(Yahoo/AP) NFLPA advises players about potential 2011 lockout

dback

Reaction score
NFLPA advises players about potential 2011 lockout

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (AP)—The head of the NFL Players Association is bracing players for a possible 2011 lockout.

Executive director DeMaurice Smith told reporters at Colts camp Monday that he is convinced owners will lock players out when the current labor deal expires after next season.

Smith made no demands for a new deal and expressed his willingness to discuss everything, including changes in the league’s disciplinary policy. The one caveat: He wants to know why owners backed out of the collective bargaining agreement.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
A lockout really wouldn't surprise me...but it would be a shame.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think fixing the rookie salaries would be a huge step forward. I also believe that long term guaranteed money is for the birds. No signing bonuses. Every year you play in, that year is guaranteed money. If you sign a 2 year $20M contract, then only $10M is guaranteed until you play in the first game of the second season. This also eliminates the lazy bum players who only play for contracts.

They want guaranteed money to protect their futures. To me? I say, "Hey if you want a safer job, then you're in the wrong business!" Besides, they get paid plenty of money due to the risks without needing to guarantee tons of extra money.

I don't see the soldiers in Iraq or Afganistan getting $10M a year and $30M guaranteed if they get hurt or killed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm hopful that something will get done. I don't see a lockout or strike being good for either side.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2888456 said:
I'm hopful that something will get done. I don't see a lockout or strike being good for either side.

I'm sure Jerry doesn't want Jerry World to be sitting empty either. No matter what happens, his mortgage statement will still show up every month!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;2888463 said:
I'm sure Jerry doesn't want Jerry World to be sitting empty either. No matter what happens, his mortgage statement will still show up every month!

True, I'm sure Jerry is one of many owners who do not want to see a work stoppage. I also know players can't make the big money they have grown accustom to sitting out. I do think something will get worked out before it comes to that.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really do not see the owners doing a lockout unless they feel they have no choice. BUT if they continue to refuse to show the books I think the Union will dig in its heels and there you go. Both sides frankly are being stupid. You have the richest and most prosperous professional league in the world and you guys want to mess it up- talk about DUMB. Owners could cut back on total revenue given to players if players will agree to have a rookie salary cap. There are places both sides can compromise but are they smart enough to do it?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's going to happen IMO. Just another reason to enjoy the next couple of years even if they aren't perfect. Even "disastrous" 9-7 seasons are better than no football.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If it's a strike shortened season, the Commanders will win another Superbowl. :laugh2:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Man that would really suck to see a stinking lock out. They better get their crap together and get a new deal in place so that kind of junk doesn't happen.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
nyc;2888454 said:
I think fixing the rookie salaries would be a huge step forward. I also believe that long term guaranteed money is for the birds. No signing bonuses. Every year you play in, that year is guaranteed money. If you sign a 2 year $20M contract, then only $10M is guaranteed until you play in the first game of the second season. This also eliminates the lazy bum players who only play for contracts.

They want guaranteed money to protect their futures. To me? I say, "Hey if you want a safer job, then you're in the wrong business!" Besides, they get paid plenty of money due to the risks without needing to guarantee tons of extra money.

I don't see the soldiers in Iraq or Afganistan getting $10M a year and $30M guaranteed if they get hurt or killed.

This I completely disagree with. The NFL is the only major sports league without a guaranteed contract and one of the reasons for a lack of continuity on teams. If players had guaranteed contracts owners would be more frugal in their attempts to secure the RIGHT player rather than tossing money around to guys like Haynesworth who decide to start playing when their up for a new contract. If Snyder had to guarantee Fat Albert his $100 million then he would have never even sniffed that kind of money. Some would argue that performance clauses would be the answer. The only problem with that is that you've taken a team player and made him an individual player. I say guarantee them and the players who deserve the contracts (Ware, Peterson, Ward) get what they deserve and the pretenders (Haynesworth, Walker, Hall) also get what they are worth.

