XBox Red Rings of Death!

cowboyblue31

Reaction score
So guys, my xbox 360 gave me the deadly red rings of death this weekend. I was about to play Resident Evil 5, and what do you know, the darn thing dies on me!

Anyone have this problem? I am sending in for repairs. Hope I get it back soon!

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
happened to me last year and I got it back within a week of sending it off

*cue the "OMG GET A PS3 LULZ LOMG LOL" crowd*

cowboyblue31

Reaction score
xWraithx;3127031 said:

Cool, good to hear that. The Xbox site said three to four weeks, and some friends told me a month. Hope I get mine back quick.

I got Ghostbuster, Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space last weekend. Gamestop was having buy two used get one free, and I still have not had a chance to play Ghostbusters or Dead Space.

Also, my gamer friends are already telling me to get a PS3!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
My Red Ring of Death just happened on Thanksgiving.

I got a friend that fixed his and he is pretty savy when it comes to repairing electronics so im going to let him fix mine.

Mine said error E74.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
My experience so far from the MW2 thread.

'I will add that my box got e74 last sunday, i shipped it in monday, it was recieved on weds, and currently in repair status. if all goes well i should have it by the end of the week.'

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Mine just broke, and the warranty was expired. They renewed my warranty, and sent me a new Xbox after they received mine, didn't even fix my old one. It took about 9 days before I got the new one.

P.S. RE5 was very bleh =(. Then again, it's just RE4 with a few tweaks. I loved RE4 gameplay wise.. but RE4 was nothing like RE. They are becomming far more like some zombie action FPS mix than a Survival horror game they were created as.

Not a single aspect of RE4 or RE5 were scary.

kristie

Reaction score
my husband had that happen to him several months ago. he sent it in to get fixed & got it back a couple of months later.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;3127245 said:
Mine just broke, and the warranty was expired. They renewed my warranty, and sent me a new Xbox after they received mine, didn't even fix my old one. It took about 9 days before I got the new one.

P.S. RE5 was very bleh =(. Then again, it's just RE4 with a few tweaks. I loved RE4 gameplay wise.. but RE4 was nothing like RE. They are becomming far more like some zombie action FPS mix than a Survival horror game they were created as.

Not a single aspect of RE4 or RE5 were scary.

No, they sent you a refurb unit that is now somewhat more likely to e74 or redring than your previous unit. I like the xbox, but damn, there should not be this much trouble with the hardware 4 years after the damn thing launched.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I must be living a charmed life as far as my xbox goes. I get the red rings of death all the time. I just power it off and turn it back on and everything is fine. Its been happening for about 3 years now. I think the fan that I purchased that attaches to the back of the unit between the power chord and box has saved me from the over heating issue.

Well worth the $20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001COVHMS/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

Ren

Reaction score
I'm on my 4th 360 so, yes, i've had this problem :laugh2:

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
DIAF;3130374 said:
No, they sent you a refurb unit that is now somewhat more likely to e74 or redring than your previous unit. I like the xbox, but damn, there should not be this much trouble with the hardware 4 years after the damn thing launched.

Very likely, but considering i bought my Xbox the day it came out, and it just broke about 4 months ago (how many years has it been?), there were plenty of dents, nicks, and other odds and ends that are now new again =p

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Rampage;3127281 said:
x-crap strikes again

Meh, lost time is all it is. Not even that much. Is the hardware flawed for a lot of people, no doubt about it.

I had to return my 1st XBOX to the store a couple of days after I bought it because it wouldn't read discs. Replacement box went south about a year later and had to send it in for a couple of weeks. Sucked but better than having to purchase a replacement plan from BB or having to purchase a new system.

All those problems aside, XBOX Live was the main reason I went with XBOX and it is still miles better than anything I have seen from Sony.

cowboyblue31

Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;3130485 said:
Very likely, but considering i bought my Xbox the day it came out, and it just broke about 4 months ago (how many years has it been?), there were plenty of dents, nicks, and other odds and ends that are now new again =p

Did your refurb unit have the HDMI hookup?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Doomsday;3130446 said:
I must be living a charmed life as far as my xbox goes. I get the red rings of death all the time. I just power it off and turn it back on and everything is fine. Its been happening for about 3 years now. I think the fan that I purchased that attaches to the back of the unit between the power chord and box has saved me from the over heating issue.

Well worth the $20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001COVHMS/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

That's actually more likely the cause of your red rings than the system's savior.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
DIAF;3130374 said:

Microsoft does at times send out new units to replace those that come in for repair.

I have sent mine in twice, once it was replaced with a new (not refurbished) one, and the next time they sent the same one back. Both times took about 2 weeks total.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
xWraithx;3127031 said:

same here

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
My refurb was shipped out yesterday, hope I can get it tommorrow for some weekend gaming, if not I will definetely have it on Monday, which would be exactly 2 weeks since I shipped it.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that, Catch. Once you do the warranty is void forever.

CATCH17;3127047 said:
My Red Ring of Death just happened on Thanksgiving.

I got a friend that fixed his and he is pretty savy when it comes to repairing electronics so im going to let him fix mine.

Mine said error E74.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
I got my tracking number, wont be getting it till monday. too bad, its nut shriveling cold here.