CFZ You are defined by your biggest accomplishment in the playoffs

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
For every one of our fans complaining about a “lack of respect from the media” after our great win last night, just remember- we won’t be respected until we do something new in the playoffs. And that CAN happen this Sunday with another road win in a divisional playoff game this weekend. We haven’t won a divisional playoff game in 28 years.

So don’t worry about respect until we do something we haven’t done lately. I’m not minimizing our win! It was great. I’m thrilled. But folks we should have won that game last night. A 12 win team vs an 8 win team. We are better than the Bucs. And it was a wild card playoff win, which we have won 4 other times since our last divisional round win.

Again, respect is earned in the playoffs. Let a winning scoreboard do the talking. Hate to say my fellow fans, but we haven’t earned much respect- yet. Here’s hoping this time next week we’re talking about being in the NFC championship game. That will earn some respect.

Put it in even simpler terms...Do we want to be defined this year by just winning a wild card game? That’s cool. But that’s not much in the respect column.
1000% agreed

Pass2Run

Reaction score
A season loss is where we lose a substantial amount of games more than the previous year. like from 12-5 to 10-7

Where we lose talent , obvious talent, Key players, coaches without replacement

If I want to push it I could say one in where our trajectory goes in the wrong direction. We sucked Mike's first Year, The next year we were good but one and done, this year we are a little closer to our goal.

Let's say we went 9-8 missed the play offs, lost players with no replacements. That's a season lost , So it a season loss
I'll take being competitive for half or more of the next decade over a McVay, Rams homerun swing.

Hero to the zero, and fast. Those down seasons suck worse than anything. People like to remember the good things, but those days were awful, as a fan with an interest in at least making seasons interesting.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I guarantee you that every team remaining in the playoffs respect the Cowboys. Fans? They’re clueless.

I bet the 49ers are sitting around and laughing right now.

Nothing at all for them to worry about.

I’m right there with you. Thrilled about last night’s win, but a wild card win isn’t enough to wow anyone IMO.

That's implied. Every season, for every team, though. Isn't it? That's what the wildcard round is for. Single elimination now. Like a deathmatch, so to speak.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
@Bobhaze there really is nothing else to say, because your post is spot-on. We used to debate Aikman-Staubach, comparing Super Bowl wins and Super Bowl MVPs. Now our franchise is divided on defining which QB won a pair of playoff games more impressively.

Looking forward to the day the team is capable of once again elevating these sorts of discussions...

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'll take being competitive for half or more of the next decade over a McVay, Rams homerun swing.

Hero to the zero, and fast. Those down seasons suck worse than anything. People like to remember the good things, but those days were awful, as a fan with an interest in at least making seasons interesting.
I'm with you on the all-in approach. It worked magically for the Rams, and hats off to them. But I was one of many this time last year who thought it was a mistake to be so aggressive toward one season in a sport where a single player or two just doesn't make the kind of impact that they do in a sport like basketball. If the approach blows up on you ... it blows up big.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I bet the 49ers are sitting around and laughing right now.

Nothing at all for them to worry about.

That's implied. Every season, for every team, though. Isn't it? That's what the wildcard round is for. Single elimination now. Like a deathmatch, so to speak.
I hope they are.

Blitzen

Reaction score
A season loss is where we lose a substantial amount of games more than the previous year. like from 12-5 to 10-7

Where we lose talent , obvious talent, Key players, coaches without replacement

If I want to push it I could say one in where our trajectory goes in the wrong direction. We sucked Mike's first Year, The next year we were good but one and done, this year we are a little closer to our goal.

Let's say we went 9-8 missed the play offs, lost players with no replacements. That's a season lost , So it a season loss
I understand. I think what the OP is saying is this would kinda be more of a plateau season instead of upward trajectory with a loss to the 49ers. I tend to agree, and mainly because of the overall age of the core of the team and lack of overall NFC strength. The win yesterday was highly enjoyable, but to show real progress and understanding of fleeting time the squad needs to win that game in San Francisco.

Scott Van Pelt was asking Troy Aikman after the game if a game like yesterday can help propel a team forward (referencing the 1992 game Dallas vs San Francisco). He said “yes, to an extent.” He also added that the NFCCG is more pressure than the divisional round and the Super Bowl is more pressure than the CCG. He continued that he was aware that the bar is very high in Dallas because of what Staubach and his teams accomplished.

This is the best chance Dak and the Cowboys have had since 1996. Time to take advantage-no telling what the future holds or what awaits Dallas next season.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I hear
I understand. I think what the OP is saying is this would kinda be more of a plateau season instead of upward trajectory with a loss to the 49ers. I tend to agree, and mainly because of the overall age of the core of the team and lack of overall NFC strength. The win yesterday was highly enjoyable, but to show real progress and understanding of fleeting time the squad needs to win that game in San Francisco.

