Yahoo to Stream NFL Regular Season Game Live

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Looks like the big boys of the internet are getting into the live online streaming gig. It's only for one of the London games, so it'll be a lot earlier than most games are broadcast on Sundays, but I wonder if this will become a thing for the future.

Apparently Yahoo is paying $10 million for the rights...to stream one game...between Jacksonville and Buffalo.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/yahoo-wins-rights-stream-first-nfl-regular-season-game.html

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It's definitely going to become a thing in the future.

Rogah

Reaction score
It's definitely going to become a thing in the future.
We may see it every once in a while, but I can't imagine DirecTV will be terribly happy with losing a lot of regular season games from their package.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
We may see it every once in a while, but I can't imagine DirecTV will be terribly happy with losing a lot of regular season games from their package.

DirecTV only has a say in the matter as long as their contract runs, and who knows how much say they actually have.

If the NFL launched its own streaming subscription they'd be able to make a ton of money. DTV had 2M Sunday Ticket subs in 2013 out of 20M customers.

If the NFL launched a streaming subscription they could undoubtedly increase on that 2M subs. Broaden the target from like 6% of the nation to just about everyone.

They could sell their own package for $150/season and they'd only need 10M subs to equal their average annual pull from DTV. Then they would pull ridiculous ad revenue by selling space within the platform. Ad space for a weekly hit count of up to 10M views? Forget about it.

It's only a matter of time, IMO. The NFL can reach a wider audience at a cheaper price point. Imagine if they could get 20M subscriptions, that'd be $3B before ad revenue.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Only two million? I bet at least half of those (if not more) are bars too. They could definitely increase that, but quintupling it to 10 million might be questionable. At least early on.

Rogah

Reaction score
DirecTV only has a say in the matter as long as their contract runs, and who knows how much say they actually have.
DirecTV pays $1.5 billion annually and has a deal through 2022.
They could sell their own package for $150/season and they'd only need 10M subs to equal their average annual pull from DTV. Then they would pull ridiculous ad revenue by selling space within the platform. Ad space for a weekly hit count of up to 10M views? Forget about it.
You're dreaming if you think 10 million people are going to do something that only 2 million people do right now.

Streaming sucks. I'm one of the 2 million with DTV Sunday Ticket but I wouldn't buy a package that was exclusively streaming.
It's only a matter of time, IMO. The NFL can reach a wider audience at a cheaper price point. Imagine if they could get 20M subscriptions, that'd be $3B before ad revenue.
You think 1 out of every 20 people in this country are going to lay $150 to the NFL to stream games?

Really???

DanteEXT

Reaction score

If the NFL launched its own streaming subscription they'd be able to make a ton of money. DTV had 2M Sunday Ticket subs in 2013 out of 20M customers.

It's info like that that brings a smile to my face. I hear/read people all the time say that it's Sunday Ticket keeping DirecTV afloat and that if they lost the exclusive they'd see a mass exodus of subscribers and be out of business.

If the NFL launched a streaming subscription they could undoubtedly increase on that 2M subs. Broaden the target from like 6% of the nation to just about everyone.

Though I think they could increase the Sunday Ticket subscription numbers if it wasn't exclusive to DirecTV and an internet only option is intriguing I don't know they'd get that many. For a lot of people the red zone is probably a preferred option, especially if they already live in their teams home market.

Got a friend who thinks $99 is the sweet spot for streaming pricing. Yeah, maybe for his wallet. I honestly think the NFL values the product at more than $150. That may be the minimum but I would expect closer to $200, maybe more, for a streaming option if they did it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
DirecTV pays $1.5 billion annually and has a deal through 2022.
You're dreaming if you think 10 million people are going to do something that only 2 million people do right now.

Only 20 million people have DirecTV. It's not like only 2 million people are choosing to sign up for ST when the entire country has DirecTV.

Streaming sucks. I'm one of the 2 million with DTV Sunday Ticket but I wouldn't buy a package that was exclusively streaming.
You think 1 out of every 20 people in this country are going to lay $150 to the NFL to stream games?

Really???

Not sure why you say streaming sucks. I don't think 10 million subscribers is unfathomable. Netflix has 3X that amount. Clearly there's a market for streaming.