I may be in the minority, but I think the salary cap is good for the game. Without it the likes of Tampa Bay, or Seattle never would gave even sniffed Super Bowl appearances. I think it's good for the competitive spirit of the game. Something definitely needs to be done with rookie salaries, though. There's no way busted #1 draft pick should be able to cripple a team against the salary cap. The draft is too much of a gamble for that type of junk.

As far as the soldiers' reference, the same argument could be made about many professions. Teachers, police officers, firemen. The fact is if any of those people could be in the entertainment business, they would. If for nothing more than lucrative financial impact. Unfortunately, the same people that complain about the injustice help feed the machine. What was the last teacher's jersey you or I ever bought? Ever go out to sports bars and pimp your local fire department? Yet most of us (myself included) would drop $25.00 for a baseball cap with a simple "D" on the front of it. It's the entertainment business. Reserved for the elite of the elite. Not just anyone can sing, act, play football, or golf on a world class level. That's why everyone knows Tiger and very few know Mrs. Brooks. As long as we (collectively) demand to be entertained, we (collectively) will line their pockets. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Wow that went on a little longer than I intended. :laugh2:

skinsscalper

Reaction score
burmafrd;2888481 said:
I really do not see the owners doing a lockout unless they feel they have no choice. BUT if they continue to refuse to show the books I think the Union will dig in its heels and there you go. Both sides frankly are being stupid. You have the richest and most prosperous professional league in the world and you guys want to mess it up- talk about DUMB. Owners could cut back on total revenue given to players if players will agree to have a rookie salary cap. There are places both sides can compromise but are they smart enough to do it?

The bolded part could be done if all the owners agreed to stick to their guns and just tell the players and their agents "Rookie contracts are out of control we will no longer pay that ridiculous amount of money to an un-proven rookie. If you and your client don't like it, then enjoy your CFL career". The problem is, one bad apple owner (Hint: Dan Snyder) falls out of the ranks, and the entire thing is blown.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2888500 said:
This I completely disagree with. The NFL is the only major sports league without a guaranteed contract and one of the reasons for a lack of continuity on teams. If players had guaranteed contracts owners would be more frugal in their attempts to secure the RIGHT player rather than tossing money around to guys like Haynesworth who decide to start playing when their up for a new contract. If Snyder had to guarantee Fat Albert his $100 million then he would have never even sniffed that kind of money. Some would argue that performance clauses would be the answer. The only problem with that is that you've taken a team player and made him an individual player. I say guarantee them and the players who deserve the contracts (Ware, Peterson, Ward) get what they deserve and the pretenders (Haynesworth, Walker, Hall) also get what they are worth.
This doesn't make sense. First off, tossing around money because of not having guaranteed contracts would just cause you to lose the player. If you offer a player some stupid contract, what happens when you have to pay him? Nothing, you're forced to cut him because you can't afford him. He moves on to the next team. It's the guaranteed money that is causing the issues that exist now. You pay a guy stupid amounts of money, and then he goes on hiatus because "he's got his money".

I wonder how the Raiders are feeling about JaMarcus Russell and his $30M in guarantees right about now. He doesn't look anything like a $30M QB.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
nyc;2888510 said:
This doesn't make sense. First off, tossing around money because of not having guaranteed contracts would just cause you to lose the player. If you offer a player some stupid contract, what happens when you have to pay him? Nothing, you're forced to cut him because you can't afford him. He moves on to the next team. It's the guaranteed money that is causing the issues that exist now. You pay a guy stupid amounts of money, and then he goes on hiatus because "he's got his money".

I wonder how the Raiders are feeling about JaMarcus Russell and his $30M in guarantees right about now. He doesn't look anything like a $30M QB.

