Yakuza Rich: Midseason Grades

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Midseason Grades
by Yakuza Rich
http://yakuzarich.blogspot.com

Since Dallas is at the halfway mark, here’s my team grades:

QUARTERBACK (Romo, B. Johnson)

Romo and Johnson have combined for a 92.6 QB rating. Romo has seemed a tad bit off in the Packers and Bengals games this year, but he hasn’t had that colossally horrible game this year and has a 103.5 QB rating in his own right. He still turns the ball over too often. Johnson is sporting a 60.5 QB rating and was horrific in the Tampa game.

GRADE: B-

TAILBACKS (Barber, F. Jones, Choice)

Barber and Jones have been the main tailbacks. Barber has been pretty steady although the blocking hasn’t always been there for him. Felix has been extremely explosive as a runner, but hasn’t done much as a receiver. Reminds me a bit of Tony Dorsett with his ability to cut really hard when running full speed. Combined he and Jones have averaged 4.8 yards per carry. Choice has been a pretty good special teams player.

GRADE: B+

FULLBACK (D. Anderson)

Anderson has been hurt and has been so-so when healthy. Dallas has been using a lot of 2 TE sets in place of a fullback.

GRADE: Incomplete

WIDE RECEIVERS (Owens, Crayton, Roy E. Williams, Austin, Hurd, Stanback)

Owens has struggled against double coverage this year and the fears of Crayton’s inability to get separation were realized and it forced Jerry to go out and get Roy Williams. Miles Austin started to show some promise after coming back from a knee injury, but then Romo got hurt. Neither Hurd or Stanback have done much.

GRADE: C-

TIGHT ENDS (Witten, Bennett, Curtis)

Witten has been his usual great self and Bennett has shown some potential as an all around tight end. Curtis knows the system and can play special teams, but he has fumbling problems.

GRADE: B+

OFFENSIVE TACKLES (Adams, Colombo)

Started out fast then got owned by the speed rushers in Arizona. Tough to grade their performance with Brad Johnson in at QB. The run blocking looks pretty solid from both of these guys.

GRADE: C+

OFFENSIVE GUARDS (Kosier, L. Davis, Procter, Holland)

Kosier has been mostly injured this year. Davis has been pretty good this year although he seems to be good for 1-2 mistakes a game. Procter has been dreadful, can’t handle speed or power. Defensive tackles with decent hand speed give him big troubles. Holland really hasn’t played much, he may be in redshirt mode for the year until he learns the system.

CENTER (Gurode)

I like what I’ve seen out of him this year and his shotgun snaps have improved by tenfold. He still has some of those mental lapses, but even those have greatly reduced over the years. He has to protect for Procter a lot, but he’s a big and athletic center and opposing teams can’t just blitz the nose and push him back.

GRADE: A-

DEFENSIVE ENDS (Canty, Spears, Hatcher, Bowen)

I was worried about the DE’s earlier in the year, mainly for depth. But the problem with the DE’s now is Canty’s play has greatly regressed and while Spears has done a nice job, he’s still not a big pass rush guy (although I wouldn’t mind having him back next year at a reasonable price). Hatcher hasn’t done jack and neither has Bowen who has been banged up. Perhaps the weakest spot on the defense when I chart the games.

GRADE: D

NOSE TACKLE (Ratliff, T. Johnson)

Johnson has been a huge disappointment and I wonder if he may be better off at defensive end where he could be freed up a little more. Seems to really get pushed around against the run. Ratliff on the other hand has been downright excellent. It’s gotten to the point now when the defense needs a big play I feel they can count on Ratliff more than they can count on Ware. But I’ve argued that already.

GRADE: B

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS (Ware, Ellis, Spencer)

One of the issues with the defense is that Ellis’ play has dipped greatly and Spencer has been hurt. Ware has been good although I think he was better last season. Doesn’t seem to have that “wow factor” when he does the outside speed rush this season.

GRADE: C+

INSIDE LINEBACKERS (James, Z. Thomas, Burnett, Carpenter)

This crew has been decent, but the starters lack team speed and Zach is on the small side and can’t fend off blockers head on, so Dallas struggles against runs on the perimeter. Burnett has been a pleasant surprise this year, Carpenter is probably in his last season as a Cowboy.

