You Are The Coach. You Trust Your QB. What's Your Call?

What is your pre-play instruction based upon possible press coverage?

  • "Automatically throw the ball away"

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    43
  • This poll will close: .
Pre-apologies for the clip visual quality but it is not easy creating large animated gifs avoid having a significant drain on the site. I understand that you have included other peoples' opinions in your conclusion. That said, I would like your opinion of exactly when do you see either the field judge or side judge made any motion towards reaching for their flags:

8JVTf2L.gif
'cause people that have video where they can absolutely see the referee back there reaching as if he was posturing for it he was staring at it had that ball being completed you don't know if that would have happened So now I don't want your ugly video people who actually had but you tell me that's not a push up the DP went like two yards he flew into the backfield it was quite obvious and George does it all the time People want to pick on our new corner says he sue physical well so is George Pickens and he's known for it around the league including the referees i'm saying it's always a possibility you all are nitpicking a loss that already happened when we already 24 hours before the next game it is ridiculous..
 
I’m

in the locker room, probably I’ll agree with that
Game day, I think they pretty much stay to their respected side of the football
I can’t remember a quarterback, going over to the defense during a game and giving instructions
Maybe confidence a pat on the back like go get them guys or something, but
Yes, I understand your point
I agree that usually doesn't happen, but I wouldn't blame a quarterback offering words of support to the defense. But to me the QB is the leader of the team, what he does can inflate or deflate a defense. In fact, both offense and defense had stepped it up in the game. You don't think throwing it away in some way deflates the defense after the effort they put in. Why should it be surprising that the next series they don't play inspired football? If we can't even name the leader on defense, who made sure to let the defense know we did a throw away because we have faith you will stop the other team? With this team, I don't even know anybody would.
 
So do you think that Dak was told to never audible out of a play?

Absolutely not, but im sure he probably just followed the coach's instruction, knowing we were already in fg range and knew the capability we had as an offense, believing we would have an overtime to play in.

Im pretty sure if he knew that the Ravens would complete a 27 yard pass play in 6 seconds shortly after that, he probably would have audibled out of it and took a chance.

Here's the thing though. Let's say Dak would have extended the play and got sacked, then game over.... then during the post game, it was revealed that Schotty told him to clock it if the first read wasn't opened and he got sacked and actually single-handedly loss the game?

The same people here who blamed him for throwing it away, despite the coach's orders, would be the same people here saying, "why didn't he throw it away like the coach told him to knowing we didn't have any timeouts left"?

Im not saying you're one of those people, but there's a crowd of people here who aren't very smart when it comes to evaluating NFL talent and understanding how football is played.... and im doing them a HUGE favor by describing them as "aren't very smart". Its actually much worse than that as far as their intelligence goes.

With that said, Dak is damned if he do, damned if he don't. No matter what Dak does, when Dallas lose games, those same extremely low IQ crowds are going to point fingers at him first, no matter how the Cowboys lose.
 
I agree that usually doesn't happen, but I wouldn't blame a quarterback offering words of support to the defense. But to me the QB is the leader of the team, what he does can inflate or deflate a defense. In fact, both offense and defense had stepped it up in the game. You don't think throwing it away in some way deflates the defense after the effort they put in. Why should it be surprising that the next series they don't play inspired football? If we can't even name the leader on defense, who made sure to let the defense know we did a throw away because we have faith you will stop the other team? With this team, I don't even know anybody would.
I’ve already stated, if I’m a player, I have to put my body on the line, risk in injuries, and anything else, only to have some thing I can’t control lose the game
This was a war, we won some battles, but we lost the war because of on the job training. In my opinion, Prescott had no blame in this whatsoever in my opinion.
Illegal motion, fumbling the football on a great drive, not kicking the ball into the field of play, after you tied it, I could go on, and on with all the mistakes in this game, that we were controllable, shuffle pass to the freaking tight end, I’m getting mad again sorry lol I’m so pissed. I could spit nails we lost this game.

We’re running the ball down their throats, and then we go for three passes into the end zone, and have to kick the first field goal
 
I think Coach finds a way to lose this game, even if it went into overtime
There, that’s the end of that, for me
 
Coaches commonly say "if it's not there...throw it away".

No coach would just say throw it away...they could just have the QB take a knee if they didn't want to run a play.

People are overlooking the pass rushers being blocked by the RT and RG.
- The pass rushers and blockers are directly in the path of where the pass needed to go.
- The RT's back is almost touching Dak at the point he releases the ball.
inface.png
 
Brian Schottenheimer said he overcoached his quarterback and admitted his mistake (link). He said he trusts and acknowledges his quarterback, "...doesn't play the game that way (link)."

