CFZ You Are Not That Good - Draft Players and Make Them Good Players

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Many have been saying the Arlington Jonesboys should do what the Rams did in trading picks and getting Pro Players to have a Super Bowl run.

This will not work because the Arlington Jonesboys are not as good as the 2018 or 2021 Rams being a couple of players away from the Super Bowl. There is no dominate player on the DL especially at DT, There is no dominate player in the secondary. There is no dominate player at QB. There is now no dominate player on the OL. There is no dominate player at WR or TE. There is one dominate player on the team and he is at LB, Micah Parsons.

The issue with Parsons is that you need him at MLB, DE, and OLB to make up for having good players but not dominate player everywhere else.

The Cowboys should stick to the script of building a defense with this draft as they did in 2021. Once they have added more good players, their good players from the 2021 draft will become very good, and one beside Parsons may become dominate. This can be said about the offense. But it took a major step back trading very good possible becoming dominating WR, Amari Cooper. However, the real need is to add to the defense.

Once you have good players, very good players, 1-2 dominating players on offense, and 1-2 on defense, then you can look at adding a dominating player giving away draft picks. Remember the Rams had a Super Bowl team before trading for Stafford, Miller, and when they traded for Ramsey, they did not make the playoffs that year. So they had a dominating RB, DT, on the 2018 Super Bowl Team and then a dominating DT, CB, QB, DE on the 2021 Super Bowl Team all surrounded by good and very good players.

Case in point is why the Cowboys change so quickly to a Super Bowl Team with trading for dominating player Charles Haley. This is because they a drafted good players who became very good players. Having so many of the good draft picks becoming very good, they made the playoffs, and won a wild card game on the road the year before Haley. On offense they had a QB, OL, RB, and WR that were dominating players and acquired them through the draft like the defensive players.

So this Arlington Jonesboys team is not good enough for a Rams trade away draft picks for a Super Bowl strategy. Stay the course on defense and offense drafting good players, have them develop into good players, very good or dominating players. Then when you have a consistent playoff contender, go get your dominating player to get over the hump. It can be done through the draft like the Dallas Cowboys did with Tony Dorsett or trade like Charles Haley only when they were one dominate player away.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
A good player in college may not be a good player in the pros. So how do you go about getting these good college players?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
A good player in college may not be a good player in the pros. So how do you go about getting these good college players?
You better get em,, you better be able to obtain top talent franchise level talent from the draft or you end up not winning anything significant for going on 30 years,,,,
Wait a minute here,, everyone knows I endorse McClay 150 percent all day, and by no means degrading the talent he has directed this FO with, and I use the term "directed" as what has been his role.
McClay has been lining the board up for years, but a bit of FF land was taking place, but watching last years draft I was seeing more respect being given to him, and working with Quinn, which will have a huge influence on this draft.
May surprise alot of us that are expecting a Zion Johnson early.
Wouldnt upset me either way, se need the OL, but there will be some nice defensive pieces that Quinn can put to use at 24 also.
Jones wins again,, The Cowboys always win my interest, I love the prelude to the draft, and love the draft because we might get to see a glimpse or two of some respect being issued.
Maybe.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That's not nice Mr Typhus!
It just made me think back to a party I was at, and like a big dummy that I am, I set down probably the first expensive pair of ray blockers I could afford, and I sit them down on the chair like a lummox, kiss this nice girl, and get so
infatuated and lost that I set right down on those bad boys.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It just made me think back to a party I was at, and like a big dummy that I am, I set down probably the first expensive pair of ray blockers I could afford, and I sit them down on the chair like a lummox, kiss this nice girl, and get so
infatuated and lost that I set right down on those bad boys.
That was an expensive kiss!! Lol

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
You better get em,, you better be able to obtain top talent franchise level talent from the draft or you end up not winning anything significant for going on 30 years,,,,
Wait a minute here,, everyone knows I endorse McClay 150 percent all day, and by no means degrading the talent he has directed this FO with, and I use the term "directed" as what has been his role.
McClay has been lining the board up for years, but a bit of FF land was taking place, but watching last years draft I was seeing more respect being given to him, and working with Quinn, which will have a huge influence on this draft.
May surprise alot of us that are expecting a Zion Johnson early.
Wouldnt upset me either way, se need the OL, but there will be some nice defensive pieces that Quinn can put to use at 24 also.
Jones wins again,, The Cowboys always win my interest, I love the prelude to the draft, and love the draft because we might get to see a glimpse or two of some respect being issued.
Maybe.
You ever heard of the expression easier said than done. It's not like the Cowboys are the only team that have drafted bust in the early rounds.

Besides talent isn't everything. There are several QB's that are more talented than Brady. Jarvis Landry allegedly had no talent. Barry Sanders was more talented than Emmitt. Zeke is more talented than Derrick Henry. So takent isn't everything. I'd say team chemistry is more important than talent.