News: Yahoo: Vince Young, Michael Sam will work out at NFL's first veteran combine

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
The next time Young can read a defense will be his first time.
I am not sure where you are going with this but I don't buy he doesn't read defenses. He can throw and has had plenty of success in the league. Hell he is still better than Weeden or any other scrub that we put behind Romo.

The fact remains that certain QBs have a short hook, it is either pro bowl or no bowl. While others hang around long after they lose the ability to help any team they play for win.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Maybe Young has been a cancer every he has been. Wierd there are no stories about it but maybe he just is not coachable or something.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not sure where you are going with this but I don't buy he doesn't read defenses. He can throw and has had plenty of success in the league.
AD I just think he is over rated and in a pass first league you have a liability at QB if VY is in there that's all.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
My opinion might change when I see the list of invitees, but right now I'd be surprised if more than 4 or 5 make any teams final 53. But the upside is a bunch could get invited to training camps.
That is exactly what this combine is for. It is a chance for guys to just get seen and maybe get another shot at a roster. If just one guy does, I think this event will have served its purpose.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Vince Young, Michael Sam will work out at NFL's first veteran combine
By Frank Schwab February 27, 2015 12:28 PM Shutdown Corner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...at-nfl-s-first-veteran-combine-172849910.html

Michael Sam's Twitter account is still @MichaelSamNFL. He hasn't been employed by the NFL since late October.

But Sam hasn't given up. He has been accepted to participate in the first NFL veteran combine on March 22 in Arizona. That news was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Vince Young will reportedly be there too. The former University of Texas quarterback has signed up to participate, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said. Young will turn 32 in May and hasn't played in an NFL regular-season game since 2011 with the Philadelphia Eagles.

It's a combine that will be similar to the college one, with position drills and physical tests, for NFL veterans who are free agents. The Associated Press reported earlier this year that about 100 players were expected to be invited.St. Louis Rams last year. He was cut at the end of a fairly productive preseason, and the Rams didn't sign him to their practice squad. The Dallas Cowboys signed him to their practice squad but cut him on Oct. 21.

Sam has signed up to be on "Dancing with the Stars," but the NFL door isn't closed for him. It's not going to be easy for him though. Any team could have signed him since the Cowboys cut him, but that hasn't happened. Maybe a good workout will help him. An underwhelming performance at the college combine a year ago probably negatively affected his draft stock. He is viewed as not big enough to be an NFL defensive end and not explosive athletically enough to overcome that or transition to outside linebacker. Maybe he could change what the NFL thinks of him with a great veteran combine.

It'll be tougher for Young to change perceptions at the veteran combine. The NFL knows him well, as the third overall pick of the 2006 draft. Since he was with the Eagles, the Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns have given him chances and he hasn't stuck. There are many NFL teams who need help at quarterback and haven't signed Young. Maybe a strong performance at the veteran combine can help him, because his NFL career seems dead at this point.

The veteran combine was created not only as an efficient way for NFL teams to work out free agents, but for former NFL players who still want a shot in the league. It will be up to invitees like Young and Sam to take advantage.

If someone hire Young he might want to thow a HUGE PAR-TAY! I hope he half the monies to pull it off. But with a wonderlunk score as high as he half he should half no trouble finding out how.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Vince Young, Michael Sam will work out at NFL's first veteran combine
By Frank Schwab February 27, 2015 12:28 PM Shutdown Corner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...at-nfl-s-first-veteran-combine-172849910.html

Michael Sam's Twitter account is still @MichaelSamNFL. He hasn't been employed by the NFL since late October.

But Sam hasn't given up. He has been accepted to participate in the first NFL veteran combine on March 22 in Arizona. That news was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Vince Young will reportedly be there too. The former University of Texas quarterback has signed up to participate, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said. Young will turn 32 in May and hasn't played in an NFL regular-season game since 2011 with the Philadelphia Eagles.

It's a combine that will be similar to the college one, with position drills and physical tests, for NFL veterans who are free agents. The Associated Press reported earlier this year that about 100 players were expected to be invited.St. Louis Rams last year. He was cut at the end of a fairly productive preseason, and the Rams didn't sign him to their practice squad. The Dallas Cowboys signed him to their practice squad but cut him on Oct. 21.

Sam has signed up to be on "Dancing with the Stars," but the NFL door isn't closed for him. It's not going to be easy for him though. Any team could have signed him since the Cowboys cut him, but that hasn't happened. Maybe a good workout will help him. An underwhelming performance at the college combine a year ago probably negatively affected his draft stock. He is viewed as not big enough to be an NFL defensive end and not explosive athletically enough to overcome that or transition to outside linebacker. Maybe he could change what the NFL thinks of him with a great veteran combine.

It'll be tougher for Young to change perceptions at the veteran combine. The NFL knows him well, as the third overall pick of the 2006 draft. Since he was with the Eagles, the Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns have given him chances and he hasn't stuck. There are many NFL teams who need help at quarterback and haven't signed Young. Maybe a strong performance at the veteran combine can help him, because his NFL career seems dead at this point.

The veteran combine was created not only as an efficient way for NFL teams to work out free agents, but for former NFL players who still want a shot in the league. It will be up to invitees like Young and Sam to take advantage.

As for Sam, his 15 mintues of fame half gone on forever. I hope he win the Dancing with the Stars contest so he can be a hollywood person and leave football playing to the truly talented players.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Now i feels bad about disperaging Young and Sam.
They half the optimism and are willing take take criticisms from armchair athletes like me. At least they role out of bed to try to do better.
Ah, now I feels better.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I don't see this as a bad thing in any way at all. If these guys continued to put in the work without being on a roster my hats off to them.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Will this be televised? I would definitely watch this. I guess we'll see a lot of guys from the CFL and arena leagues trying out (although I wouldn't now how that would work if the player is already under contract)?

Is there a roster of invitees somewhere? I wonder what Pat White is up to these days...