Yankees interested in Soria and Soria interested in Yanks

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Report: Joakim Soria Willing To Accept Trade To Yankees
by Ed Valentine

Joakim Soria, outstanding closer for the Kansas City Royals, says forget the fact that there is a no-trade provision in his contract in which he would not accept a move to the New York Yankees. He says he would be "happy" to come and pitch in the Bronx.

"There is a no-trade clause to the Yankees in my contract, but did not put it in myself," Soria said. "My agent put it as a strategy, but if the Royals decide to move me to New York I would be happy to play with the Yankees or another team.

"I repeat, I would not block a trade to the Yankees. I like to play baseball and I would play with any team," Soria said.

The entire article can be read here.

http://newyork.sbnation.com/new-york-yankees/2010/12/29/1902698/report-joakim-soria-willing-to-accept-trade-to-yankees-royals

tko112204

Reaction score
I'm not sure the Yankees would be interested, and he would cost the one thing they don't have an unlimited supply of... prospects.

He's signed to a reasonable contract and therefore would be expensive (player-wise) to acquire from a team that has to closely monitor its budget, like the Royals.

That said, the Yankees would be playing 7 inning games if that happened.

Alumni2k11

Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)
Reaction score
I think it's more likely they'll go after Soriano. He's a free agent and would cost less (1st round pick rather than some prospects that would include Montero and the killer B's).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JLAZeroSeven;3785430 said:
I think it's more likely they'll go after Soriano. He's a free agent and would cost less (1st round pick rather than some prospects that would include Montero and the killer B's).

Yankees have expressed interest in both.

tko112204

Reaction score
JLAZeroSeven;3785430 said:

You think a closer (albeit a good one) is worth Montero and Banuelos??

Is that you Drayton?

tko112204

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3785464 said:
Yankees have expressed interest in both.

Well they would never have Mo, Soriano, AND Soria. That's extremely repetitive, and they would all be fairly high paid.

I could see trying to get Soria, or lock up Soriano so you have Mo's replacement on the roster already when he hangs it up. But you don't need all three. Either Soria or Soriano would be underworked.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
tko112204;3785497 said:
Well they would never have Mo, Soriano, AND Soria. That's extremely repetitive, and they would all be fairly high paid.

I could see trying to get Soria, or lock up Soriano so you have Mo's replacement on the roster already when he hangs it up. But you don't need all three. Either Soria or Soriano would be underworked.

I think the Yankee strategy is going to be to use Rivera a lot less this season. I think the Yankees see that Rivera can not continue to be used as he has been in the past. I think they also want to shorten the game for their starters. If you can save Pettite, Burnett, CC and Hughes, say 5 or 6 innings and then turn it over to an over powering relief team and closer, you can achieve the same kind of results as if you had 4 very high quality starters. We'll see what they do but I could definetely see them trying this.

Alumni2k11

Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)
Reaction score
tko112204;3785495 said:
You think a closer (albeit a good one) is worth Montero and Banuelos??

Is that you Drayton?

Never said he was worth it...