GRADE: C

CORNERBACKS (Newman, P. Jones, Henry, Jenkins, Scandrick, Ball)

Newman has been hurt most of the season. Pacman really didn’t play all that bad, but wound up being suspended. Henry has been terrible, one of the reasons for Dallas’ struggles on defense. Jenkins has been sporadic. Scandrick has been a pleasant surprise.

GRADE: D+

SAFETIES (R. Williams, Hamlin, Watkins, K. Davis, C. Brown)

Roy Williams is out for the year and wasn’t really doing much when healthy. Hamlin has been okay. The rest of the safeties have been decent, although Courtney Brown is sporadic with his play.

PUNTER (McBriar, Paulescu)

McBriar had his typical season, booming them deep and then got hurt. Paulescu appears to be a more well rounded punter who can down punts inside the 10 and I’m willing to bet he can placehold as well, but the difference in leg strength is extremely noticeable.

GRADE: A –

KICKER (Folk)

He’s only missed 2 field goals all year long and he’s extremely accurate. His kickoffs are serviceable, but nobody is going to replace him with Brad Daluiso anytime soon.

GRADE: A –

COACHES

5-3 midway through the season and that’s 2 games without Romo. The Commanders and Rams games were probably the worst coached games of the season. They made a nice turnaround in the Eagles and Bucs game and threw a gem against the Packers. The defense has been a huge disappointment and the offense still runs into some of the same pitfalls. According to FO.com, Dallas has the 3 worst special teams unit…I’m not sure if that’s exactly true. The kicking game has been pretty good and when we can stay healthy, the kickoff returns are good as well. Problem is Pacman stunk on punt returns and we had a few mediocre weeks in coverage.

The penalties have dipped since last year, but the blitzes are getting picked up and the offense doesn’t seem to fool defenses anymore.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
OFFENSIVE GUARDS (Kosier, L. Davis, Procter, Holland)

Kosier has been mostly injured this year. Davis has been pretty good this year although he seems to be good for 1-2 mistakes a game. Procter has been dreadful, can’t handle speed or power. Defensive tackles with decent hand speed give him big troubles. Holland really hasn’t played much, he may be in redshirt mode for the year until he learns the system.

When do you suppose he will have this system down?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Wow. Gurode with the only "A".

I agree that Ware had more "wow" last season, but has had more "pow" (production) this season. Can't blame him for Ellis/Spencer underperforming.

And giving Cricket an "incomplete" at FB is very kind.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BAT;2382993 said:
Wow. Gurode with the only "A".

I agree that Ware had more "wow" last season, but has had more "pow" (production) this season. Can't blame him for Ellis/Spencer underperforming.

I think Ware's drop in WOW is because of his counter parts. Spencer is an injury bum and Ellis isn't playing at the level he did last year.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Gurode has been asleep at the wheel - I don't know how you can give him the only A of the bunch.

Otherwise I don't have issues although I think the CB's are better than a D

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Unless you're counting Curtis' blown block on special teams, our tight ends have been the best position group on the team. Witten has by far the most catches, yards and big plays (20-plus yards) of any tight end in the league, and Bennett is averaging 18.1 yards per catch -- the highest of any tight end with more than one catch (he has eight).

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I think your grades are fair, in fact I think youre being generous to the Coaches.

Id give them all an F. It took until week 8 to say "hey lets make some changes."

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Spears has done a nice job, he’s still not a big pass rush guy (although I wouldn’t mind having him back next year at a reasonable price).

Spears is already under contract for next season at $735,000.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Maybe teams have figured out Ellis can't do anything anymore, and more protection is being shifted towards Ware than last year?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2383071 said:
Spears is already under contract for next season at $735,000.

I'll take a solid run stuffing 3-4 DE at what amounts to about league minimum for a vet. Sounds like a great deal to me!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Vintage;2383086 said:
Maybe teams have figured out Ellis can't do anything anymore, and more protection is being shifted towards Ware than last year?

Yeah that would explain him being on pace to have more sacks then last year.

