You really are just a commodity...

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Attention holiday shoppers: your cell phone may be tracked this year.
Starting on Black Friday and running through New Year's Day, two U.S. malls -- Promenade Temecula in southern California and Short Pump Town Center in Richmond, Va. -- will track guests' movements by monitoring the signals from their cell phones.

Link

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Short Pump Towne Center is near us. They said on the local news that they aren't gaining detailed data, only analyzing store to store travel, etc.

If you are seriously worried about it, you can just turn off your phone.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Faerluna;4272214 said:
Short Pump Towne Center is near us. They said on the local news that they aren't gaining detailed data, only analyzing store to store travel, etc.

If you are seriously worried about it, you can just turn off your phone.
Why would a place need to know store-to-store travel?

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
tupperware;4272224 said:
Why would a place need to know store-to-store travel?

I guess they are trying to see what sales people are really interested in, what stores get the most traffic, etc. It's all about marketing.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Just get a special case for your phone made out out lead and maybe a special carbon fiber shielding.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
People should not have to turn off their phone to prevent being tracked.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
viman96;4272314 said:
People should not have to turn off their phone to prevent being tracked.

No, they don't. They can just shop somewhere else. *shrug*

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
viman96;4272390 said:
Missing the boat I see...

No, I'm not. You feel that some major civil right has been violated by stores wanting to know (anonymously) how you shop. You think it's a complete invasion of your privacy and how dare they take data without your consent or opinion.

I, on the other hand, don't care what they do. They want to know that I'm going from Macy's to Eddie Bauer via the food court, whatever.

If you feel offended by what they are doing, you can simply shop elsewhere.

For comparison, if you're watching TV and there's a show you don't like that comes on, it's your choice to watch something else, since there are other channels available.