Yea, yea, I know it's OT, but...

No_Hands

Reaction score
....did anyone check out the brawl in Detroit. Ugly night for the NBA.

Some are already trying to defend Ron Artest. But the guy is a jacka$$. Stupid flagrant foul on the road in a blow out win and it descended from there...;;;;;;;;

Champsheart

Reaction score
No_Hands said:

Some are already trying to defend Ron Artest. But the guy is a jacka$$. Stupid flagrant foul on the road in a blow out win and it descended from there...;;;;;;;;

That whole situation is really ugly. Just horrible for all of sports.
I am not defending Artest, but the foul was not really that bad. I have played many pick up games with much worse.

Ben Wallace's reaction was much worst.

The point to me is fans in today's sports are getting way out of line confronting players. There is just way to much of this happening.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
No_Hands said:

If you guys are going to knock Artest, you're going to have to call Cliff Harris a bad guy too because he did the same thing. Some Skins fans threw a beer bottle in his face and he went after them. It's just the media covers everything nowadays. Players have done this stuff before.

No_Hands

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
If you guys are going to knock Artest, you're going to have to call Cliff Harris a bad guy too because he did the same thing. Some Skins fans threw a beer bottle in his face and he went after them. It's just the media covers everything nowadays. Players have done this stuff before.
no, no....this thing ended twice for Artest. And even if you can excuse him for his journey into the stands. Cold cocking the guy who bowed up to him on the court afterward was borderline criminal......and damn funny in a sadistic kinda way.

I saw a hockey episode from a few years back but this is soccer hooligan stuff here. Even Larry Brown said he never even saw anything like this in the ABA. Brown throwing down the mic in disgust is classic

Champsheart

Reaction score
You know the worst thing of all is the shots of the little kids crying in the crowd. What a shame.

Champsheart

Reaction score
No_Hands said:
no, no....this thing ended twice for Artest. And even if you can excuse him for his journey into the stands. Cold cocking the guy who bowed up to him on the court afterward was borderline criminal

You are kidding right?
That **** was crazy. Who knows what the fan was going to do? You saw several of them in the crowd throwing hay makers at the Pacers, and then they come down to you on the floor. Shoot as dispicable as this whole thing was, I would done the same thing. Artest does not know what that guy is going to do.

Bobo

Reaction score
No_Hands said:
Cold cocking the guy who bowed up to him on the court afterward was borderline criminal......and damn funny in a sadistic kinda way.

If that guy did nothing to Artest, then Artest should be in jail. There was another Pacer that knocked the hell out of that guy after that. Whoever that guy is could be put the hurting to the wallets of these guys.

They also said that the guy Artest hit at the beginning wasn't even the guy that through the beer on him. Artest is a punk, and I hope he gets his *** handed to him for this.

The ESPN crew seem to think that it's all the fault of the Detroit fans, and Pacer players that are running around knocking the hell out of people who may or may not have thrown beer on them are in the clear :rolleyes:

No_Hands

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
You are kidding right?
That **** was crazy. Who knows what the fan was going to do? You saw several of them in the crowd throwing hay makers at the Pacers, and then they come down to you on the floor. Shoot as dispicable as this whole thing was, I would done the same thing. Artest does not know what that guy is going to do.
i didn't say the dude didn't deserve to get rocked for being out on the floor. He did, but, his face the moment he realized he was face-to-face with Artest is classic. He looked stunned, at least until he ate a fist.

look, it's about decisions. Artest made the 1st dumb one by flagrantly fouling Wallace in that atmosphere. Everything subsequent to that is because of the decision he made 1st.

Smith22

Reaction score
What the fans did was completely wrong, but Artest CAN'T go into the crowd and take the situation to another level. There are little kids, hell, maybe even older babies in that crowd. You just can't take that chance of them getting injured or god forbid killed (trampled).

Champsheart

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
What the fans did was completely wrong, but Artest CAN'T go into the crowd and take the situation to another level. There are little kids, hell, maybe even older babies in that crowd. You just can't take that chance of them getting injured or god forbid killed (trampled).

I definetly agree with that!

Champsheart

Reaction score
Man, what a crazy event.
What the heck was the guy restraing Artest thinking when he pulled him back like he was trying to help out, and then just started punching Artest, and then the big brotha starts cold cocking Jones. I just heard Jim Gray say that guy had credentials on as well.

No_Hands

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Man, what a crazy event.
What the heck was the guy restraing Artest thinking when he pulled him back like he was trying to help out, and then just started punching Artest, and then the big brotha starts cold cocking Jones. I just heard Jim Gray say that guy had credentials on as well.
there wasn't a very high level of thinking by anyone out there. Sad day for American sport.

Aftermath?

Jackson and O'Neal get double digit suspensions for fighting in stands and throwing punches at fans. They weren't just protecting their teammate, they were swinging with intent.

Artest....25games...50 games...season? They have to make an example of him...don't they?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Artest gets paid well to be there the fans paid to be there.

His actions are worth 20 games off to go promote his CD.

Jermaine O'neal is likely joining him for half that which means Indy loses a lot of games in the near future.

BTW, if an opposing player comes in the stands near me I'm insulting his momma, kids and dog.
If those guys are stupid enough to hit you then you deserve the 450k they pay in the out of court settlement the NBA forces them to accept.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
jterrell said:
BTW, if an opposing player comes in the stands near me I'm insulting his momma, kids and dog.
If those guys are stupid enough to hit you then you deserve the 450k they pay in the out of court settlement the NBA forces them to accept.

You bring up a great point.

Players have to become impervious to the fans around them. When I played high school football, I heard some of the meanest things I've ever been told in my life at games. One game in particular we were pelted with plastic footballs after we won a game within the last minute. We had to walk by their fans to get their tunnel and were absolutly pummeled with crap. Being a small town, no one did a damn thing to stop it. We just jogged to the locker room where we would then talk mad crap about those stupid fans. Granted they were plastic footballs but none of us charged into the stands.

Bottom line: You have to think before you act. Wallace did not. Artest did not. The fan obviously did it.

And the innocent ones suffer. I feel bad for the guy in the black shirt who Artest went after who did nothing wrong other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's the one, if anyone, who should be pissed off.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Did you guys see when the pissed on fans were fighting and pummeling a pacer player prone to the floor (it was like 10 to 1) with that old lady on the ground? Detroit fans blow...

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
There are going to be a few fans who are going to file lawsuits I'm sure. They want the NBA $$$$$.

The more I think about it, the less I blame security. You can't have one security guard equal to every fan. They did their best to help an ugly situation.