You can't play Nickel from a 3-4

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I think if an offense saw the defense lines up in a 3-3-5, they’re gonna audible run

T-RO

Reaction score
I gotta be true to my brothers and say it more strongly:
If XWalker tries to explain football...run, hide, protect the children.

This is one of the most embarrassing threads I've ever seen. Your football IQ will drop 20 points reading this thread.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
No, 3-4 is a stronger run defense alignment.

To go from the 4-2-5 Nickel:
3-4: Replace Nickel CB with 320+ NT.

4:3: Replace Nickel CB with 240ish pound LB.

X i have respected your post in the past, but this one has me lost!

DanA

Reaction score
I think if an offense saw the defense lines up in a 3-3-5, they’re gonna audible run

Not if the linebackers are Micah Parsons, Devin Bush and Donte Hightower. My point being that 3-4 vs 4-3 is kind of irrelevant, it's about the players you have. You can't just apply a cookie cutter, just look at the Patriots in 2019 or Panthers this season.

cffl2323

Reaction score
Back in the 90's there could've been an argument on which defense, 3-4 or 4-3, was better suited for run/pass, but in today's NFL neither are really pass defending alignments, correct? And that is 100% a question, not a statement.

Edit: I'm sure even the above could be argued til blue in the face, but I guess what I'm asking is if you are fairly certain a pass is coming, very few coordinators are putting a 4-3 or 3-4 alignment out there. It's almost exclusively nickel or dime.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Are you sure we can't play a 34 nickel? I wouldn't mind having 12 players on defense.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always heard that the 3-4 was susceptible to the run. I admit, I have no idea.
It's a great defense....gives you more room for stunts and alignment shifts....we just don't have the right personal up front.....yet.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Base alignment no longer matters as good DC's are mixing things up. Good offenses will eat a team that just emplays 1-2 looks with little variences.