Yankees, Gene "Stick" Michael, passes away

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Win it for "Stick"...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/sports/new-york-yankees-baltimore-orioles.html

mlbf_1817131083_th_45.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Much better front office guy than he was a player.

The epitome of the "Good fielder/bad hitter".

Couldn't hit a lick. But one of several SS in the 60's & 70's that were out there for their glove and their bats were essentially empty.

Yup... shortstops(hitting) weren't a big deal until guys like Robin Yount in the 80's

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup... shortstops(hitting) weren't a big deal until guys like Robin Yount in the 80's

You had a few guys like Ernie Banks of course but yeah shortstops were more like "stick" or Mark Belanger or Roger Metzger.

I give props to Ralph Houk for getting the 1970 Yankees to 2nd place 93-69, with Gene Michael hitting .214 with 2 homers and slugging .255 at SS and Horace Clark hitting .251 with 4 homers and slugging .309 at 2B... Amazing.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
You had a few guys like Ernie Banks of course but yeah shortstops were more like "stick" or Mark Belanger or Roger Metzger.

I give props to Ralph Houk for getting the 1970 Yankees to 2nd place 93-69, with Gene Michael hitting .214 with 2 homers and slugging .255 at SS and Horace Clark hitting .251 with 4 homers and slugging .309 at 2B... Amazing.

Damn... why you dumping on "Stick"?
I'm sure there were more than a few teams with production like stick... maybe two players... 2nd base wasn't worth squat for years... that made it to second place... or even first place... maybe won a World Series?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Damn... why you dumping on "Stick"?
I'm sure there were more than a few teams with production like stick... maybe two players... 2nd base wasn't worth squat for years... that made it to second place... or even first place... maybe won a World Series?

Yes the did!

With different guys of course.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Ah... no. Not as an active player.

"Stick" retired in '75.

Actually his last season with the Yankees was '74.

Ohhhhh k.... because you clearly don't want to follow.

In the history of baseball... teams have advanced to second place or first place or even won World Series with players and sticks stats.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ohhhhh k.... because you clearly don't want to follow.

In the history of baseball... teams have advanced to second place or first place or even won World Series with players and sticks stats.

Of course.

Look at Baltimore.

But I guess I'm not really following your train of thought there Red.

Plankton

Reaction score
The man who saved the franchise from Boss Steinbrenner. Were it not for his keen eye for talent and his backbone in standing up to George when he ordered trading Bernie Williams and Derek Jeter prior to 1995, the dynasty of the late 90's never would have happened. RIP to an all-time great talent evaluator and general manager.