Yankees Up For Sale? Rumors Say So!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
George was crazy, but I really had no issue with him. Now Hank I really dislike. He is like the John Mara of baseball. Now that George is gone, I would be very excited to see the Steinbrenners out of the Yankee organization.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if they sold but I've heard lots of rumors like this over the years about the Yankees. Especially in the early days when George first bought the team.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I don't see it happening unless somebody comes up with a deal in the $3.5+ billion range. Part of the reason is that Hank and Hal both know that their father made the deal of the century when he purchased the Yankees rather cheap and made money off of it 100 x's over.

I think Hank's words are being misconstrued because he's felt that the Yankees need to build the farm system up in part because you can't rely on trades anymore and the entire Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling situation showed that teams won't give up players for a reasonable price to the Yankees anymore. That and for all of the talk about the Yankees 'buying championships', a lot of their key talent in the 90's dynasty was home grown (Bernie, Mo, Jeter, Posada, Pettite, etc.)

I guess it wouldn't surprise me because with the economy the last 5 years, there's been enough crazy financial dealings, bankruptcies, etc. that I'm not really surprised anymore. However, I think it will take much more than $3 billion for them to sell the franchise. Probably more like $4 billion.

YR