Obviously, Schottenheimer cautioned his quarterback not throw based on what he saw. Below is a split-screen. On the left is third-and-goal, from the five, right hash mark, fourth quarter, last Sunday. Pre-snap read: Nate Wiggins has press coverage on George Pickens. On the right is second-and-goal, from the five, right hash mark, first quarter, December 2024. Pre-snap read: DaRon Bland allows a 4-yard cushion on Ja'Marr Chase:

nb6HdgA.gif


How would you coach your quarterback before the down based on the pre-snap look?
First, trying to compare the decision making in the first quarter to the game situation in this particular game is just silly.

Obviously he trust the QB or he wouldn't have called pass plays the previous 2.
I'm guessing the immediate pressure on the previous play that necessitated the scramble and burning of the timeout reduced his trust in the OL, accerbated after having to throw a guy out there who has never taken a snap with them in a game.
The decision was made to snap the ball and throw it away, burning a second or 2 in the process and kick the field goal.
Personally I would have preferred they take 2 legit shots at the end zone and if they lose they lose. They chose to go conservative.

The false start killed the momentum and led to the the emotional let down along the line that led to the jailbreak on the scramble!
 
You show your trust in your qb by saying use your best judgement
For all those claiming that Dak is Elite, well I would be insulted if my Head Coach told my Elite Quarterback to throw it away, instead of trusting him. The ironic thing is, those who believe him to be elite, are using that excuse because it fits their narrative.
 
Brian Schottenheimer said he overcoached his quarterback and admitted his mistake (link). He said he trusts and acknowledges his quarterback, "...doesn't play the game that way (link)."

Obviously, Schottenheimer cautioned his quarterback not throw based on what he saw. Below is a split-screen. On the left is third-and-goal, from the five, right hash mark, fourth quarter, last Sunday. Pre-snap read: Nate Wiggins has press coverage on George Pickens. On the right is second-and-goal, from the five, right hash mark, first quarter, December 2024. Pre-snap read: DaRon Bland allows a 4-yard cushion on Ja'Marr Chase:

nb6HdgA.gif


How would you coach your quarterback before the down based on the pre-snap look?
Ummmm

Not the same situation in videos.
 
Schotty probably said to Dak what every single coach would say down 3 with no TO and 10 secs

Drop back
See if someone open
Throw it away if not
Do not let the clock run out and do not take a sack

Simple

The reality is that Dak panicked as he usually does under pressure and instead of understanding that he could wait a bit more, he threw it away thus costing us a chance to win the game

The defense lost us the game in the next 7 secs BUT Dak was the reason we did not win
 
'cause people that have video where they can absolutely see the referee back there reaching as if he was posturing for it he was staring at it had that ball being completed you don't know if that would have happened So now I don't want your ugly video people who actually had but you tell me that's not a push up the DP went like two yards he flew into the backfield it was quite obvious and George does it all the time People want to pick on our new corner says he sue physical well so is George Pickens and he's known for it around the league including the referees i'm saying it's always a possibility you all are nitpicking a loss that already happened when we already 24 hours before the next game it is ridiculous..
Yes. My video is ugly. Can you re-post a video from these 'people' you are repeatingly referring to? Yes or no? If yes, feel free to post it in this thread for everyone to review and cast their own opinion from a more high quality version.
 
Well, the coach said himself, he told Prescott to throw it away, so you’re calling the coach a liar
This early in the season...He is falling on the grenade for Dak and his fragile glass eyes phyche
 
For the same reason kick the ball into the end zone, rather than in the field of play .and let the clock run down, because are head coach is freaking dizzy
Dak did that so fast, he really didn't run down the clock, which is also something I question on the intent and execution of that play. Why not scan the field, take some time off the clock, and then if nothing is there throw it away? Not letting the clock run down, also contributed to the loss, considering the amount of time at the end when the game winning field goal was made.
 
This early in the season...He is falling on the grenade for Dak and his fragile glass eyes phyche

I just think some people have an agenda, and they’re going to blame the quarterback and that’s just all there is to it, but even if you do blame Prescott, it was coached that eventually lost the game anyways
By letting the kicker kick the ball in the end zone rather than the field of play
 
Dak did that so fast, he really didn't run down the clock, which is also something I question on the intent and execution of that play. Why not scan the field, take some time off the clock, and then if nothing is there throw it away? Not letting the clock run down, also contributed to the loss, considering the amount of time at the end when the game winning field goal was made.
We already missed a field goal, intentional, grounding, fumbling the football, I don’t know why he just didn’t take a knee

But this play ultimately did not lose the game
It didn’t win it, but it’s not why we lost
Kicking the ball into the end zone without taking time off the clock is why we lost, no opportunity for overtime
 
Dak did that so fast, he really didn't run down the clock, which is also something I question on the intent and execution of that play. Why not scan the field, take some time off the clock, and then if nothing is there throw it away? Not letting the clock run down, also contributed to the loss, considering the amount of time at the end when the game winning field goal was made.
I was so freaking mad I could spit nails, I lost my voice for four days
And I’ve been a fan since the 60s,
And I still scream at the TV lol
I love this game. I’ll let you know you’re alive.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,060
Messages
14,660,195
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top