You draft off combines, I'll draft off tapes

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Three key words here ........balance and perspective

So true, the combine is just a tool in the process.

One that that shouldn’t be overvalued OR undervalued as there is some correlation to NFL success based on certain numbers.
Combine should be used to validate tape. Not only the correlation between NFL success, but there are also thresholds an athlete needs to hit to be athletic enough for the NFL.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Three key words here ........balance and perspective

I remember when Poe was a big dividing force in Cowboys nation in 2012. Combine stud with bad tape. However, when you really looked at his tape criticially, you saw a player that had laughably( literally) bad rushing technique, particularly when he was rushed from a 5 Tech spot. What you also saw was a player that was completely unmovable at a 0 Tech spot when asked to do an NT's primary job. You also saw a player that played with a very good.

Poe's tape showed a player that was both underdeveloped, and misused. When veiwed closed, it also showed a player that when used properly, was very effective. Poe has had a very solid career, and at a point even looked like he may become elite. He had developed, for a time, into an effective interior rusher. However, I think a change schemes reverted him back to a soley two gap player. He didnt develope into a player that could effect all aspects of the game fron any scheme. Which in the end nay have made him somewhat of a reach at his draft position

Poe to me has always been one of the more interesting cases as far as evaluating prospects

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Combine should be used to validate tape. Not only the correlation between NFL success, but there are also thresholds an athlete needs to hit to be athletic enough for the NFL.
Spot on. I still can't believe the Metcalf kid ran a 4.33 when I watched him it didn't seem like he played that fast.

MaaS

Reaction score

Exactly. The combine is also a way of trying to put context around tape for some guys.

If a small school RB looks explosive on tape, are they NFL-level explosive, or was the competition just a bit slower than expected? It's not always clear.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Spot on. I still can't believe the Metcalf kid ran a 4.33 when I watched him it didn't seem like he played that fast.
Straight line speed really. I dont see him as a #1 WR in the NFL. Steelers may be a good fit as a deep decoy opposite JuJu.

I wouldnt draft him in the first round

tm1119

Reaction score
Straight line speed really. I dont see him as a #1 WR in the NFL. Steelers may be a good fit as a deep decoy opposite JuJu.

I wouldnt draft him in the first round

Not saying Metcalf is a lock or anything, but can he not be the next Mike Evans? Or even Alshon Jeffery...There can definitely be a successful WR that is physically dominant and not a technician route runner.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not saying Metcalf is a lock or anything, but can he not be the next Mike Evans? Or even Alshon Jeffery...There can definitely be a successful WR that is physically dominant and not a technician route runner.
Those guys move far more fluidly on the field than Metcalf does

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

TO was a technician running routes but I wouldn’t say he was a fluid athlete.

Verdammung

Reaction score
I prefer players with good tape and not crap for measurables. That's the extent to which I factor in combine measurables into my draft grade; just don't suck.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Most people here would draft based on 3 minute YouTube highlight videos.
I usually watch around 4 games worth of snaps on each player I am interested in seeing in a poition of need. So this year will be RT,S,DT,DE and maybe some slot WR Plenty of YT vids with compete games worth of snaps for majority.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
To be fair it is for all teams about 10% weight in their evaluations.
Oh I know. Film matters the most. The Combine is a confirmation/validation process and sometimes a prompt for re-evaluation. The Combine is still very, very valuable to football decision makers.

DanA

Reaction score
Two DE's with equal tape
DE 1: 34" arms, weighs 270lbs and runs a sub 7.00 3-cone
DE 2: 32" arms, weight 250lbs and runs a 8.00 3-cone

DE 1 is gonna out develop DE 2 9/10. It's a similar story all positions. Measurables matter.