Yakuza Rich: Midseason Grades

lspain1

Reaction score
jobberone;2383209 said:
There's a lot of all or nothing and black and white thinking going on around here.

Wade showed how good a coach he was in winning that Bucs game. We had absolutely no business being in the game much less winning it. 175 yds of offense and at best mediocre STs play and we still won. Our defense out defensed one of the best defenses in the league. Kudos to Wade, Stewart and Campo for this one.

Interesting point and probably valid on the Bucs game. That being said, I think we were outcoached in the game with St. Louis and our mediocre play in others also has some roots in poor coaching. IMO, it seems like the players do not have a hard nosed attitude and that also comes, in part, from coaching. The lapses on special teams come, in part, form coaching. I'm not giving the players a free pass here, but something is wrong beyond the injuries and coaching is a part of it.

To sum up, regardless of the excellent effort in the game with the Bucs, I reman convinced we have a coaching problem with this team. I hope I'm wrong....and we'll see.

Temo

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Spears get worked into NT next year, with Ratliff going to the DE. I think Ratliff coming off the edge on the pass rush could be really effective, with Spears being primarily a run-stuffer up the middle. This may not be possible to swing during the season (despite the experimenting in training camp), but for next year I could see that happening. Either way, we need more pass rush... whether it comes from the DEs or Spencer.

And on that topic, I completely agree about Ellis. He's been a total non-factor on most plays this season. It seems like he can really turn it up for like 5-10 plays a game, but is mostly jogging around on other plays. The only reason he's been merely decent rather than terrible this season is that he's still a pretty smart player and does the little things well.

As for the safeties, the thing you missed there is that Pat Watkins is not, in fact, an upgrade over Roy Williams... which unfortunately a lot of people have argued in the past.

As for special team... I seem to think they're a lot more terrible than you. I agree that Punting/Kicking is ok (though I do think Folk could use some more distance on his Kick Offs). However, the coverage has certainly been terrible, and the return game is worse than you suggest. Take out the Eagles game, and we haven't done jack on returns (even with Felix). As for coverage... we currently rank 27th in the NFL in starting field position for opposing offenses (32.06 yard line). We're at -3.49 (28th in NFL) in net starting field position (Offense minus defense).

According to advancednflstats.com (the best football stats site out there, if you ask me), 3.49 yards of field position is worth approximately 0.14 points on the drive. With an average of about 11.5 drives per game, that's 1.6 points per game... off field position alone. (Source: http://www.advancednflstats.com/2007/12/best-defensive-player-in-nfl-isneil.html)

And that's just vs. the average net field position. The best in the league is New England, who are +7.93 yards of field position (3.6 points a game).

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2383182 said:
Curtis is an inconsistent blocker and has a fumbling thing going on. I like Bennett a lot, but he doesn't get a lot of play time. Witten has been great and makes most of the grade for the group. I consider a "C" to be average. So grading them out at a B+ is quite good. For them to get in the "A" range, I'd probably have to see something like:

1) a historically great season by Witten

Before his injury against the Bucs, Witten was on pace to set the single-season record for catches by a tight end, and he was on pace for the third-highest yardage total by a tight end. Before Romo's injury, Witten was on pace to set both records.

or

2) Really good special teams play from Bennett and/or Curtis

or

3) Substantially more production from either Bennett or Curtis.

I'm still more than happy with the tight end play, although Curtis frustrates me with his inconsistent blocking and fumbles.

I didn't say they deserved an "A," I said they've been our best position group. You gave three other positions an "A," and I wouldn't put any of them ahead of our tight ends.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2383182 said:
Curtis is an inconsistent blocker and has a fumbling thing going on. I like Bennett a lot, but he doesn't get a lot of play time. Witten has been great and makes most of the grade for the group. I consider a "C" to be average. So grading them out at a B+ is quite good. For them to get in the "A" range, I'd probably have to see something like:

1) a historically great season by Witten

or

2) Really good special teams play from Bennett and/or Curtis

or

3) Substantially more production from either Bennett or Curtis.

I'm still more than happy with the tight end play, although Curtis frustrates me with his inconsistent blocking and fumbles.

YAKUZA

Curtis has 1 - count it, ONE - career fumble.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Temo;2383331 said:
As for coverage... we currently rank 27th in the NFL in starting field position for opposing offenses (32.06 yard line).

What is your source for this? Elias says we rank 32nd, with the average being the 30.8.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Other than the TEs and K, just about every other position should get an "I" for Inconsistent.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
lspain1;2383272 said:
Interesting point and probably valid on the Bucs game. That being said, I think we were outcoached in the game with St. Louis and our mediocre play in others also has some roots in poor coaching. IMO, it seems like the players do not have a hard nosed attitude and that also comes, in part, from coaching. The lapses on special teams come, in part, form coaching. I'm not giving the players a free pass here, but something is wrong beyond the injuries and coaching is a part of it.

To sum up, regardless of the excellent effort in the game with the Bucs, I reman convinced we have a coaching problem with this team. I hope I'm wrong....and we'll see.

Oh, I agree with you. It's not all coaching or all players. That was part of my point.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo
As for coverage... we currently rank 27th in the NFL in starting field position for opposing offenses (32.06 yard line).
AdamJT13;2383437 said:
What is your source for this? Elias says we rank 32nd, with the average being the 30.8.

Either one sucks

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I'm curious to why Kevin Burnett has been a "pleasant surprise"

I missed the Tampa game stupid Maryland Fox broadcast the Lions/Commanders but in the games I've watched, Burnett has been largely invisible

Monster Heel

Benched
Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly the best person to analyze film, but I've seen Burnett making plays on ST. In the actual defense, I haven't seen much, but that may be good.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Monster Heel;2383832 said:
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly the best person to analyze film, but I've seen Burnett making plays on ST. In the actual defense, I haven't seen much, but that may be good.

I guess I am blind then

I believe you though, I just haven't really seen him doing much

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2383841 said:
I guess I am blind then

I believe you though, I just haven't really seen him doing much

He showed up in the Bucs game. I think he had his best game of the year.

Temo

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2383437 said:

Football Outsider Drive stats, which isn't just Field position after kickoffs, which is the stat I think you're alluding to.

I just wanted to show how lack of field position in general has hurt this team.

By the way though, STATS LLC has us dead last as well, but the average seems to be well below 30.8

Do you ahve a link to Elias stats, I haven't been able to see them anywhere.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I must be watching a different Gurode.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Sarge;2383890 said:
I must be watching a different Gurode.

Sarge, it's obvious people have differing expectations and observations. When he's not taking a nap out there he's pretty good although they better start dominating the LOS from here on out if they want to repeat their trip to Hawaii.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2383983 said:
I was at work ;(

we have DirectTV, but the cheap *******s won't get Sunday NFL Ticket

Ask someone here to tape it or put it on DVD.