;)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just got to the offensive grades and there are several that I'd have to disagree with:

I think the receivers have been better than their C-

I would blame any struggles on the playcalling and coaches. When used correctly, Owens is still a force. Crayton has been solid, and Austin has improved markedly.

And the impact of Brad Johnson's incompetence cannot be overstated

I'd give the group a solid B.

The Incomplete for Fullback was a gift. If anything the position has been a C-

It further illustrates the fact that the team blew it when they passed on two quality fullbacks in this year's draft.

And the grade for Gurode is simply wrong.

He started off the season strong but the pas month his concentration and performance are sorely lacking.

I can go into great detail regarding his recent struggles.

Grading him anything close to an A is way off base in my opinion.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Rack;2383089 said:
Yeah that would explain him being on pace to have more sacks then last year.

;)

Its been a loooong morning.

I forgot what I was arguing.

:eek::

NOVA 22

Reaction score
YR: Great read as usual - a little scary the number of guys who are having noticeably down years (Ellis, Henry, Hatcher, Tank ...).

Do you think it is general consensus that Crayton was not getting the needed separation? I think most assume its the case, but its one of those things that are hard to peg without knowing what the coaches see on the field. If it is the case, this team need to get Roy more in the fold in a hurry.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Always a good read. Not much disagreement. The OL is getting a little too much blame I think. They have disappointed but some of their failures are due to the coaching. Not replacing or helping Adams at AZ and the Rams game is unforgiveable IMO. I only hope those losses don't haunt me and the Cowboys at season's end. Proctor is not as bad as most think IMO. Between Adams sporadic and injured play and his inexperience we lost Romo and two games IMO though. So I understand the blame.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2383041 said:
Unless you're counting Curtis' blown block on special teams, our tight ends have been the best position group on the team. Witten has by far the most catches, yards and big plays (20-plus yards) of any tight end in the league, and Bennett is averaging 18.1 yards per catch -- the highest of any tight end with more than one catch (he has eight).

Curtis is an inconsistent blocker and has a fumbling thing going on. I like Bennett a lot, but he doesn't get a lot of play time. Witten has been great and makes most of the grade for the group. I consider a "C" to be average. So grading them out at a B+ is quite good. For them to get in the "A" range, I'd probably have to see something like:

1) a historically great season by Witten

or

2) Really good special teams play from Bennett and/or Curtis

or

3) Substantially more production from either Bennett or Curtis.

I'm still more than happy with the tight end play, although Curtis frustrates me with his inconsistent blocking and fumbles.

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
NOVA 22;2383108 said:
YR: Great read as usual - a little scary the number of guys who are having noticeably down years (Ellis, Henry, Hatcher, Tank ...).

Do you think it is general consensus that Crayton was not getting the needed separation? I think most assume its the case, but its one of those things that are hard to peg without knowing what the coaches see on the field. If it is the case, this team need to get Roy more in the fold in a hurry.

I definitely think Crayton suffers from not getting seperation. Even though I don't have coach's film, When I analyze a lot of his catches, he's still not getting much seperation and it doesn't matter if it's a safety or even a linebacker that's helping cover him.

KC Joyner said that last year Crayton struggled against good corners and killed bad corners. I would think he's faced the lion share of poor corners with Owens opposite of him...maybe we just need to get him more time in the slot.

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2383042 said:
I think your grades are fair, in fact I think youre being generous to the Coaches.

Id give them all an F. It took until week 8 to say "hey lets make some changes."

You're going to give a 5-3 team who has played its last 2 games with Brad Johnson at QB and is playing in the toughest division in football an "F" in coaching?

YAKUZA

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2383196 said:
You're going to give a 5-3 team who has played its last 2 games with Brad Johnson at QB and is playing in the toughest division in football an "F" in coaching?

YAKUZA

There's a lot of all or nothing and black and white thinking going on around here.

Wade showed how good a coach he was in winning that Bucs game. We had absolutely no business being in the game much less winning it. 175 yds of offense and at best mediocre STs play and we still won. Our defense out defensed one of the best defenses in the league. Kudos to Wade, Stewart and Campo for this one.