Scott Van Pelt was asking Troy Aikman after the game if a game like yesterday can help propel a team forward (referencing the 1992 game Dallas vs San Francisco). He said “yes, to an extent.” He also added that the NFCCG is more pressure than the divisional round and the Super Bowl is more pressure than the CCG. He continued that he was aware that the bar is very high in Dallas because of what Staubach and his teams accomplished.

This is the best chance Dak and the Cowboys have had since 1996. Time to take advantage-no telling what the future holds or what awaits Dallas next season.
I hear ya, I would say its upward motion. It may not be as fast a we would have but we've already beat last year we won't be one and done. That's the only point I'm making. That's a win from where I sit.

As far as the bar, I never put too much stock into that. Like I said in another thread It's a legacy not a Competition. Roger and Troy set a standard Dak would serve himself well if he didn't play against that standard IE try

to be better, but try to play as close to that standard as possible

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well said.

The win in Tampa was big in the sense it broke the road playoff win drought. Hard to believe that Mike McCarthy now joins Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson as the ONLY Cowboys HCs to win road playoff games.

But having said that it was still a Wild card game. Important for sure and worth celebrating. But if we are going to win respect, that starts with beating SF Sunday.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Well said.

The win in Tampa was big in the sense it broke the road playoff win drought. Hard to believe that Mike McCarthy now joins Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson as the ONLY Cowboys HCs to win road playoff games.

But having said that it was still a Wild card game. Important for sure and worth celebrating. But if we are going to win respect, that starts with beating SF Sunday.
Bingo. Get to the NFCCG and I'll start to believe. Until that happens, we've seen this act before in the 21st century.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
OP is correct. It is about more then winning a Wildcard game for the Cowboys. The Dallas Cowboys are about Super Bowls. San Francisco is probably the most talented team in the league. Certainly the most physical. This is the game that Dak was paid top dollar to win. This is the game that the Cowboys decided to move on from Amari, Gregory and La’el. This is the game that we decided to draft Tyler and Sam for. This is the game that we traded for Hankins. This is the game that Diggs and Lamb earn their extensions. 49ers vs Cowboys the rematch. My prediction: Pain and punishment!!!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OP is correct. It is about more then winning a Wildcard game for the Cowboys. The Dallas Cowboys are about Super Bowls. San Francisco is probably the most talented team in the league. Certainly the most physical. This is the game that Dak was paid top dollar to win. This is the game that the Cowboys decided to move on from Amari, Gregory and La’el. This is the game that we decided to draft Tyler and Sam for. This is the game that we traded for Hankins. This is the game that Diggs and Lamb earn their extensions. 49ers vs Cowboys the rematch. My prediction: Pain and punishment!!!!
This is the game we haven’t won since Dak was 2 years old. This game can bury a lot of ghosts. Or perpetuate them.

foofighters

Reaction score
For every one of our fans complaining about a “lack of respect from the media” after our great win last night, just remember- we won’t be respected until we do something new in the playoffs. And that CAN happen this Sunday with another road win in a divisional playoff game this weekend. We haven’t won a divisional playoff game in 28 years.

So don’t worry about respect until we do something we haven’t done lately. I’m not minimizing our win! It was great. I’m thrilled. But folks we should have won that game last night. A 12 win team vs an 8 win team. We are better than the Bucs. And it was a wild card playoff win, which we have won 4 other times since our last divisional round win.

Again, respect is earned in the playoffs. Let a winning scoreboard do the talking. Hate to say my fellow fans, but we haven’t earned much respect- yet. Here’s hoping this time next week we’re talking about being in the NFC championship game. That will earn some respect.

Put it in even simpler terms...Do we want to be defined this year by just winning a wild card game? That’s cool. But that’s not much in the respect column.
Agreed. I really don't understand why some of us just have to have our team validated by the media.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. I really don't understand why some of us just have to have our team validated by the media.
Jerry feeds some of that stuff with his insistence that just “being in the conversation”, being “#1 in Forbes“ or having high TV ratings is a type of success. The owner and face of this franchise acts like this team has already accomplished something every year and sadly that has rubbed off on some fans. Hopefully this year’s team has not bought that garbage.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I personalize my evaluation of what kind of season it was and have not bought into that ”most talented team” I used to see.

Others’ opinions on what kind of season it was don’t appeal to me and I always begin with did they over or underachieve based on my estimation of the talent level and coaching.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
You say it much nicer than I would. Stars off the helmets until you get to a Super Bowl, NFC Championship game, and win your division. This is the Cowboy Way. THIS IS THE WAY!

75boyz

Reaction score
This coach has coached a team to winning the ultimate prize.

I look forward to seeing if he can do his job by setting the example on how to accomplish this again.

Or not.