CFZ Yesterday’s game had multiple reminders for us

rambo2

Reaction score
Agree…me must improve. We knew going into this season that our run defense needed to improve. It’s one of the main reasons we had an early exit from the playoffs. If we don’t improve in this area we probably won’t get any further in the playoffs this year.

And yet, looking at many posts on this forum, too many of our fans are saying all we need is a better WR. I mean I guess that would help, but IMO, we need some more DL help and maybe some more depth at LB or CB.
They actually might trade one of their defensive linemen. Basham and or 1 of the defensive tackles. They could end up making a couple of trades or make none. Keep in mind that they will use Clark at linebacker and Bell can play in the box as well. It is remarkable the number of rookies and 2nd year players that thy are able to use and they are one of the best teams in the NFL right now.

rambo2

Reaction score
Same here as I responded in another post.
I want the best run stopping d lineman and best run tackling linebacker as is available that could be an upgrade.
I think that they pretty much have a full roster at defensive line and linebacker. They just added Hankins and Clark.

rambo2

Reaction score
Especially for us! Most of our starters don’t get enough playing time during the preseason. They come out rusty. See Dak!!!!
With the way it is now, it makes no sense to play starters in games that don't count. The first 2 regular season games have become the modern day preseason games. You have to prepare your team to play a 20 game season which is very difficult to do. This 20 game season gives us Super Bowls where teams run out of offensive linemen and can't protect the qb like what happened to the Chiefs 2 years ago.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The games at the Packers and Vikings will say a lot about our chances to win the East.

I believe they are must-win games if they are going to have a shot at catching the Eagles.

The Eagles' schedule is pretty easy, hard to believe Dallas can afford to lose 1 of those games and make up 3 games with 7 remaining.

Creeper

Reaction score
Good post. The Bears are not the worst team the Cowboys have faced or will face. They are a tough team that is in a building mode. They can run the football and their QB is a threat to score from anywhere on the field with his legs.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Cowboys are 6-2 at the bye. They are 5-1 since that disaster to start the season against Tampa. Most of us, including me would not have predicted that back on opening night.

Sometimes we all need to be reminded of several truths about the long NFL season and what that entails. Here are some of those reminders:
  • Things can change very quickly in the NFL. Right now, most fans and sports writers already think Philly has the NFCE wrapped up. Hardly. We have 9 games to play and the e-girls have 10. Tons of football left to be played. The giants lost yesterday and we leap frogged them into second place. Things change quickly.
  • Even a great defense like ours may need the offense to carry the day. Yesterday reminded us. In today's NFL, it’s very hard for any defense to dominate the opponent week after week. Yesterday, the offense carried the day. Most games, our defense may dominate. But not always.
  • Even a weaker NFL opponent can have a good game against us. The bears surprised many fans yesterday. But we should remember- this isn’t college football. All NFL teams have good players and coaches. Anyone can beat you. I’d didn’t think our defense played that bad. I think their offense is better than many thought.
  • Young players can develop into better players. This is a young team with many developing players. Most are getting better as the season progresses. Look at the young TEs we have in Ferguson and Hendershot. Sam Williams is getting better. Tyler Smith seems to be getting better at LT every week.
  • Teams develop and adapt too. All teams are constantly changing and developing. This is why you can’t assume when a team has a good or bad game that it won’t get better or worse. On opening night, too many of us assumed that was how the season would go. This team developed.
Tons of football left to be played. Yesterday reminded me that things change. Every week.

The Bears know what their identity is now and they know how to use Fields better. They went into New England last week and beat them pretty good. Yes N.E. isn't the same team as years past but it's still impressive they went in there and soundly beat a B.B. coached team.

The defense was gassed yesterday. A lot of injuries caught up to them and they were kept on the field longer right before the half after that roughing the passer call and then the Dak INT. A few breaks went the Bears way that kept the game closer and the defense taking a lot more snaps. I give credit to the Bears for sticking to the run which is their strength after going down 28-7. When you run the ball that many times and get some breaks you will wear down any defense.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Bears know what their identity is now and they know how to use Fields better. They went into New England last week and beat them pretty good. Yes N.E. isn't the same team as years past but it's still impressive they went in there and soundly beat a B.B. coached team.

The defense was gassed yesterday. A lot of injuries caught up to them and they were kept on the field longer right before the half after that roughing the passer call and then the Dak INT. A few breaks went the Bears way that kept the game closer and the defense taking a lot more snaps. I give credit to the Bears for sticking to the run which is their strength after going down 28-7. When you run the ball that many times and get some breaks you will wear down any defense.
The bears ran 79 snaps against our D yesterday, by far the most against us this year. They dominated TOP. Our offense only ran 58 plays but was very efficient, having almost 8 yds per play.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I said this yesterday after the game that the Bears were the best offense we have faced all season. Better than Philly. They execute really well and was very impressed.

Totally agree. I watched the game in Foxboro against the Patriots. They could have easily put up 40 points on the Patriots. No one has put up 40 points against the Patriots in Foxboro in a very long time.

Nexx

Reaction score
Dak picked apart a top 5 passing defense and the silence from the “Rush is better” crowd is deafening.

You're a fool if you thought "Rush is better" crowd actually existed. It was troll. Many people had gotten sick and tired of our QB1 squandering elite offensive rosters. Rush provide many of those people right when a journeyman QB navigated the team to a 5-1 record over the past two years. . What was even more annoying is Dakazoids always making excuses, about offensive line, wide receivers, and coaching. They want everything to elite around Dak. NO ONE has that. No one in their right minds actually thought Rush was better than Dak.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Yep. It’s why I think the eaglets are destined to lose a game soon they are “supposed to win”.
Yes, one of these teams they are suppose to beat easily will beat them. They will come in overconfident and have their guard down, its just being human. I am not sure why so many are convinced they will run the table this year - when even the best of teams don't. Like you said - any given sunday

Motorola

Reaction score
This is a nice "master of the obvious" thread, if you don't mind me digging up that old internet meme. What are we supposed to discuss?

The Bears hung the most points in a game this season around our neck. More than Tom, the two superbowl teams and the red hot Eagles managed to do. That isn't just them doing good. Our run defense really couldn't cope with their (somehow unexpected but not unknown) quality. Players, including Micah and Tank were chasing Fields and missed him countless times. And that's not just because he's one heck of a scrambler. Their angles were off quite a few times and we're lucky that there are few QBs like him. A win is a win but that's not rocket science. Fortunately their one dimensional offense couldn't keep up with Dak and Tony.

It does happen, but this needs to be adressed. And yes, you can't be flawless, so wait for more monday morning phrases coming your way in this thread. ;)
Well stated, 'Streifekarl'.
Bobhaze's commentary threads tend to be summary responses to the bold, outrageous, sarcastic, sometimes ludricrous, oftentimes uninformed \ witless posts by some CZers.
All in all, the majority of the fanbase here is aware that every NFL season follows no script; each year develops and evolves on what the 32 teams do in planning, then working toward goals that overcome deficiencies along with adjusting to unexpected setbacks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While the Bears may only be a slightly below average team their offense is closer to the top and reminds us why despite our good defense there will be games we’ll need our offense to put some points up.

I believe Fields is an up and coming QB. Mobile QB’s with ability to extend plays and make first downs with their legs along with an arm are going to give good defenses fits.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Well stated, 'Streifekarl'.
Bobhaze's commentary threads tend to be summary responses to the bold, outrageous, sarcastic, sometimes ludricrous, oftentimes uninformed \ witless posts by some CZers.
All in all, the majority of the fanbase here is aware that every NFL season follows no script; each year develops and evolves on what the 32 teams do in planning, then working toward goals that overcome deficiencies along with adjusting to unexpected setbacks.
Oh I agree. Actually I enjoy BobHazes posts because he is one of the more rational, moderate fans. Too many people here residing on the extreme sides of an argument.

Just felt like pointing out that this thread just states the obvious. Felt like he was teaching a class of third graders. Doesn't mean it's wrong though. :)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak picked apart a top 5 passing defense and the silence from the “Rush is better” crowd is deafening.
As a side note…IMO, I wish we could all stop the “us vs. them” rhetoric. We all make wrong statements and judgements about this team. Nothing against you brother. Just a side comment.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Cowboys are 6-2 at the bye. They are 5-1 since that disaster to start the season against Tampa. Most of us, including me would not have predicted that back on opening night.

Sometimes we all need to be reminded of several truths about the long NFL season and what that entails. Here are some of those reminders:
  • Things can change very quickly in the NFL. Right now, most fans and sports writers already think Philly has the NFCE wrapped up. Hardly. We have 9 games to play and the e-girls have 10. Tons of football left to be played. The giants lost yesterday and we leap frogged them into second place. Things change quickly.
  • Even a great defense like ours may need the offense to carry the day. Yesterday reminded us. In today's NFL, it’s very hard for any defense to dominate the opponent week after week. Yesterday, the offense carried the day. Most games, our defense may dominate. But not always.
  • Even a weaker NFL opponent can have a good game against us. The bears surprised many fans yesterday. But we should remember- this isn’t college football. All NFL teams have good players and coaches. Anyone can beat you. I’d didn’t think our defense played that bad. I think their offense is better than many thought.
  • Young players can develop into better players. This is a young team with many developing players. Most are getting better as the season progresses. Look at the young TEs we have in Ferguson and Hendershot. Sam Williams is getting better. Tyler Smith seems to be getting better at LT every week.
  • Teams develop and adapt too. All teams are constantly changing and developing. This is why you can’t assume when a team has a good or bad game that it won’t get better or worse. On opening night, too many of us assumed that was how the season would go. This team developed.
Tons of football left to be played. Yesterday reminded me that things change. Every week.
Personally, I don't think the Bears surprised a lot of fans yesterday with their run game, they've been gashing teams all season long with this type of of offense. Also, the Boys have shown all season long that defending the run has been an issue with this team. Quinn has the players to defend the pass but defending against the run is another beast that needs to be slayed if this team is to get deep into the playoffs.

TWOK11

Reaction score
You're a fool if you thought "Rush is better" crowd actually existed. It was troll. Many people had gotten sick and tired of our QB1 squandering elite offensive rosters. Rush provide many of those people right when a journeyman QB navigated the team to a 5-1 record over the past two years. . What was even more annoying is Dakazoids always making excuses, about offensive line, wide receivers, and coaching. They want everything to elite around Dak. NO ONE has that. No one in their right minds actually thought Rush was better than Dak.

“Squandering” is an odd word choice, given that Dallas has the #1 offense in both yards per game and points per game since 2018 in games in which Dak Prescott starts. He’s fourth in the NFL in adjusted yards per attempt in that time span, and is third in passing TDs outside of the red zone.

But more to the point, you’re simply either unaware of or ignoring reality if you don’t believe people actually argued Rush ran our offense better than Dak.