Yet another way to get McFadden.......and this one makes ALOT of sense.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
First off, if you are tired of the McFadden talk, skip this thread. It is not for you.

Check this out............we all know the patriots stockpile draft picks. It seems every year they have two #1 picks. How do they do it? By trading back in the draft. Year after year they do it.

THey have the niners 1st rounder this year. Which could be a top 5 pick. The pats may not even be able to start a rookie on thier squad regardless of what pick they have. If I was pressed, I'd say they will be in the market for a Linebacker. Junior Seau is old as dirt, and teddi Bruschi aint' no spring chicken either.

A top 5 pick is way too high to draft a LB in this years crop, so it makes perfect sense to move back into the 15-20 area of the draft (browns pick).

We move up and take McFadden. Still retain our 1st round pick this year, and still have our 2nd rounder as well.

We would have to give up our 3rd rounder this year, and our 1st rounder next year.

If Jerry really covets this kid, I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal like this come draft day.

Its a helluva lot more likely than us trading two #1's.

burmafrd

Reaction score
huge fly in that ointment is the Pats willing to deal with us. Not likely. And what makes you think that those picks would be enough?

CowboyWay

Reaction score
burmafrd;1751638 said:
huge fly in that ointment is the Pats willing to deal with us. Not likely. And what makes you think that those picks would be enough?

Why wouldn't the pats deal with us? Jones and Kraft are quite civil to each other. Its not like Parcells is here and has to deal with Belicheck. Plus we're in a different division. Makes sense to me.

Also, I think it would be enough because I don't think the Pats want to pick that early. I would guess they'd take a LB (just my guess), and there isn't a linebacker coming out that would warrant a pick in the top 5. That would be a large motivating factor for them to do it.

In fact, how many kids in college right now, would be a starter on that team? I can't think of any.

Some people have them taking McFadden. I don't see it. Not with Maroney back there.

ayjackson

Reaction score
The Patriots will be looking to move out of that spot. Carpenter, the Browns #1 and our 2009 #1 could do it (maybe a third or fourth rounder thrown in).

It has been suggested at patsfans that if they can't move out of the spot, they might just let their clock run out and wait for other teams to run up and pick ahead of them - a la Minnesota a couple of years ago (except on purpose) - and then sqeeze their pick in when there's only one name left on their list.

dallasfan

Reaction score
ayjackson;1752233 said:
The Patriots will be looking to move out of that spot. Carpenter, the Browns #1 and our 2009 #1 could do it (maybe a third or fourth rounder thrown in).

It has been suggested at patsfans that if they can't move out of the spot, they might just let their clock run out and wait for other teams to run up and pick ahead of them - a la Minnesota a couple of years ago (except on purpose) - and then sqeeze their pick in when there's only one name left on their list.

All that will do is create a bad situation. Whoever gets taken at that pick will want #5 money, and whoever the pats ultimately pick will want #5 money.

CowboyWay

Reaction score
dallasfan;1752982 said:
All that will do is create a bad situation. Whoever gets taken at that pick will want #5 money, and whoever the pats ultimately pick will want #5 money.

I agree. THose things just don't work that way. When Minny did it a couple years ago and they tried to pay less. The agents laughed at them.

Same thing with the Eli and Rivers trade. Eli wanted #1 money cause he was drafted #1. Rivers wanted #1 money cause he was traded to the team with the #1 pick.

It was a cluster.......you know what.

ayjackson

Reaction score
I don't thinki it works with the Patriots though....far less leverage....they'll let 'em sit the whole season.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Pats may choose to trade down, but I can't imagine they'll want to trade all the way down to the 20s (which is where our best pick will be). Plus, this year's first + next year's first + this year's third = not enough to move into the top 5.

Reaction score
No matter how you slice it there's no way the Pats are going to gift wrap the best player in college football for us

dallasfan

Reaction score
I don't see where all this pats wanting McFadden comes from. Marooney has been productive when given the carries, and the only reason he hasn't scored is cuz the pats seem to pass in the redzone more than any other team. This team will either draft Kenny Phillips or trade down and draft a LB, cuz their LBs are struggling in coverege.

ayjackson

Reaction score
dallasfan;1754969 said:
I don't see where all this pats wanting McFadden comes from. Marooney has been productive when given the carries, and the only reason he hasn't scored is cuz the pats seem to pass in the redzone more than any other team. This team will either draft Kenny Phillips or trade down and draft a LB, cuz their LBs are struggling in coverege.

Pats want McFadden?? First I've heard of it. If the SF pick is top four, the Pats will trade down.

dallasfan

Reaction score
ayjackson;1754974 said:
Pats want McFadden?? First I've heard of it. If the SF pick is top four, the Pats will trade down.

at kffl.com forums the pats fans seem to believe they'll take him if available and it seem someone was hinting at the same logic.

CowboyWay

Reaction score
dallasfan;1754988 said:
at kffl.com forums the pats fans seem to believe they'll take him if available and it seem someone was hinting at the same logic.

Yeah, I don't see it either. Moroney was a first rounder a couple years ago too if I remember right, and like another poster said, when given the ball, he has been very good.

They have no needs that a top 5 pick would cure IMO.