Yahoo Sports: Day 1 Winners and Losers (Commanders)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
I think Portis and Moss made the pick. Funny thing to me is that he always played like Lavar. Basically... in moments. Grrrr...

Looking at the draft choices the Cowboys have made THIS year, seems like their value isnt really worth that much outside of the first round. Then again they traded down for Jones in past years.
ROFL.
Seriously, the Skins should just avoid the draft and take a vacation after the first 3 days of free agency when they get through overpaying for guys.

Gfunk

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Gfunk, I am no Commanders fan, but I think that Snyder has done an amazing job of handling FA contracts. No one in the NFL does it as well as he does. He has assembled what is one of the league's top coaching staffs.

All of that being said, it seems impossible in today's salary capped NFL to win without a lot of good young talent on a team. There is not enough money to pay quality FA veterans at every position. The draft is how teams stockpile young and inexpensive talent to support the selected FA players. The Commanders seem determined to prove that whole philosophy wrong. I don't believe they can do it, but we all get to see the results.
notice how your run defense went to **** last season when you started all your rookies half way through the season? we never have to worry about that

we target players, either via free agency or the draft, and we get our player

we can afford to do it, so I see no problem with ignoring the draft, the draft is just a gamble anyways... free agents are proven

we had no holes in our team (we had potential starters for OLB before the draft), young depth at a number of positions (look how much the Giants love our LBs, we obviously develop young talent well)... so we targetted the player we wanted and got him

I don't believe in this "wait till a player you want falls to you" bull****, you want someone, you go get him

not like we can't just trade to get a second next season if it's really that serious

we have a bunch of picks today, do well with UDFAs, and already signed some depth... I have no worries when it comes to quality depth behind our starters

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Gfunk said:
notice how your run defense went to **** last season when you started all your rookies half way through the season? we never have to worry about that

You should notice this year that those excellent rookies have learned the ropes and are starting to dominate... and they're doing it for cheap wages because they're homegrown talent... not overpaid free agents. They'll be reasonably priced for the first few years of their rookie contracts.

And no, you never have to worry about that either, lol.

Gfunk said:
Gfunk said:

we can afford to do it, so I see no problem with ignoring the draft, the draft is just a gamble anyways... free agents are proven

we had no holes in our team (we had potential starters for OLB before the draft), young depth at a number of positions (look how much the Giants love our LBs, we obviously develop young talent well)... so we targetted the player we wanted and got him

I don't believe in this "wait till a player you want falls to you" bull****, you want someone, you go get him

not like we can't just trade to get a second next season if it's really that serious

we have a bunch of picks today, do well with UDFAs, and already signed some depth... I have no worries when it comes to quality depth behind our starters
Spin.

Every draft day is a dissapointment to Commander fans... what else are you going to say? "We can't draft for s***?" "We never have any homegrown talent?" LOL, of course not.

sacase

Reaction score
I was reading one draft report that said Mcintosh was a second day pick. LOL

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
This is such an rehashed topic, one that was no more valid before than it is now.

We have plenty of players we've drafted or signed as UDFA that are contributors, but I guess this fact gets lost in the rampant, ignorant Skins bashing that goes on around here.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Gfunk said:

Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl Champs

19 of 22 starters from that team were drafted by the pittsburgh steelers. Commanders are following the Al Davis school of Making a Dominate team thru FA.

Reaction score
jrumann59 said:
Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl Champs

19 of 22 starters from that team were drafted by the pittsburgh steelers. Commanders are following the Al Davis school of Making a Dominate team thru FA.

Too bad you cant say the same about the 3 time superbowl champion New England Patriots.