You Poor Saps. It Must Be Hell Where You Drive

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Published: 07.01.2008

Study: Tucson ranks fifth for safe driving amid midsize U.S. cities :omg:

The Associated Press

An insurance study ranks Tucson as fifth for safe driving among cities with populations between 500,000 and 1 million.

Researchers with Allstate Insurance Co. analyzed two years of internal crash data to calculate the chance that drivers in 193 of the nation's most populated cities would be involved in an accident.

Allstate, which claims a 12 percent market share of the nation's auto insurance policies, found that a Tucson motorist averages one accident every 11 years, compared to the national rate of once every 10 years.

Phoenix ranks the highest for safety among cities with more than 1 million people with a collision likely once every 9.8 years.

Allstate has once again found that Sioux Falls has the safest drivers in the nation, marking the third straight year that South Dakota's largest city has topped the list.

Sioux Falls motorists average an accident once every 14.6 years, the study found.

The city's rate improved slightly from last year's average of one accident every 13.7 years.

Officials in Sioux Falls again attributed the ranking to strong traffic engineering and driver education programs.

Following Sioux Falls were Fort Collins, Colo.; Chattanooga, Tenn.; Sterling Heights, Mich.; Warren, Mich.; Knoxville, Tenn.; Grand Rapids, Mich.; Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Lexington, Ky.; and Detroit.

Motorists in Washington, D.C., were most at risk, according to the study, averaging an accident once every 5.4 years.

Drivers in Detroit, ranked 11th in population, are likely to experience a crash once every 12.4 years, the best among cities with between 500,000 and 1 million people.

Massachusetts' cities were not included as the company does not write policies in the state.

Allstate planned to give away free gas at a Sioux Falls filling station Tuesday to reward residents for their ranking.

Researchers studied about 2 million damage claims defined as any collision resulting in property damage filed between January 2005 and December 2006. A weighted average of the two-year numbers determined the annual percentages.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
We drive offensively around here. It keeps you on your toes and gets you ready for NASCAR. :laugh2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Well, I'm down there every Christmas and I think people drive slow because it's so damn dark at night. Something about an absence of street lights due to an observatory or whatever.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
bbgun;2133012 said:
Well, I'm down there every Christmas and I think people drive slow because it's so damn dark at night. Something about an absence of street lights due to an observatory or whatever.

Or it's because there are so many old people like Hos on the streets. :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seoul, South Korea is by far the worst place I have ever driven.

I could tell some funny stories about driving in South Korea as a whole.

Just flat out terrible drivers.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2133058 said:

I always LOL when people say, "there's so many terrible drivers."

It's like, everyone says that about everyone else.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Poor ******* is right, New Jersey has some wretched places to drive and I have to hit them all on my daily 100 mile commute.

A week and a half ago, my car was totaled, when some asshat couldn't master the fine art of driving straight without slamming into someone's rear end. It's an everyday occurence.

And the mantra of 'he has breaks' is often given as a wonderful excuse for simply pulling out into traffic, in front of a speeding car.

How's the art field in Arizona, Hostile? I need a change of scenery...

:(

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
vta;2133189 said:
Poor ******* is right, New Jersey has some wretched places to drive and I have to hit them all on my daily 100 mile commute.

A week and a half ago, my car was totaled, when some asshat couldn't master the fine art of driving straight without slamming into someone's rear end. It's an everyday occurence.

And the mantra of 'he has breaks' is often given as a wonderful excuse for simply pulling out into traffic, in front of a speeding car.

How's the art field in Arizona, Hostile? I need a change of scenery...

:(
South of me is a whole community of artists called Tubac. Kind of a cool place actually. Sedona has a few as well. It's beautiful there.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
3 people died this weekend in my neck of the woods, from accidents

Annapolis must be at the bottom of the list

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2133058 said:

did you have a happy time while you were driving? ;) *wink* *wink* *I stress the wink* *wink*