You can't say you didn't see it coming

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1902958 said:
And before halftime, what was that? The 10:00 drive should have been the backbreaker. But, wow, i dunno how you can think for a second the defense played well.
It was Jacques Reeves.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1902963 said:
Last i checked, he plays defense for the Cowboys.
Sorry, I thought I stated in this thread that the defense played well except for one player - Jacques Reeves. It must have been another thread.

shanetrain1973

Reaction score
playmakers;1902491 said:
I know but if your getting killed one way how can you not switch just to see if you have something. I mean we stopped the G-men when we switched late in the 4th today. Your a Skins fan I assume by your name, remember how easy Campbell had it here in Dallas. He drove up and down the field hitting wide open guys. I even said that game resemble a defense that you would play in a preseason game on here. Thats how vanilla it was. How many deep ones did Campbell have? Im talking 20 plus. Not many if at all.

Is it so hard to say Newman you have Toomer man up. Henry, your bumping and running with Burries while you have saftey help, Reeves has Smith with help in Nickel. But, were running Greg Ellis from one side of the field to the other and playing db's 12 yards off the ball. Its basically a no guts defense and it would of showed it colors earlier if it wasnt for our amazing offense.
I thought that was the point in having a "shut down corner". Deion played man, and the other teams that have SDC do the same.
It just free's up the other guys to cover more territory/assignments.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
theogt;1902969 said:
Sorry, I thought I stated in this thread that the defense played well except for one player - Jacques Reeves. It must have been another thread.

Really, the Giants were able to run at will on us. Don’t look at the stats because the Giants hardly had the ball. It is what they did with it when they had it that is important. What about Henry missing tackles and giving up easy yards underneath? Roy Williams stunk and id say Hamlin didnt play great either, he gave up an easy TD. I will give you Newman as playing well. D Ware played ok and Canty was good. Those three i will give you.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1902993 said:
Really, the Giants were able to run at will on us. Don’t look at the stats because the Giants hardly had the ball. It is what they did with it when they had it that is important. What about Henry missing tackles and giving up easy yards underneath? Roy Williams stunk and id say Hamlin didnt play great either, he gave up an easy TD. I will give you Newman as playing well. D Ware played ok and Canty was good. Those three i will give you.
No, they didn't run at will on us. That's precisely why we were able to get the ball back to our offense twice in the final few minutes of the game.

chargrove

Reaction score
Why the heck didn't they EVER use Julius Jones as a punt returner???

He was an OUTSTANDING punt returner at Notre Dame, for crying out loud!!!!!!

Where was Hurd????

What about Stanback returning kickoffs back with Miles Austin??? And what about trying to get him in the game a little on a few trick plays for the entire season which they didn't???

And what about trick plays??? How about a reverse or a flea flicker or something for crying out loud. Have you ever seen such a VANILLA playbook as we had yesterday on offense? Pitiful. I am so sad today.

Jin Rummy

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is surprised, considering the thread title is "You can't say you didn't see it coming". A lot of us, well, I'll speak for myself... but I am immensely frustrated that problems we've had ALL year never got fixed. Cowboys were winning big, and had a record to back it up, so I guess everyone just let the small things slide. The Patriots fix the small things week in week out, which probably explains why they're undefeated.

notherbob

Reaction score
I feel sorry for the folks who paid those high prices for tickets to the game and then had to watch the Cowboys melt like a cheap candle. That's gotta feel something like losing your shirt at a poker game.

cowboyz

Reaction score
it's not so much the offense that carried the cowboys, but was always able to find the romo magic.

they overcame countless turnovers, penalties, defensive miscues because romo always made the magical play. it just ran out on that 3rd down pass to crayton.

the team was laughing and enjoying themselves even when they made mistakes because they thought romo would win it in the end.

Boysboy

Reaction score
playmakers;1902459 said:
Our mistakes and glaring weakness were never improved since day one. For starters, the pass defense.

A. If you remember the Giants put 35 up on us week 1 and had about a billion yards. Ok, you say a new coach playing a good offense, it might be the team not being familar with the defense.

B. Week 2, against a pitful Miami team. Fact of the matter is, they should of beaten us. They drove up and down the field on us and shot themselves in the foot. Once again, the problem was glaring, we keep giving up anything under 12 yards. Chambers had about 10 catches for 90 yards. If the Dolphins would have been patient they would have won that game.

