CFZ You are the GM. If you replace Dak next year, who is the improvement?

FTWayne

Reaction score
why can't some fans see that nothing has changed? this is the same team as always, and why can't the defense carry Dak, like it was reported they did for Rush?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Haven't studied all the QB's coming out yet, but many of those mentioned towards the top of the draft I don't like for the pros. Esp Bryce Young.

Definitely think we should draft one, just not sure who or where in the draft yet.
Totally agree with you, Bryce Young is like Kyler Murray light.

slick325

Reaction score
Since Prescott has a contract through 2023, the time to draft a possible replacement is in this draft in the 1st round and set the tone.

However, the owner will never bring the hammer into camp because the bloom would be off his rose. And who knows how Prescott would respond? Some of these coddled babies are so ego fragile that they can't stand the heat. Not saying he is one but no one knows until that happens.

That said, the one thing I would do is sit down with him prior to the draft and explain that so far, the 3/4 of the 160M has not paid off and for the team, all options have to be kept open. Where these teams get in trouble is blindsiding and embarrassing their QB.......with the fragile ego.

This would be the prudent play. But, I don't see Jerry and Stephen doing that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So suppose for a second Big Mac went ‘LA Rams’ on Dak and shocked the world by trading his franchise QB because he knew the person he was getting was far better? And remember, the goal is next year to win it all.

Are there any Staffords left? Borderline elite QBs with cap friendly contracts? All quarterbacks signed after Dak are going to seriously hurt any team that trade them away no matter what we offered them. Teams don’t just give away franchise quarterbacks.

Biggest name free agent is probably Lamar Jackson? Would you give him the giant contract the Ravens won’t…. And can the team even afford it?

Cooper’s days are at an end if this is how our defense plays now. Frustrating that last year at the halfway point the NFL figured out our top 3 offense, this year it’s the top 3 defense.

You can spend a top draft pick but now you’re going to have to wait for development. Better make sure there is another solid running back too, because Zeke won’t be around with that salary.

And if you’re feeling like a gambler, are you going to see if you’re the next team to find a Geno Smith? Who is that next guy who rises from the bench into stardom?
There are only about 6 guys on the planet that would improve our qb play. Good luck getting one,

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You start by drafting a QB with a premium pick, you know, like we did with Troy Aikman in 1989. If that QB doesn't show much by the time his rookie contract is up you draft his replacement. Rinse repeat until you hit the jackpot which should be once per decade on average.

That is at least a plan with a chance. Jonesin' hasn't been working.

lol…….poof, you use a high pick. Rinse and repeat?

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao:

Cmac

Reaction score
Now the door has come of the hinges with this one.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yep, he was exactly who I was thinking of.

I bet Bryce Young doesn't even measure 5'10 at the combine.

I’m betting he measures under 6’ and under 200 pounds.

I would not draft early in the 1st.

Bing

Reaction score
You draft a QB in the first round period, that way you get the 5th year option if you need it. maybe we can add the 5th round pick Jerry will squeeze out of another team for Dak to move up a spot...

Last edited:

DalFan75

Reaction score
You draft a QB in the first round period, that way you get the 5th year option if you need it. maybe we can add the 5th round pick Jerry will squeeze out of another team for Dak to move up a spot...

Not if the player isn't worth it you don't.

The 5th yr option is great, but if you draft a lousy talent you never get to that 5th yr option.

RS12

Reaction score
They are stuck with him in 23. Figure out a way to get Drake Maye in 24. He could elevate this franchise big time. Go all in, do what it takes.

shabazz

Reaction score
Depends, if Jerry sends his boys with baseball bats maybe Dak can be persuaded.

Could be good for Dak too. If he agreed to go to the Panthers he automatically gets a better WR corp and a stout defense

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't replace Dak outright. How do I know if the next guy is going to be any better?

I draft another QB, because that's all I can afford to do unless I cut Dak and gamble on somebody else's backup. I draft a QB in one of the top three rounds and then I allow them to compete. In fact, my philosophy would be to always create competition at the QB position. I would draft a QB in the top three rounds every three years.

If I do this then I never have to worry about ridiculous contracts. in the case of injury, there would also be less of a drop-off in talent. Also, I would have some quality trade capitol to play around with.

The Cowboys need to keep away from the concept of "franchise" quarterbacks in the future.

Merlin

Reaction score
Could have drafted Malik Willis in the 3rd this year. Big arm and can run.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
1st round QB in 2023 or 2024 (whoever is there). We have to learn to make the most of Dak's contract and that means drafting his successor and having the luxury of sitting him for a year or two. Dak is going nowhere and will continue to do enough to beat up on bad teams and keep them in the playoff race every year. But that's not a bad thing for a young QB to sit like Rodgers and Romo who waited 3 years before becoming a starter.