You can forget Jaylon Smith in the 2nd round

RS12

Reaction score
Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith suffered a devastating knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl loss to Ohio State, but that didn't deter him from forgoing his senior season and declaring himself eligible for the 2016 NFL Draft.

There has been much speculation regarding how much of an effect the injury will have on his draft stock as the 6-foot-3, 235-pounder was previously projected as an early first round pick.

But it doesn't look like Smith will fall very far as an AFC scouting director tells NFL Media's Albert Breer that he believes the worst-case scenario for Smith is the No. 18 pick to the Indianapolis Colts.

"He's fast, athletic, instinctive and versatile," the director said via NFL.com. "He can close quickly against the run and shows very good athletic ability and speed in coverage."

http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt...on-Smith-unlikely-to-fall-past-No-18-42862778

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
Guy will most likely red shirt first year. Wouldn't call it a lock to still go in 1st

egn22

Reaction score
Okay forgotten. Plenty of other options and I love our spot in the 2nd

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
A report from a Notre Dame site saying he won't fall far? Color me shocked.

That said, he could be like Cedric Ogbuehi last year who the Bengals took knowing he would be in rehab for a while. Taken by a contender that could afford to stash him for a year if necessary due to their depth and/or contract situations for the season.

I don't think we are in that position.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I'd be okay with QB in the 1st and Smith in the 2nd. We wouldn't get anything out of our top 2 picks but at least our future would be much brighter.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Should be a lot of talent at #34. I wouldn't want to take a probably redshirt on a guy who may not be the same again with the other talent that will be available.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'd take him. He's going to be a good pro. Will he be Patrick Willis? Who knows, but he reminds me of him.

For the record, Gurley tore his ACL in November of 2014 and was cleared to play in 9 months (and 10 days) playing all 16 games.

That'd put Jaylons recovery about 3 weeks into the season. PUP him and get him up to speed. LB is also a position where a rookie can come in and excel. If he's even in Shaziers ballpark his rookie year, our LB's just vastly improved.

I think he's worth it. By far BPA at our 2nd round pick, in my opinion. I think he's going to be a really good player.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Gurley didn't play all 16 games
I'd take him. He's going to be a good pro. Will he be Patrick Willis? Who knows, but he reminds me of him.

For the record, Gurley tore his ACL in November of 2014 and was cleared to play in 9 months (and 10 days) playing all 16 games.

That'd put Jaylons recovery about 3 weeks into the season. PUP him and get him up to speed. LB is also a position where a rookie can come in and excel. If he's even in Shaziers ballpark his rookie year, our LB's just vastly improved.

I think he's worth it. By far BPA at our 2nd round pick, in my opinion. I think he's going to be a really good player.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Gurley didn't play all 16 games

My bad. What was it, 12-13?

Still, semantics. He came in off an ACL and managed to be one of the best RB's in football his rookie year. He was medically cleared to practice in August. Point being, Jaylon could come in and contribute during the season.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Still, semantics. He came in off an ACL and managed to be one of the best RB's in football his rookie year. He was medically cleared to practice in August. Point being, Jaylon could come in and contribute during the season.

Jaylon Smith tore ACL and LCL. That said, his surgery was completed in early-mid October by world renowned Dr. James Andrews, yes that makes a difference, and he is a phenomenally conditioned athlete. I don't think he sees PUP at all.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Oh I agree with you though

gmoney112

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith tore ACL and LCL. That said, his surgery was completed in early-mid October by world renowned Dr. James Andrews, yes that makes a difference, and he is a phenomenally conditioned athlete. I don't think he sees PUP at all.

His surgery was actually a few weeks ago which throws off the timeline you're thinking of a bit.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

Actually the surgery was performed by the Cowboys team Dr., Dr. Cooper. And Jaylon's brother plays for the Cowboys.

basstapp

Reaction score
Im not sure the GM for the colts is going to want to red shirt a player for a year and not get an impact player right off the bat. I think we have a good chance of him being there for our second.