Make a long story short, the same could be said when we played the Patriots, Lions, both Commander games, vs Eagles, and Packers. The only reason why we won 90 percent of those games is because our offense carried us. Lets throw some numbers out there

(rough estimate)
Brady 350 yards
Kitna 350 yards
Campbell 342 yards
Rodgers 300 yards
Manning 350 yards
Collins ???? I know he had a good game

Now I will make a bold statement that Ive been saying since week 1. It isnt the players its the SCHEME. We play so much zone coverage that leaves so many areas open on the field. Newman, for example, always jams his guy in the slot and stays close to the line in the zone. Reeves and Henery play about 12 yards off and stay there and hope the linebackers get over in time to cut off the 8 yard hooks. Well, the LB have to see if its going to be a run before they can run over and that leaves enough time for the 8 yard hitch, the out, square in, etc. What plays killed us today? Toomers catch was about a 12 yard out. I know we missed tackles but it was open. The 49 sec drive before the half take away the 20 yard out to Boss and all you have are the 8-10 yard routes I mentioned. That entire drive was zone coverage. We rushed four and played zone.

In the 4th quarter, when we needed the ball, we played bump and run man coverage and stopped the Giants. These players can not play zone coverage. I mean when you have Greg Ellis out covering a zone should say enough. This team has the personal for a 4-3 not a 3-4. Our offense hide our defense all season. When teams figured out Jason Garrett our defense wasnt good enough to keep teams off the field, therefore, leading to our demise.

Reason number 2

Speacil teams. Patrick Crayton must be the worst kick returner in history. All season we have gotten almost nothing in returns. On the same lines teams have been getting good returns on us. Can anyone argue that speacil teams wasn't the difference in today's game? We kept staring on our 3, 10, 20 while they were starting on the 30, 40, and our 40. One fact that probably everyone forgets is the drive that really beat us, the one right before the half, was started by a kickoff that was caught at about the 15 yard line. I think it was by design too because it was kicked high. It will be hard to argue that speacil teams wasnt that good all season. Like I said, it wasn't like you didnt see it coming. Wade is a decent coach but he never fixed or adjusted in any way. Why not try a new returner. Why play zone week after week when we repeatly get killed by it. Thanks to the offense in the first 12 weeks, this team might have finished 9-7 with an average offense. Its questions that have to be answered.

Sorry...but this is a DUMB thread...Newman and Henry haven't been 100% all year. You also forgot to mention how Newman didn't play the first 2 games you mentioned, and Henry missed Oct entirely(and only played in Dime in Nov).

kbman

Reaction score
notherbob;1903784 said:
I feel sorry for the folks who paid those high prices for tickets to the game and then had to watch the Cowboys melt like a cheap candle. That's gotta feel something like losing your shirt at a poker game.

I was thinking the same thing, :laugh2:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I never saw that Flo Illegal motion coming. Nah screw sarcasm - he brutally does that every damn game.

We limped into playoffs. The whole Romo rock star thing in Cabo. Wade's personailty - Crayton running his mouth.

The warning signals were there.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1902716 said:
I think what we could see coming is this team taking a big dump in the playoffs after falling apart the last month of the season.
pretty much how I feel

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;1904690 said:
Sorry...but this is a DUMB thread...Newman and Henry haven't been 100% all year. You also forgot to mention how Newman didn't play the first 2 games you mentioned, and Henry missed Oct entirely(and only played in Dime in Nov).

Yeah and the Giants were missing CBs, safeties and other key players and still handled us when it mattered.

All of these apologists who bring up injuries as an excuse should shut up because the Giants should have lost yesterday if that were the case. A team has to fight through injuries in this league. In fact, Dallas was one of the more healthy teams throughout the regular season and going into the playoffs. The Chargers were missing their starting QB and RB yesterday for important parts of that playoff game and they still pulled it off. It's a good thread. The only thing thats "dumb" is your recycled post.

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
Jin Rummy;1903361 said:
I don't think anyone is surprised, considering the thread title is "You can't say you didn't see it coming". A lot of us, well, I'll speak for myself... but I am immensely frustrated that problems we've had ALL year never got fixed. Cowboys were winning big, and had a record to back it up, so I guess everyone just let the small things slide. The Patriots fix the small things week in week out, which probably explains why they're undefeated.

I think the coaches and players got as complacent as all the "13-3" people on this site. Anything that happened negatively to us was answered back with a "well just shut up cause we're 13-3 you troll". That's fine when its fans saying it, but when ur coaches start thinking the same thing, then it's REAL bad.

RuGGeR

Reaction score
It seems to me every press conference Phillips sidesteps questions or is very vage.
It has been bugging me all season but, I was content going with the flow.
I really think we were riding the Big Tuna Wave this year.
I really don't like Wade as a coach.
He just isn't a motivator. He doesn't make me want to play for him.
He doesn't seem like a leader but more like one of the Seven Dwarfs.
He's like a nice old grandfather that never gets mad.

We don't see behind closed doors and I could be very wrong but, that's how I see it.