You can forget about Weis

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Weis will be cursed with many many 9-3 and 10-2 seasons. Darn shame, he could be a great NFL coach.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
For now.

A few weeks ago, Nick Saban supposedly had no desire to go to Alabama.

Now, he's probably going to take the job.

This is your run-of-the-mill denial.

Doesn't mean much overall.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Alexander;1283204 said:
For now.

A few weeks ago, Nick Saban supposedly had no desire to go to Alabama.

Now, he's probably going to take the job.

This is your run-of-the-mill denial.

Doesn't mean much overall.

Now now Al, Weis said not all coaches are liars.

Alexander

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1283211 said:
Now now Al, Weis said not all coaches are liars.

There really isn't much there that he couldn't backtrack on and it really wouldn't be "lying".

"I plan on being here until [his son] Charlie graduates from Notre Dame, and Charlie is in the eighth grade," Weis said. "Hopefully after that, we'll have enough money to be sitting on a beach somewhere sipping pina coladas."

Well, plans can change. Especially if someone, relatively soon, throws enough money at him to expedite that sitting on the beach activity.

I don't think the Giants would.

But someone else might.:D

burmafrd

Reaction score
Some people will believe what they want to believe no matter if there is nothing to back them up at all. Weis can say this 100 times a year for the next 10 years and idiots will still say he is lying. They will say he is going to jump next year for 10 years in a row; no matter how stupid they sound they believe it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;1283217 said:
There really isn't much there that he couldn't backtrack on and it really wouldn't be "lying".

"I plan on being here until [his son] Charlie graduates from Notre Dame, and Charlie is in the eighth grade," Weis said. "Hopefully after that, we'll have enough money to be sitting on a beach somewhere sipping pina coladas."

Well, plans can change. Especially if someone, relatively soon, throws enough money at him to expedite that sitting on the beach activity.

I don't think the Giants would.

But someone else might.:D

Well, that team would have to pay him and Notre Dame. Not chump change, either.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
Notre Dame will fire him after a few mediocre seasons. They have zero patience over there.

burmafrd

Reaction score
$15 million buyout pretty much dampens things. Then add the at least $4 million you would have to pay him a year to match what he is making right now. Probably Danny Boy is the only one dumb enough to pay that much money; but I am confident that the ONLY Pro job HE MIGHT be interested in is the Giants. In about 8 years.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Give him a couple of years to upgrade the talent (and his class for this coming year is already a lot better then any of Losinghams classes) and Charlie will be winning it all.

lkelly

Reaction score
I'd like for him to be fired for planting the image in my mind of him sitting on a beach wearing a bathing suit.

Deputy493

Reaction score
ManicDepressiveMan;1283184 said:
If we go the college route, I want Kirk Ferentz.

Why?

He coached an underacheiving team this year as well......may as well keep Tuna in that scenario.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Deputy493;1283358 said:
Why?

He coached an underacheiving team this year as well......may as well keep Tuna in that scenario.

Yeah, their only loses were to Michigan and USC. How is that under achieving?

Ratmatt

Reaction score
College coaches have to say those things for recruiting purposes.

Alexander

Reaction score
Wrangler87;1283426 said:
Yeah, their only loses were to Michigan and USC. How is that under achieving?

Had they lost to Georgia Tech and Michigan State, that would be underachieving. But they won both contests.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Ferrentz had a real bad season; and he was to blame for at least some of it. the Blume is certainly off of him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;1283231 said:
$15 million buyout pretty much dampens things. Then add the at least $4 million you would have to pay him a year to match what he is making right now. Probably Danny Boy is the only one dumb enough to pay that much money; but I am confident that the ONLY Pro job HE MIGHT be interested in is the Giants. In about 8 years.
You still haven't shown anything that states that there is a $15 mil buyout. You showed maybe some speculation.

But it is what it is... Alex said it best. As early as 12/21, Saban was saying, "I have absolutely no desire to go to Alabama" And then yesterday, "Well, lemme think about it, and I'll let you know by 10 tomorrow"

These guys really shouldn't pigeonhole themselves like that. Just say you're satisfied with your current situation and leave it at that.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The article listed at the top of this thread, as regards the contract. It was known that CWs first contract had onlya $1.5 mil buyout. White, the ND AD flat out said that the new contract was designed to make it very hard for any pro team to buy it out. The $15 million dollar figure was mentioned many times and no one has ever denied it. Other contracts of about the same 30-40 million dollar range had buyouts of around 25 to 40% of total contract value. So if the contract is a total value of $35 million (which seems to be accepted) the normal buyout would be between 8 and 14 million. Since White emphasized the difficulty part, it was speculated at the time that the buyout was higher then that- maybe up to 50%. Rumors abounded about the $15 million number- and no one has denied it, and as a ND fan I haunted the boards and forums and elsewhere during that period. Putting all the hints and such together that is why pretty much everyone in ND nation accepts that figure.