Which is exactly my point. Owners would be a lot more careful about who they gave their money to. Ware will never be the type of player that plays strictly for a contract, so it's safe to sign him to a guaranteed deal. Same goes with guys like Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Jim Brown, Micheal Irvin. There could also be clauses in the contract to pick up the option on more years (just like baseball). Don't get me wrong they all want to be paid, but it's not THE one single motivation with players like that. If Jones had to guarantee Roy Williams' (Safety) or Zach Thomas' contracts he never would have drawn them up. Same with Snyder, and Haynesworth, and Hall. Neither one of them would have sniffed the inflated contracts that they just signed if it was a guaranteed deal. They would have been paid comensurate to what they've brought to the table throughout their careers rather than cashing in because they played lights out in the final year of their deal.

Jamarcus Russell is a symptom of a whole other problem in the NFL. Rookie contracts. I'd almost bet my house that the owners will not touch a new CBA that doesn't have some type of rookie contract cap.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2888540 said:
Which is exactly my point. Owners would be a lot more careful about who they gave their money to. Ware will never be the type of player that plays strictly for a contract, so it's safe to sign him to a guaranteed deal. Same goes with guys like Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Jim Brown, Micheal Irvin. There could also be clauses in the contract to pick up the option on more years (just like baseball). Don't get me wrong they all want to be paid, but it's not THE one single motivation with players like that. If Jones had to guarantee Roy Williams' (Safety) or Zach Thomas' contracts he never would have drawn them up. Same with Snyder, and Haynesworth, and Hall. Neither one of them would have sniffed the inflated contracts that they just signed if it was a guaranteed deal. They would have been paid comensurate to what they've brought to the table throughout their careers rather than cashing in because they played lights out in the final year of their deal.

Jamarcus Russell is a symptom of a whole other problem in the NFL. Rookie contracts. I'd almost bet my house that the owners will not touch a new CBA that doesn't have some type of rookie contract cap.

JaMarcus Russell is part of the same problem. Guaranteed contracts. Rookie salary caps is just another part of it with him. What I don't understand is why you say, Ware can have a guaranteed contract, but others shouldn't. You can't have it both ways. Either you have guaranteed contracts or you don't.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
nyc;2888546 said:
JaMarcus Russell is part of the same problem. Guaranteed contracts. Rookie salary caps is just another part of it with him. What I don't understand is why you say, Ware can have a guaranteed contract, but others shouldn't. You can't have it both ways. Either you have guaranteed contracts or you don't.

I'm not saying ONLY Ware gets a guaranteed contract. All of them get guaranteed contracts and eliminate the signing bonus. What I'm saying is NO ONE would give Haynesworth the SAME guaranteed money that they'd give Ware. If they have to guarantee all contracts then a lot less of them would look like Monopoly money. It's not rocket surgery.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Guaranteed money comes in the form of these large signing bonus that is cash in hand to the players. It is pro rated on the contract for cap reasons but the player getting the 15 or 41 mill signing bonus for instance that Haynesworth got that is cash in hand

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Folks fail to realize that guaranteed,no matter how much it seems like, is small compared to sports where all contracts - every ounce of them - are guaranteed.

NFL owners have it really good.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2888596 said:
Folks fail to realize that guaranteed,no matter how much it seems like, is small compared to sports where all contracts - every ounce of them - are guaranteed.

NFL owners have it really good.

Other sports != Football. So you point is moot! :laugh2:

anyhow, if they have it good, why are there rumors of a lockout?

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2888581 said:
The Guaranteed money comes in the form of these large signing bonus that is cash in hand to the players. It is pro rated on the contract for cap reasons but the player getting the 15 or 41 mill signing bonus for instance that Haynesworth got that is cash in hand

Correct. But, if the contract was guaranteed and the signing bonus was removed his deal would look more like 6 years 60 million. I'm not sure even Danny would guarantee him that 60 million considering he's decided to "show up" and be dominant for a grand total one year of his career. Which brings us back to my point. The players that are WORTH that kind of money will get it. The "contract players" will earn what an owner deems he's worth. Many owners would NEVER give a huge amount of guaranteed money to a guy that finally "showed up" once it was time for him to sign a new contract if they knew they had to guarantee it. Currently, they can lock these guys up because they know that they can dump them and their salary with a lot less impact on their cap if they know they don't have to guarantee any of the money (sans the signing bonus).