP is the price of a game I think it is $50 bucks). However, I know several people who have been playing with the free XBL coupons or through XB connects since forever. Personally I think it is worth it minus EA but I will hold my final judgement about EA sports on the XBox until Madden is release because they completely dropped the ball on NCAA 2005. :mad:

okay one last question.. for now anyway.. does xbox require an additional memory card or does it have its own storage built in?

Rude

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
okay one last question.. for now anyway.. does xbox require an additional memory card or does it have its own storage built in?

I believe it has a Harddrive built into the system. So you dont need a memory card

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dayton_Cowboy said:
You can go that route, but it isn't necessary unless you're a MAJOR gamer. XBox comes with an internal hard drive. You'll probably have tons of memory to spare, but if you want to go the memory card route, check this--

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/memoryunit.htm

And for more details on the console itself, read this--

http://www.xbox.com/assets/en-us/HardwareManuals/Console_Ins_Manual.pdf

FYI: you'll need Adobe Acrobat to read the manual.

For all those Halo lovers out there! It's an excellent game, but for an RPGer like myself, Star Wars:Knights Of The Old Republic was unmatched. Great game for anyone who has never played it before.