Rogah

Reaction score
Only 20 million people have DirecTV. It's not like only 2 million people are choosing to sign up for ST when the entire country has DirecTV.
But most of those 2 million are people like me: they only have DirecTV in the first place to have the NFL package. Only 20 million people have DirecTV but everyone has either the capability to get it, or the capability to buy DirecTV's Sunday Ticket streaming service. There aren't 18 million people out there desperate to get Sunday Ticket who don't already have it.
Not sure why you say streaming sucks. I don't think 10 million subscribers is unfathomable. Netflix has 3X that amount. Clearly there's a market for streaming.
Streaming sucks, especially for live events.

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
It's info like that that brings a smile to my face. I hear/read people all the time say that it's Sunday Ticket keeping DirecTV afloat and that if they lost the exclusive they'd see a mass exodus of subscribers and be out of business.

Though I think they could increase the Sunday Ticket subscription numbers if it wasn't exclusive to DirecTV and an internet only option is intriguing I don't know they'd get that many. For a lot of people the red zone is probably a preferred option, especially if they already live in their teams home market.

Got a friend who thinks $99 is the sweet spot for streaming pricing. Yeah, maybe for his wallet. I honestly think the NFL values the product at more than $150. That may be the minimum but I would expect closer to $200, maybe more, for a streaming option if they did it.

They offer a live streaming service for fans outside of the USA on nfl.com. The price is like ~$230 or something like that.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
But most of those 2 million are people like me: they only have DirecTV in the first place to have the NFL package. Only 20 million people have DirecTV but everyone has either the capability to get it, or the capability to buy DirecTV's Sunday Ticket streaming service. There aren't 18 million people out there desperate to get Sunday Ticket who don't already have it.
Streaming sucks, especially for live events.

There are people who have DTV only because of Sunday ticket but there are also people who don't want to unbundle their ISP/Cable package, pay more for both, and then have to shell out the current DTV price for ST.

If you think that there would be many more subs for such a streaming service, you're nuts.

erod

Reaction score
I don't see this taking hold. If the games aren't on TV for "free", the vast majority of people simply won't watch the NFL anymore.

The technology of the future that we'll really use isn't even here yet.

Garrettop

Reaction score
I have DTV and technically a ST sub for this season, but that's because they dumped it in my lap for free + a price reduction on my monthly rate when I threatened to leave after the 1st year promo pricing period was over. Can't even assume they are collecting for all those subs, or that there isn't a relation between those subs and customers paying for DTV more broadly. I'll still prob jump ship at the end of this year unless they do a similar maneuver.

I would not mind paying up to 99$ a year to guarantee all Cowboys games via HQ streaming service, if I were in an area with good highspeed internet, vs having to deal with DTV and/or paying for games I'm not going to watch.

Rogah

Reaction score
There are people who have DTV only because of Sunday ticket but there are also people who don't want to unbundle their ISP/Cable package, pay more for both, and then have to shell out the current DTV price for ST.
So they're too cheap to unbundle a cable/internet package but you think they're going to shell out $150 for streaming NFL? Gimme a break.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
So they're too cheap to unbundle a cable/internet package but you think they're going to shell out $150 for streaming NFL? Gimme a break.

Why would they have to be cheap?

You pay more for internet, and more for cable, AND THEN you pay for the Sunday Ticket package. Save just $12/month with a bundle and you've paid for the streaming service when you'd have to pay for the package by unbundling.

Not that it even matters, because they could set the price at whatever they wanted and the lower the price they set, they more people who would be enticed to by it. The more subscribers they have, the greater their ad revenue.

If you don't think it will go to a streaming service, that's fine. There's simply no way anyone can look at the rise of streaming, project the availability of bandwidth 6 or 8 years into the future, and then think that it is not possible.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This wont happen for a long time.
it is in the contracts for network tv that the nfl wont stream or air anything that conflicts with what networks air.
They are not going to give up the network contracts. That is why this one game will be early on sunday before other games on networks start.

I use game rewind and they cant run that service for games already aired, while other games air on network or cable.
Like on mondays the service shuts down at 7pm central, and doesnt start up until x hours after the last MNF game has finished.
If I want to watch a game on the service I start it before 7pm and then I can watch that one game during the shutdown period.
Lately I have been watching all the SB's in the archive, but they strangely dont have them all and are missing many.