Yale for Free!?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think other schools have similar setups on iTunes.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4412140 said:
I think other schools have similar setups on iTunes.

I have a newfound respect for the Ivy's though. I mean, this isn't the University of Phoenix. I'm passively taking a few on the Yale site, but that's just because I'm a nerd.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4412145 said:
I have a newfound respect for the Ivy's though. I mean, this isn't the University of Phoenix. I'm passively taking a few on the Yale site, but that's just because I'm a nerd.

Aside from the knowledge, of which the only benefit is likely a neat presentation, you're not really getting a whole lot out of it are you?

I'll probably check a few out just to see what they look like. Most of the courses are pretty gen-ed type stuff.

If you're really into it, checkout iTunes U. They probably have 200 or so colleges you can check out courses from.

Harvard, Yale, Brown, Cornell

They have a ton.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4412157 said:
Aside from the knowledge, of which the only benefit is likely a neat presentation, you're not really getting a whole lot out of it are you?

I'll probably check a few out just to see what they look like. Most of the courses are pretty gen-ed type stuff.

If you're really into it, checkout iTunes U. They probably have 200 or so colleges you can check out courses from.

Harvard, Yale, Brown, Cornell

They have a ton.

Cool. No, not a whole lot of benefit other than knowledge. But I like knowledge. I think "Frontiers in Astrophysics" would be cool. I always like to hear various astronomers. Same with English professors. I don't think you can ever get too much. I do like that you can you tube/itunes various lectures, etc.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4412153 said:
I just started taking this one, although I've already read a few on her reading list. She's got a hefty syllabus for sure. Nothing I'm unaccustomed to, though.

http://oyc.yale.edu/english/american-novel-since-1945/

Hands down worst professor I've ever had, anywhere, was a graduate of either Yale or Princeton. Got her masters at Purdue. I cannot begin to explain how poor of an instructor she was.

In fact, the guy that sat next to me actually stopped her in the middle of class (after she wouldn't allow us to ask her why she was doing a fundamental calculus formulation incorrectly), told her she was completely wrong on what she was doing. She asked him what part.

He stands up, goes to the board, takes a piece of chalk, and starts at the left board, draws a line across everything she's written to the far right board, and says "From there, to here, nothing you've done is right unless you wanted to confuse the class or make us think you're unqualified to teach."

She wasted 30 minutes teaching the class the incorrect way to do something and never got it corrected completely. When I dropped the class, I wrote a scathing note to the head of the math department on why I was doing so. Still gets me hot under the collar to think she had a job as an instructor. :banghead:

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4412164 said:
Hands down worst professor I've ever had, anywhere, was a graduate of either Yale or Princeton. Got her masters at Purdue. I cannot begin to explain how poor of an instructor she was.

In fact, the guy that sat next to me actually stopped her in the middle of class (after she wouldn't allow us to ask her why she was doing a fundamental calculus formulation incorrectly), told her she was completely wrong on what she was doing. She asked him what part.

He stands up, goes to the board, takes a piece of chalk, and starts at the left board, draws a line across everything she's written to the far right board, and says "From there, to here, nothing you've done is right unless you wanted to confuse the class or make us think you're unqualified to teach."

She wasted 30 minutes teaching the class the incorrect way to do something and never got it corrected completely. When I dropped the class, I wrote a scathing note to the head of the math department on why I was doing so. Still gets me hot under the collar to think she had a job as an instructor. :banghead:

My worst is someone who made us read articles from 50-60 years. My guess is that the instructor just copied his professor's syllabus when he went to school there and just never bothered to update it. They finally changed the requirement last year so that those who haven't taken this class no longer have to take it.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I sure hope they still dont use chalkboards at Yale...

donate_home_banner.jpg

kapolani

Reaction score
Been going through the Standford IOS programming course. Pretty good primer.

Love all these free online courses.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Finally, a women's studies course they can't bar me from.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
bbgun;4412650 said:
Finally, a women's studies course they can't bar me from.

I have the same problem. I think gender studies is quackery, mostly, because people take it to extremes and radicalize everything.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4412164 said:

Hands down one of the best professors I ever had went to Yale. I guess it varies.

His story is fascinating, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._K._Seung

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4412159 said:
Cool. No, not a whole lot of benefit other than knowledge. But I like knowledge. I think "Frontiers in Astrophysics" would be cool. I always like to hear various astronomers. Same with English professors. I don't think you can ever get too much. I do like that you can you tube/itunes various lectures, etc.
I'm working on my M.A. right now...trust me it gets old :laugh2: