Yet another Dak stat post

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm more interested in what he can do moving ahead, because like it or not, he is the QB, and he may perform better than he has, and it may be worse.

The only certain thing is that we are going to find out.

Its not like the team isnt sure or is debating signing him.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
However, Let me add a cry to make it longer.

You 4 will be proven wrong on Dak again.

I tried to get the Dak haters official count, but they’re afraid to list themselves. :)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
lol youre reading skills are not very good. Your post is just an angry reactionary post. If you read my post it was fair and full of qualifiers. You accuse me of cherry picking stats and then do exactly the same in response. Difference is I admit it was one example of many stats and explained why I thought qb rating was good to discuss and how I havent seen it in other threads. Enjoy your anger
My reading skills are just fine. Pretty much proved you wrong with everything I supplied. Why would I be angry?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I apologize in advance to the Dak lovers (not being sarcastic) for giving ammo to the "haters" I'm in the middle myself frankly and I just checked these numbers expecting them to be much better for Dak. I'm kind of shocked really. Anyway these numbers below represent the placing for each qb in qb rating in their first 4 years as a starter.

I see so many people quoting Dak's completion % but completion % just keeps getting better and better for the whole league, across the board. I am a believer in qb rating as it combines and weighs a variety of numbers. And yes, of course, winning is the best stat. I do believe Dak can bring us to the promised land. I personally hopes he signs soon and we can just move on and all root for him.

But that said :
Prescott 1st year (2016) 3rd, 2nd year 18th, 3rd 14th and last year 10th
Romo was 5,5,8 and 8
Wentz has been 5,4,7,13

I thought Dak's low int rate would mean he has been placing higher

I expect Dak to place much higher in 2020..... if we play

DYAR rankings
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/qb

2016 #4
2017 #17
2018 #25
2019 #1

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I apologize in advance to the Dak lovers (not being sarcastic) for giving ammo to the "haters" I'm in the middle myself frankly and I just checked these numbers expecting them to be much better for Dak. I'm kind of shocked really. Anyway these numbers below represent the placing for each qb in qb rating in their first 4 years as a starter.

I see so many people quoting Dak's completion % but completion % just keeps getting better and better for the whole league, across the board. I am a believer in qb rating as it combines and weighs a variety of numbers. And yes, of course, winning is the best stat. I do believe Dak can bring us to the promised land. I personally hopes he signs soon and we can just move on and all root for him.

But that said :
Romo was 5,5,8 and 8
Wentz has been 5,4,7,13

I am perfectly fine using this stat as a baseline.
Nothing at all wrong with it even if it is very dated and incomplete.
But let's check the source because I see Dak at 9th last year.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/qb-rating-nfl

ESPN's QBR shows his 4th.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

NFL Passer Rating Career Leaders at pfr shows him tied with Brady for 5th best for his lifetime.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

teamrankings.com shows Dak
as
2019: 9th
2018: 16th
2017: 14th

2016: 3rd

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

But that said :
Romo was 5,5,8 and 8
Wentz has been 5,4,7,13

QBR tends to be a better measure and most now use that because it takes into account situational football....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

But that said :
Romo was 5,5,8 and 8
Wentz has been 5,4,7,13

btw, where did you get these stats....carson went had a 79.3 QB rating, among the worst in the league...how could he have been 5th?

Dak wasn't 3rd, he was behind grapolo and brady, although Brady didn't start the first 4 games....I think you excluded them from the list...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But that said :
Romo was 5,5,8 and 8
Wentz has been 5,4,7,13

The NFL site has Dak at 14th in Passer Rating and Mahomes at 10th. They include 2 QBs in the top 10 with 10 or less attempts for the season.

If you remove the QBs with less than 100 attempts, then both Dak and Mahomes move up by 3 spots to 11th and 7th.

2019 QBR:
1 Lamar Jackson BAL

2 Patrick Mahomes KC

3 Drew Brees NO

4 Dak Prescott DAL

QBR might be a tad more reflective of how well a QB played than the Passer Rating rankings from the NFL.

Romo was #1 in 2014 with a 79.2 QBR.

Dak 3rd in 2016 with a 77.6 QBR.

Dak was #1 in QBR for the 2018 Post Season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
btw, where did you get these stats....carson went had a 79.3 QB rating, among the worst in the league...how could he have been 5th?

Dak wasn't 3rd, he was behind grapolo and brady, although Brady didn't start the first 4 games....I think you excluded them from the list...
@Established1971
Wentz was 25th in Passer Rating in 2016 (24th in QBR).

basel90

Reaction score
until dak starts winning games against playoff caliber teams , his stats won't matter. Great QBs are known for Super Bowls, Playoff wins.
2 days ago i was watching the replay game against the vikings , a home game for dallas. Dak missed reads and open receivers during the last 4 minutes ( Cooper particularly at the end in the last drive in the red zone). Dallas lost a crucial game to at home to the Vikings and its winning QB Cousins. Same could be said against New England , Philadelphia , New Olreans etc , where he failed to score 1 touchdown. Dak lovers will keep pointing to stats etc. and the lack of talent at dallas for these losses. Which is true as this is a team game . But the difference between a good and a great QB is enormous to the team. Dak is still not in the top 7 category of great QBs .

DFWJC

Reaction score

But that said :
Romo was 5,5,8 and 8
Wentz has been 5,4,7,13

Even QB rating, on average, keeps going up.
A few studies have shown it is has recently been 9 points on average the last decade and about 17 for 20 years, about 25 for 30...etc

So a QB rating of 97 in 2019 would be about a rating of about 88 in 2009 and way lower in the early 90s (maybe 75?)

It put Staubach's career QB rating of only about 83 into perspective. Probably equates to about a 115 in our era? Insane.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A few studies have shown it is has recently been 9 points on average the last decade and about 17 for 20 years, about 25 for 30...etc

So a QB rating of 97 in 2019 would be about a rating of about 88 in 2009 and way lower in the early 90s (maybe 75?)

It put Staubach's career QB rating of only about 83 into perspective. Probably equates to about a 115 in our era? Insane.
that is accurate on it's face but not really...
The NFL has Aaron Rodgers at all-time number 1. Totally fair.
But number 2 is Steve Young who was obviously a contemporary of Aikman and not modern day.

They have Staubach at 28 all-time, well ahead of Aikman who came 15 years later.
https://www.profootballhof.com/all-time-passer-rating/

PRF is a little more as you'd expect.
1 Aaron Rodgers 102.4 2005-2019 gnb
2 Russell Wilson 101.2 2012-2019 sea
3 Drew Brees 98.4 2001-2019 2TM
4 Tony Romo 97.1 2004-2016 dal
5 Tom Brady 97.0 2000-2019 nwe
Dak Prescott 97.0 2016-2019 dal

DFWJC

Reaction score
that is accurate on it's face but not really...
The NFL has Aaron Rodgers at all-time number 1. Totally fair.
But number 2 is Steve Young who was obviously a contemporary of Aikman and not modern day.

They have Staubach at 28 all-time, well ahead of Aikman who came 15 years later.
https://www.profootballhof.com/all-time-passer-rating/

PRF is a little more as you'd expect.
1 Aaron Rodgers 102.4 2005-2019 gnb
2 Russell Wilson 101.2 2012-2019 sea
3 Drew Brees 98.4 2001-2019 2TM
4 Tony Romo 97.1 2004-2016 dal
5 Tom Brady 97.0 2000-2019 nwe
Dak Prescott 97.0 2016-2019 dal
No...it's fairly accurate. Just go back and look at how QBs rating were vs their peers in each era.
Steve Young was the anomaly and Staubach, relative to his peers, was far better than Aikman QB ratings-wise.

Rodgers is a bit of anomaly too. Prorated, his average season is 2012, so his adjusted QB average is probably even further ahead of the pack the current pack, but maybe behind some of the guys in the 80s (like Montana) or even before.
Brady's 97 adjusted (ave year 2010) is probably at 106
Bree's about 107
Romo's about 105 or 106
Dak's is about 99 or so...still very good
etc

Straight unadjusted QB ratings have Jameis Winston ahead of Dan Marino, Aikman, Staubach, etc.
Adjusted and Marino is probably 100 slots higher than Winston, is my guess.

Guys like Otta Graham would be in something crazy like 118 or so...vs mid 80s.

Last edited:

basel90

Reaction score

this answers many who question Aikman stats compared to romo and dak . It is a different era and the offense has so much more advantage ( many more offense freindly new rules limiting defenders and protecting the QBs). This is why the QB stats are not a great indicator or a comparison criteria.

DFWJC

Reaction score
this answers many who question Aikman stats compared to romo and dak . It is a different era and the offense has so much more advantage ( many more offense freindly new rules limiting defenders and protecting the QBs). This is why the QB stats are not a great indicator or a comparison criteria.
No doubt. None whatsoever.

So much easier now to have a higher rating due to the nature of the offenses and the rules against the defense.
MUST compare QBs to their peers in the same era, then adjust to the current era. Otherwise, you have Sam Bradford ahead of Joe Montana, etc.

There are people that have made time adjusted rankings. They make 100% more sense.

The difference between 10 year spans declines the further you back though.
Ex.
Diff between 2010 to 2020 or 1990 to 2000 is greater than , say, 1970-1980 was. ...but still, 1970 to 2020 is massively different overall.

Last edited:

johneric8

Reaction score

But that said :
Romo was 5,5,8 and 8
Wentz has been 5,4,7,13

I quit reading after you said "I apologize in advance to the Dak lovers".. You're just another forum member suffering from Dak Dysfunction Syndrome! DDS is real, and requires consistent therapy and eye surgery to clear he vision problems. Good luck mate, may you be cleansed and your heart made full.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No...it's fairly accurate. Just go back and look at how QBs rating were vs their peers in each era.
Steve Young was the anomaly and Staubach, relative to his peers, was far better than Aikman QB ratings-wise.

Rodgers is a bit of anomaly too. Prorated, his average season is 2012, so his adjusted QB average is probably even further ahead of the pack the current pack, but maybe behind some of the guys in the 80s (like Montana) or even before.
Brady's 97 adjusted (ave year 2010) is probably at 106
Bree's about 107
Romo's about 105 or 106
Dak's is about 99 or so...still very good
etc

Straight unadjusted QB ratings have Jameis Winston ahead of Dan Marino, Aikman, Staubach, etc.
Adjusted and Marino is probably 100 slots higher than Winston, is my guess.

Guys like Otta Graham would be in something crazy like 118 or so...vs mid 80s.
Not really disagreeing with you per se but noting it is a bit more involved than that.
QB rating has largely changed due to rule changes. It's not a straight line adjustment of X years equals X points.

As passing has become more prevalent and necessary the ratings have gone up.

As to Winston well the QB rating is a bit of a wildcard stats that ignores a lot of negative plays like Winston's fumbles and charges him only a small negative for an INT that ends up a pick 6.
That's really more an issue with the scoring than it is an era discussion.

And again lots of sources have different scores.
Probably one I most trust copies pro football reference.
https://www.footballdb.com/leaders/career-passing-rating

It places Dak tied for 5th all-time.
And no I do not think Dak is the 5th best of all-time.
But it has him significantly ahead of his peers as well as just historic QBs.
And Aikman was far better on the field than his QB rating suggests. --probably why he created his own rating system.