Yahoo's Worst FA Signings of All Time: Just Commanders...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Stellar work by our fellow NFC Easter... Four in the Top 10 and a total of seven of the Top 20... THAT is dominance... ;)

Obviously an opinion piece, but Jerry didn't show up in the list...

1. DT Albert Haynesworth – Some people argue that Haynesworth deserves a category all to himself for his slothful waste of a seven-year, $100 million contract. Haynesworth signed the deal in 2009 and was out of Washington before the start of the 2011 season. He was out of football after that season. He didn't get all the money, but he got way more than he ever deserved, spending most of the money on boats and legal settlements.

5. CB Deion Sanders – Sanders' career burned so bright that he not only appears on the top free-agent signings list twice, he's also the only guy to make both lists. In 2000, Sanders signed a seven-year, $56 million contract with Washington (a team that makes regular appearances on this list). After one season of mediocre play and a baseball career that also fizzled out, Sanders quietly retired from the Commanders following a settlement that required him to return $2.5 million of his $8 million signing bonus. Money for nothing.
[More: Sources say Tony Gonzalez will return to Falcons for right price]

6. DE Bruce Smith – At age 37 and desperately needing a place to finish his chase of the all-time sack record, Smith joined Sanders in grabbing a chunk of Dan Snyder's money in Washington. Smith got a five-year, $23.5 million contract, including a $4.25 million signing bonus. He played four years and his stats weren't all that awful (29 sacks), but his play was so uninspired that it was like watching a metronome counting off time (or in this case, sacks) until Smith was done. He finished his career with 200 sacks, just ahead of Reggie White's 198.

10. DB Adam Archuleta – After five pretty mediocre seasons in St. Louis, Washington (that's four appearances in the top 10), thought enough of Archuleta to give him a seven-year, $35 million contract. That was despite the fact that Washington had this guy named Ryan Clark at the same position. Like so many flops, Archuleta fell hard and fast, lasting only one season with the Commanders.

12. LB Jeremiah Trotter – The failures of Bruce Smith and Deion Sanders never even made Daniel Snyder flinch in 2002 when he gave Trotter – a linebacker who couldn't run anymore – a seven-year, $36 million deal. Two years later … you know the story.

17. QB Jeff George – Aside from a nice 10-game run with Minnesota in 1999, anybody who spent much time or energy on George was going to get little in return despite his immense talent (he was the No. 1 overall pick in 1990 for a reason). In 2000 with Washington (where have you seen those words put together before?), George not only took up the Commanders' time and energy, he took a four-year, $18 million contract as well.

18. DT Dana Stubblefield – The Commanders illustrated generosity before Dan Snyder took over in 1999. In 1998, Stubblefield left San Francisco after getting 15 sacks in '97. From 1998 to 2000, Stubblefield had seven sacks with the Commanders after the team signed him to a six-year, $36 million contract.

Complete List​

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks, trickblue. I enjoyed that.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hopefully not. Hopefully the team regresses this year and then next year doesn't do anything either and Danny will hopefully get really antsy and go right back to his old ways.

That would be awesome.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;5021138 said:
Hopefully not. Hopefully the team regresses this year and then next year doesn't do anything either and Danny will hopefully get really antsy and go right back to his old ways.

That would be awesome.

I was just listening to 106.7 here in DC. They played a game -- What Would Vinny Do?

Definitely would have singed Mike Wallace and traded the farm for Darrell Revis...

Hoods

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;5020616 said:
Thank God that era is over.

RG3 wasn't cheap. Pray he fully recovers and continues to be effective.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
Hoods;5022374 said:
RG3 wasn't cheap. Pray he fully recovers and continues to be effective.

yeah...you're not whistling dixie on that one either...

Although as Snyderatto faced a long slow painful death, a new era dawns for the Cowboys...

al-davis.jpg

:D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Sonny#9;5023474 said:
Well, there's a lock-tight argument... :rolleyes:

No different than the argument that the cowboys will continue to suck cuz Jerry Jones is here. And I agree with that one too.

SkinsFan82

Reaction score
Rack Bauer;5023990 said:
No different than the argument that the cowboys will continue to suck cuz Jerry Jones is here. And I agree with that one too.

In fairness, it appears that Danny has honestly changed and taken a step back, while Jerry has assured everyone he's still running the show and always will be. I'm not saying he's a better owner than Jerry, just that as of this very moment one appears to have realized he might not know best when it comes to picking players.

Time will tell.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
SkinsFan82;5024001 said:
In fairness, it appears that Danny has honestly changed and taken a step back, while Jerry has assured everyone he's still running the show and always will be. I'm not saying he's a better owner than Jerry, just that as of this very moment one appears to have realized he might not know best when it comes to picking players.

Time will tell.

I wonder who had the final call in allowing them to play on that atrocity of a field when Bob went rgknee?

Danny better get him on the phone for an explanation.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
Vanilla2;5024149 said:
I wonder who had the final call in allowing them to play on that atrocity of a field when Bob went rgknee?

Really? It was Shanahan...I didn't think there was any doubt about that...

SkinsFan82

Reaction score
Vanilla2;5024149 said:

Yeah, I'd throw blame for the field at the feet of Bruce Allen and the decision not to pull RG3 when they should have on Shanahan. They really have no excuse for either of those, they messed up. In that situation it would have kind of been nice for Danny to go a little Jerry Jones and run down to the sideline. ;)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
SkinsFan82;5024001 said:

Time will tell.

Doesn't matter. Both owners suck. Arguing "who is better" is like arguing which turd smells worse, the donkey's or the burro's.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
Rack Bauer;5025416 said:
Doesn't matter. Both owners suck. Arguing "who is better" is like arguing which turd smells worse, the donkey's or the burro's.

You're absolutely right, however only one is still playing GM...